My Weekends Work!!!

Hi All,

Up until now i have kept my 2 ferrets in a rabbit hutch, which is not ideal as they dont have much room to wonder around and they end up trying to murder each other!

So this weekend i decided to build a large run area, and put the Hutch on top and a tube down to the run.

The run is now finished but i havent bought any tubing yet so i have just lifted their hutch into the run so they can chill out, have a wonder around and still jump back into their bed.

It took me and a mate 2 afternoons and cost about £100(thats treated timber, screws, hinges, nails etc) which is pretty good as i think my house would get blown down before this bad boy!

I have put some pics up, at the moment the whole lid lifts off but i may add a gate to the front at the weekend.

Take it easy

Edd

Hutch5.jpg

Hutch7.jpg

Hutch8.jpg

My co-builder with my Whippet.

Hutch14.jpg

Hutch6.jpg

Hutch10.jpg

Cracking job mate! :thumbs:

What I would advise, is that you get that roof fastened tightly down as soon as you can. I had an 'episode' a few weeks ago, that resulted in me chasing ferrets around the neighbours gardens at 5:30 in the morning! The roof was held on with kitchen assembly blocks, and they didn't hold against an unexpected bout of strong wind we had.

Here's what happened! : http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/index...mp;#entry663088

YEah i will be putting a latch on and some handles to lift it with, also putting some struts in so that when the lid is lifted you can secure it up, as it weighs a bloody ton and that coming down on your noggin would knock you out thats for sure.

I think its probably over engineered but the timber that is narrower wont take many screws or U tacks so this was the best choice, think it was just over 2 inches by 2 inches.

ANyone know anywhere to get good tubing? Don't want to have to buy 20 meters of it if i wont be using it all!

I am about 6'3 so can reach down but i am going to put a door in one of the panels at the front as well, just didnt quite have enough timber to do it, and i live 15 miles away from the nearest place so i couldn't be arsed to go all the way back.

Cleaning i can do without the door but if i get a door the mrs could use it as a summer house as she is knee high to a munchkin!

Good looking job there. :victory:

However your blockboard may be roofing grade but it will definately need treating, first bit of moisture and ferret toileting and it will soak it all up like a sponge.

Best place to get your run pipe is from roadside contractors /Highways contractors. You should be able to find some that are replacing 4-6" land drain.

This shouldnt be a problem for you because they are always digging up the bloody roads.

atb :thumbs:

good looking run, would have put a steeper incline/slope on the roof, even felted you dont want rain laying on it, and maybe fix the hutch to the side with the pipe going through, as if you put it on top as you suggested, you'll have to move it everytime you want to open the top