My First Buck

As some of you know, I was over in Ireland last week, visiting a friend of mine. During the trip. I had a few opportunities to go out Deer Stalking.

The Buck and Stag season had started over there on the 1st of September. We were either going to come up against a Fallow or Red.

After an unsuccessful evening stalk, not actually spying a Deer, we headed home and decided to try again the next morning.

So next morning comes, we got up and ready to go pretty early, and headed off once more on the road to the stalking grounds. We had passed by a few places and pulled in off the road to glass the area but nothing so far, by this time it was around 7:30. We passed by a small lane while driving along the narrow road, when Sounder stopped and remembered that a fellow stalker had told him to have a look up that lane, and the field which was at the top of it. We pulled in and he went off to glass the field. He came back down the track, with no expression on his face, I thought it was another blank, but he put a smile on my face and said "There's a whaler of a Buck up there!". I took out the 6.5, generously loaned to me to stalk with while I was there, she was loaded with Federal 140gr Soft Points. I walked slowly but steadily up the lane, and looked over a gate and just struggled to see the Buck, he was there alright :icon_eek: I handed Sounder the rifle, and slipped over the gate. To my right there was a high patch of Fern and bramble which I stuck close to, and worked my way up to the corner of said cover, to look out into the field. I crept up to the corner, rifle in one hand, shooting sticks in the other. Looked around the cover, and into the field. There were two there! Rutting away like never before. I watched them through the scope for a while, going at it hell for leather. I was in no hurry. But it all went very quickly. They moved back from each other. The one with the bigger of antlers was to my right and the only one I had a clear shot of. He put his head up, I put the crosshairs where I wanted them, and in an instant, BOOOM! The un-modded 6.5 flattened him where he stood. I think the other one hasn't stopped running yet and is probably deaf! :laugh:

Sounder and Dannyboy3, who were on the other side of the gate, heard the shot, saw my thumbs up, and climbed over.

We walked up, and found him where I dropped him, the amount of adrenalin in him must have been unbelievable. He was shot in the Heart and was bled out there on the spot but kicked for a good 15 minutes afterwards. We had a look around the field and where they had been rutting was worn through to the earth! They must have been at it a while.

We Gralloched him and dragged him off to the truck.

It always pays to check an area you have just remembered it seems, sometimes it pays off!

Well my first Buck, courtesy of both the 6.5 and Sounder. My thanks go out to him especially. ;) It was an amazing "first", one which I'm rightly proud of.

Here's a pic.

Regards

SS :thumbs:

P9230631.jpg

P9230632.jpg