need help on working my mastiff x greyhound

ive been conditioning my boy ready for working but i need a few tips to help.

my boys a bullmastiff x greyhound and hes 11 months old hes as quick as my m8s suluki x in s straight line but lacks a bit when turning. is there any exercises i could do with him to make him turn quicker? hes quite agile he can jump pretty high and far but hes just a bit cumbersome. he nearly broke my m8s suluki x leg the other day while out on a hunt he ran straight into the suluki and sent him flying. the suluki couldnt get up for a good 5 mins and then when he did he couldnt out any weight on his leg. luckly it wasnt broken and hes ok now. hes a hard dog aswell me birds got a horse and he was chasing it and snapping at its hocks the horse booted him in the chest, he rolled to the ground didnt yelp or anything then continued to chase the horse. i think hed be a good worker but i just need help in controling his power. heres some pics

Tyebigbully.jpg

DSC00380.jpg

DSC00386.jpg

DSC00374.jpg

i know the other dog in the photo isnt a suluki before any of you smart arses point it out lol :tongue2: but i didnt have my camera with me that day.

Maybe you should use it to hunt Saluki's, Horses and defo people :thumbs: . Dont really know about owt else I think it would be lucky. You could use it for a terrierman lurcher or could be used in another cuntry for pigs etc. Hope you wern't relying on that to catch rabbits ??

Sorry forgot to say it looks a nice dog though. Is it a good gaurd?

Edited by leegreen

Don't forget that at 11 months old your dog is only half way to being all grown up. He will have put most of his energy into growing those big bones up until now: he still has at least another year to finish developing, in fact I'd say that he won't be physically fully mature until he reaches 3 years old.

Don't try and force maturity and muscle on him before he's ready. His shoulder blades (the last bones in the body to finish growing) won't be completely developed before he is about 17 months old. So with all that muscle that still has to develop once his skeleton is grown, it stands to reason that he won't be able to control his body properly yet.

I wouldn't be doing any really strenuous work with him yet: just normal exercise, bit of lead work, bit of running: lay off any serious high jumping until he's 18 months old or you could damage his joints. I'm not saying don't work him, but don't expect too much from him yet: give him the time he needs.

Swimming is great exercise for growing dogs if you have rivers or lakes: he won't be hammering the ground too much doing that. My GSD x coming up to 2 years old now is only just really looking like a mature dog now, plus she's a bitch which mature faster than dogs.

All good things come to those that wait!

ill weight him and measure him later but when he was 9 months old he was 30kg so i should think that hes put on a bit since. at 9 months he was quite lanky but since then hes started to bulk out a bit. hes a good guard aswell at night hes super alert and if me birds walking him then he guards her constantly. some p***y tried breaking into my house when he was about 7 months old and he went mad and charged at the guy just missing taking a chunk out of his leg before he escaped back out of the kitchen window. but in the day time hes alright with strangers aslong as i introduce him to them. does anybody know of anyone who has a mastiff cross on this forum that could piont me in the right direction? or arent they realy a lurcher mans dog? excuse my ignorance but whats a terrierman lurcher? and what do they do? cheers for the replys and tips

ill weight him and measure him later but when he was 9 months old he was 30kg so i should think that hes put on a bit since. at 9 months he was quite lanky but since then hes started to bulk out a bit. hes a good guard aswell at night hes super alert and if me birds walking him then he guards her constantly. some p***y tried breaking into my house when he was about 7 months old and he went mad and charged at the guy just missing taking a chunk out of his leg before he escaped back out of the kitchen window. but in the day time hes alright with strangers aslong as i introduce him to them. does anybody know of anyone who has a mastiff cross on this forum that could piont me in the right direction? or arent they realy a lurcher mans dog? excuse my ignorance but whats a terrierman lurcher? and what do they do? cheers for the replys and tips

hi mate a terriersman lurcher will mark foxes to ground and draw a fox at the end of a dig and catch bolted foxes your dog should be more than able im sure he will catch a few rabbits but surely you would be better of with a whippet or smaller lurcher if rabbits where your intended quarry

robert

just keep up the excersize and try and run him on a few easy rabbits that he might have a good chase on dont go mad give him time practice makes perect and feed him the rabbits he catches it will give him the tast for them thus inprove his prey drive and try not to feed him before you go out try and keep him a bit hungry when he realises that what he catches is dinner he will try harder

its all trial and error he seems like he will be a good fox dog keep taking him out on the lamp and keep trying you will get there in the end :thumbs:

atb

rk

how do you train them not to bite horses. i know some woman who tryed stock training with her mastiff x, she tied it up to the fence and let one of her smaller horses kick it and hoped that it would be scared. but the dog wasnt all it did was make it more aggressive to the horses and one day it broke free and ripped the horses neck open. apparently they were wacking the dog with a stick and it was just hanging there untill the horse came down to its knees and the horse died. obviously i dont want that to happen to my girlfriends horse! ive got another question aswell my local common is full of muntjak and say if my dog was to accidently :whistling: run after one do you think hed be able to handle it or should i keep him on a lead until hes a bit older?

how do you train them not to bite horses. i know some woman who tryed stock training with her mastiff x, she tied it up to the fence and let one of her smaller horses kick it and hoped that it would be scared. but the dog wasnt all it did was make it more aggressive to the horses and one day it broke free and ripped the horses neck open. apparently they were wacking the dog with a stick and it was just hanging there untill the horse came down to its knees and the horse died. obviously i dont want that to happen to my girlfriends horse! ive got another question aswell my local common is full of muntjak and say if my dog was to accidently :whistling: run after one do you think hed be able to handle it or should i keep him on a lead until hes a bit older?

that would be illegal mate. stock training takes time,usually you take them near stock(horses etc)and keep them on the lead,if they look to interested tell them no and really mean it,keep going untill they stop looking but i wouldnt trust them 100% for a while.

scotty