hand rearing puppies

Dev how long are the adopted pups on the foster bitch?

If she's just finished a litter her milk might be drying up.

I would get the milk supplement and give it to the pups but I'd leave them on the foster bitch as they might bring her milk back down.

I hand reared a litter years ago and although I did my part 100% they were not as good as a naturally reared litter.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for all the help lads , the foster bitch has loads of milk as we took her pups off her and replaced them with the new pups, her own pups are 5& 1/2 weeks, but are thriving and eating mince and tripe a few times a day so they will be fine without her.there is only 1 pup left off the sick bitch, there was only 2 and 1 died this evening.the 1 thats living seems to be doing ok but will get that lactol to supplement her. thanks again everyone

hi mate, sorry to hear about your bitch. i have used lactol twice over the years and the pups have been fine both times. get it from your vet and follow the instructions. becareful not to give them to much as it is easy to drown them. I used a baby bottle,boiled the teat in water first to kill any germs. They only need a tiny amount each time. Good luck. if you want anymore advice pm anytime mate.

Lactol & whelpie are both good subsitutes. With regards to 'mum' -is vet sure she hasn't got infection. Only ask as rottie rescue recently had bitch give birth to 15 pups, she did loose a few for one reason or another but within week of having them she was in bad way & she'd got massive infection. She was spayed & has since recovered & pups were bottle fed from just over week old. 9 survived using whlepie & lot of patience.

Hope things improve for mum & pups

we have a bitch that had pups last week, she has been very unwell since she had them and the vet thinks she could have parvo. the pups are 1 week old and we have taken them off the mother and put them onto another bitch that has just finished rearing a litter herself. the 2nd bitch has taken the pups in and will allow them to suckle but she is not as interested in them as she was in her own pups and they are not thriving like the first litter did.i was wondering if any of you experianced breeders out there could tell me if there is a milk formula for pups that we could give to them as to supplement their feeding?

welpi is a bitch milk supplement you can get it from the vets it costs about 7 qiud ive reared 3 litters of english bulls on it mate cant fault it at first week every 2 hours 2 week we were feeding every 3 hours 3rd week every 4

a small tub of full fat yogart, 1 egg yoke, 1 small tin of evaporated milk and a tiny pinch of salt. whisk together and feed. it will last in the fridge for a week . i was given this recipe off and old fella and it worked a treat on a pup i hand reared from 2 days old. that lactol gave the pup the runs and this formular stopped that and he gained weight grate on it.

dont forget you must help the pup to toilet as they carnt do it on their own.

we have a bitch that had pups last week, she has been very unwell since she had them and the vet thinks she could have parvo. the pups are 1 week old and we have taken them off the mother and put them onto another bitch that has just finished rearing a litter herself. the 2nd bitch has taken the pups in and will allow them to suckle but she is not as interested in them as she was in her own pups and they are not thriving like the first litter did.i was wondering if any of you experianced breeders out there could tell me if there is a milk formula for pups that we could give to them as to supplement their feeding?
bad luck mate, go to a agiculture suppler and get calf/lamb milk suppliment it will have doses etc on it , not cheap but will get them thru to lapping, i would be more worried over the bitch re parvo and passing it on , good luck

the calf/lamb stuff is the ticket how many pups ? iask becuase it is a lot of work with a big litter

good luck and post some pic's if they make it :drink:

there is only one pup left fat city, antg, the foster bitch is cleaning and toileting them, thanks lads for all your help. the sick bitch was taken to the vet a day or 2 after the pups were born, he thought her womb hadnt closed and had got infected, he checked incase a dead pup was stuck in her but there wasnt.he gave her an injection and a course of tablets. then at the weekend she was still bad so we took her to a different vet, he thinks it could be parvo, he said sometimes after a bitch has pups it can happen even tho she was vaccinated as a puppy.so he gave us stuff for her.

not trying to be a smart arse but was it not pyometra the vet said and not parvo, pyometra is an infection of the uterus or womb can happen when a bitch has a season or pups or for no apperent reason , it can kill the bitch very quickly.

not trying to be a smart arse but was it not pyometra the vet said and not parvo, pyometra is an infection of the uterus or womb can happen when a bitch has a season or pups or for no apperent reason , it can kill the bitch very quickly.

i dont think your being a smart arse, the 2nd vet said parvo, but i doesnt matter now, unfortunatley the bitch died during the night.R.I.P Ruby

Sorry to hear that about the bitch,bad news for you.

Last time I had to hand rear pups the vet I used sent me to a fella for goats milk.

She said it was similar to a bitches milk in fat content etc,dont know if it was but i took her advice anyway.

Pups did well and turned out ok