Bald Ferret!!!

LDR

Hi LDR

As you know but others may not, we run a ferret rescue. We have lots of ferrets like yours just now,- even our good ferret vet is not sure the real reason, but we would not worry too much about this. It will just grow back given time. I'd say changing coat, as the hair loss could be from anywhere. Its too late just now to get a photo but we have one ferret, with a bit hair near the feet, and on the head but BALD everywhere else,- a speyed ferret. We did think a hormone imbalance, but no-one really knows for sure. Ours are not short of vitamins etc, and no mites.

Pointing out most of our ferrets with hair loss only lose a little, and do not all go bald.

When the time comes, a Jill jab is £3.50 from Robson & Prescott, Morpeth, Blyth or Seaton Delaval.

If your still worried, a vet is the best to see, but they may sell you all-sorts, and you will find the hair will just grow back.

We have seen this also in a trapped wild one.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not a ferret "changing coat"....!

Ferrets shed totally different, they don't get naked in their necks.

Take it from me mate that ferret in that picture is malting.

Julia that picture you posted of your ferret in season IS NOT IN SEASON she has finished season.

Can I just ask how long have you been keeping ferrets?.By the way they don't all shed at the same time.

I'd tend to agree. If you look closely, it's only the guard hairs that have come off, it's not completely bald.

Maybe it is just the guard hair, none of the others have this problem, i didnt say she was completely bald.......................

I didn't say you did, LDR mate. :thumbs:

I was trying to say that if it was anything serious, it probably wouldn't just be the guard hairs. Some of these pet owners read something on the internet about hair loss, presume that they're ferret is about to explode and automatically think the worst.

para - I have been keeping ferrets for 4 years now. Maybe I seem like a newbie against those of you who have been keeping ferrets for many more years.

And no, i'm not a vet. But I have seen my share of ferrets through these years. And in my experience, I have never seen a ferret shed like this. Of course it could be that the ferret is changing coat, but I would seriosly considering taking it to the vet, in a hurry.

That's my advise. Others have given their advise....

Julia that picture you posted of your ferret in season IS NOT IN SEASON she has finished season.

Can I just ask how long have you been keeping ferrets?.By the way they don't all shed at the same time.

I'd tend to agree. If you look closely, it's only the guard hairs that have come off, it's not completely bald.

Maybe it is just the guard hair, none of the others have this problem, i didnt say she was completely bald.......................

I was trying to say that if it was anything serious, it probably wouldn't just be the guard hairs. Some of these pet owners read something on the internet about hair loss, presume that they're ferret is about to explode and automatically think the worst.

No probs mate, i dont think its life threatening...........not for me at least........... :whistling::whistling:

No probs mate, i dont think its life threatening...........not for me at least........... :whistling::whistling:

I have been keeping ferrets for 51yrs (frighting taught) and I learn more about them every day.

I would not take or recommend anyone take a ferret to the vet because it is malting as that ferret clearly is.

the guys only asking a little advice as he has never seen a ferret lose hair like this before ,for what reason why it is and pictures dont show the true story does it have to turn into a playground fight .if he hadnt had bothered in asking and just left the ferret something more serious could have been wrong with it and then everybody would have jumped down his throat for waiting so long .i also cannot understand why pet owners would want to join a hunting site when there are pet forums i guess its the same as terrier shows and how many terriers do work whats stood there.it doesnt matter how long you have been keeping ferrets you still learn new things and if you dont ask then you will never know

so she has been in season and not mated ,but she is showing no signs of being in season now,then it could be a womb infection and then its best to take to the vets to check her out

Yeah thats right, no swelling left now, so i assumed she'd come out of heat???? Will get her checked out and jabbed if needs be.....cheers for all advice....... :thumbs:

I've never read so much shite about a ferret in malt.The ferret is malting "getting a new coat".

some ferrets will still be on heat no problem But if you want to give the vet your money I'm sure he'll take it. :victory:

the voise of reason.

para is right mate, some ferts loose it like that, i have two that were like that 2 week ago . now the new under coat is coming through

Its just a hormonal thing as far as im aware, 'breeding season alapecia(sp)'. My 2 jills get it, one worse than the other. Both of them loose almost all of it on their tails ('rat tail') and one looses quite abit on her flanks. But its nothing to worry about, now their new coats are coming through real dense on their bodies, just their tails that havnt come good yet, but they will. Ill try and find a link to explain it........

Hi LDR

As you know but others may not, we run a ferret rescue. We have lots of ferrets like yours just now,- even our good ferret vet is not sure the real reason, but we would not worry too much about this. It will just grow back given time. I'd say changing coat, as the hair loss could be from anywhere. Its too late just now to get a photo but we have one ferret, with a bit hair near the feet, and on the head but BALD everywhere else,- a speyed ferret. We did think a hormone imbalance, but no-one really knows for sure. Ours are not short of vitamins etc, and no mites.

Pointing out most of our ferrets with hair loss only lose a little, and do not all go bald.

When the time comes, a Jill jab is £3.50 from Robson & Prescott, Morpeth, Blyth or Seaton Delaval.

If your still worried, a vet is the best to see, but they may sell you all-sorts, and you will find the hair will just grow back.

Thats good advice Gin! :yes: LDR, just take her to Robson and Prescot in Blyth. At least if she gets the jill jab it may help her out a bit if its due to her season and all that. Personally though, I think she´s just losing her hair due to the time of year. Good luck and see you soon! We´ve got a big rabbit problem to sort out when Im back!! :drink:

Hi LDR

Thats good advice Gin! :yes: LDR, just take her to Robson and Prescot in Blyth. At least if she gets the jill jab it may help her out a bit if its due to her season and all that. Personally though, I think she´s just losing her hair due to the time of year. Good luck and see you soon! We´ve got a big rabbit problem to sort out when Im back!! :drink:

Did you have to see the PSO to get on here whilst you're away??????????? :clapper::clapper::clapper:

Hi LDR

Did you have to see the PSO to get on here whilst you're away??????????? :clapper::clapper::clapper:

Lol!! No luckily!! :clapper:

• 2 weeks later...

Well nearly 2 weeks on and its obviously been moulting as a few people said, her new coat is coming through lovely now.....strange how different they can be kept in the same manner, the other jill is already fully changed with her fur and never showed a spot of baldness..........guess we're always learning....... :yes: ...........thanks for the advice and help............... :thumbs: