side 2 side

hello guys i have got a hob and every time i go in the back yard he is going side 2 side in his cage i was just wondering if you could help. i feed him 2 times a day just in case it is food generated :hmm:

do you mean he is pacing back & forth ? how big is the cage & does he come out of it for a run round

Guest oldskool

i agree with deanflute... not big into ferrets but i went to the zoo (i wont mention its name) a few months ago and watched an elephant pace from corner to corner in a disturbing kind of repetative fashion... i think there is a name for it?? looked to me like he was on the verge of insanity

i agree with deanflute... not big into ferrets but i went to the zoo (i wont mention its name) a few months ago and watched an elephant pace from corner to corner in a disturbing kind of repetative fashion... i think there is a name for it?? looked to me like he was on the verge of insanity

its boredom

thanks for the link oldskool, looks an interesting site :thumbs:

Boredom and lack of space create an animal close to insanity: when you say the cage is alright, just exactly how big is it? You need to make it as big as you possibly can and put loads of pipes etc for the ferret to race up and down and in and out of. Do a search on here for ferret courts: there's been loads of good threads with some great set ups for ferrets pictured.

And yes: ferrets do far better if they have another ferret to play with as they're very social animals.

has he been castrated/vasectomised? If so then it wont be sex hes after.

The same applies to number of ferrets hes living with as to the size of the hutch. If you have enough space I'd say get another ferret for him to play with, even if he has one already, two is better. You know what they say, the more the merrier!

Edited by Coatesy900

sounds like to small of a hutch to me .. when i was a very little kid i got a ferret and tryed to keep it a secret from my parents. had it in my shed in a small home made hutch and mine used to pace then just faced up to the fact i cudnt make it any bigger + it was cruel to keep so i gave him away :(