Pigeon shooting 5s or 6s??

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7, 7.5, 8 and 9

In a 28g load. 7's are best for Pigeon in my opinion, an excellent pattern, and more than enough power to Kill a very soft feathered bird like the Pigeon.

If it will Kill a Carrion Crow, then it will kill a measly Pigeon.

Regards

SS :thumbs:

P.S And yes, I do use 7.5, 8 and 9, nothing wrong with them at all.

I asked a similar question a while back now

and i found that i can use the same cartridge for all my shooting, in a 12g i use 7.5 blue diamonds they are the combintation that suits me to a tee and im very confident with them, swap me over to a different cartridge of a 6 and it tends to screw my shooting up!

So my only useful piece of advice is find a cartridge that suits you and use it!

7, 7.5, 8 and 9

In a 28g load. 7's are best for Pigeon in my opinion, an excellent pattern, and more than enough power to Kill a very soft feathered bird like the Pigeon.

If it will Kill a Carrion Crow, then it will kill a measly Pigeon.

Regards

SS :thumbs:

P.S And yes, I do use 7.5, 8 and 9, nothing wrong with them at all.

Flippen 'ek SS How close are these pigeons, lots of lead in a 9 but runs out of steam very quickly!! Great for Skeet but never considered it for pigeon! :thumbs: 6 or 7 for pigeon my way, usually high and fast round here, but I still take them out on a regular basis with 5's (certainly not my first choice but often have a 5 loaded when one flies over)

Strangely enough took my lad out this afternoon as he was desperate for a few more pigeons with my 391 after he knocked down some on Bodmin Moor last weekend!

Also got a couple of boxes of 6.5 which I was given a few weeks ago...don't think I've ever seen, let alone fired 6.5 before but after using all but 12 of them today my lad did pretty well!!!

Once again the birds were all high and fast so I would not be happy with anything much lighter than this!!

hi what the best Pigeon shooting load and shot size?? :gunsmilie:

hi all,

i,ve shot using game bore clear pigeon plastic wad 6s 30g load for a long time with no problems.

i,ve recently acquired some new land but would prefer me to use fibre wads,

no problem i thought !! armed with clear pigeon fibre set off , plenty of shooting but could not do the birds any justice , hitting them but just knocking feathers out out of them , then over compensateing by pulling to far in front.

the gun is fixed choked so can not change that, do i try no 5s ?

sorry for hijacking the original post.

I asked a similar question a while back now

and i found that i can use the same cartridge for all my shooting, in a 12g i use 7.5 blue diamonds they are the combintation that suits me to a tee and im very confident with them, swap me over to a different cartridge of a 6 and it tends to screw my shooting up!

So my only useful piece of advice is find a cartridge that suits you and use it!

,Blue diamond 7.5,s, that takes me back, got through literally thousands of those on farms trying to keep the starlings off the maize clamps before the starlings were taken off the list.
  • 2 months later...