Stock breaking your dogs

When I got one of my dogs, at about 2 years old, she was indifferent to cats. Then the neighbourhood cats taunted her relentlessly from the top of the garden fence and now she hates them. Last year on holiday, someone had brought a cat camping with them :icon_eek: . It had crossed the campsite from their caravan and was hunting outside my van when I let my dog out for a wee. She had it and killed it in a second - she tossed it like a terrier and that was that, I had no time to intervene. The owners were incredibly reasonable.

I also have a dog who hates cats so much we couldn't pass one in the street when I first got him without major noise and pulling. He can now walk past them on the lead without too much yarping and salivating.

The neighbours' cats still sit on the top of the fence and taunt the dogs and one day one will probably slip up and fall in, in which case they'll almost certainly have it. Not much I can do about that. At least my garden isn't full of cat shit nowadays.

I'd never own a cat but I don't hate them. As I see it, they live very free, and therefore sometimes rather short, lives.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dogs are broken to livestock but not cats,reason is simple i dont have a cat.How exactly do you break a dog to cats if you dont own a cat? I have a problem now with my neighbours kitten climbing into my garden,but there is little i can do to change my dogs views on felines.As for dogs causing problems with farm cats,well i have been lamping and ratting at a dairy farm that has a large population of feral cats for twenty years,and i've never encountered a problem,as soon as the dogs are let out the cats vanish.I'd love my dogs to be steady around cats,but its really not that simple a task if you do not own cats.As for people using cats for target practice with airguns and slipping there lurchers on them,well kind of speaks volumes about the kind of people they are. :thumbdown:

My JRT is fine with my mothers cat in her house, she'll curl up next to her, give her a clean, etc, but it's a different story if she she's outside in the garden or out on the lead.

I break my dogs to cats for the simple reason that i park up at farms before i go onto their fields and sometimes hunt around farm buildings with my dogs,im off to two seperate farms tonight infact that ive hunted for many years but with no problem concerning my dogs and their cats,imo a big advantage of showing a responsible side to the farmer and keeping your permision.

Breaking them is no different from breaking them to any lifestock,get them among them and expose them as early as possible,if you dont have cats it may take more of a effort to take them to a freind or a farm ect that does but imo the effort is time well spent if your dogs are going to eventually come into contact with them.....i dont like a lot of grief at my door ;)

My dogs are broken to livestock but not cats,reason is simple i dont have a cat.How exactly do you break a dog to cats if you dont own a cat? I have a problem now with my neighbours kitten climbing into my garden,but there is little i can do to change my dogs views on felines.As for dogs causing problems with farm cats,well i have been lamping and ratting at a dairy farm that has a large population of feral cats for twenty years,and i've never encountered a problem,as soon as the dogs are let out the cats vanish.I'd love my dogs to be steady around cats,but its really not that simple a task if you do not own cats.As for people using cats for target practice with airguns and slipping there lurchers on them,well kind of speaks volumes about the kind of people they are. :thumbdown:

Not being funny mate but I'm betting your not a sheep or cattle owner either and you've managed to break them to that...I'm not preaching to the converted here but I'm sure you know someone with a cat that when you have a puppy its really very simple...much harder if the dog is an adult or has had a run in with them already. Dogs killing cats will only end in tears for both owners...of course accidents happen but people should at least try to minimise the risks by properly stock breaking their dogs. I agree a 100% with your last comment...ATB

Edited by undisputed
I break my dogs to cats for the simple reason that i park up at farms before i go onto their fields and sometimes hunt around farm buildings with my dogs,im off to two seperate farms tonight infact that ive hunted for many years but with no problem concerning my dogs and their cats,imo a big advantage of showing a responsible side to the farmer and keeping your permision.

Breaking them is no different from breaking them to any lifestock,get them among them and expose them as early as possible,if you dont have cats it may take more of a effort to take them to a freind or a farm ect that does but imo the effort is time well spent if your dogs are going to eventually come into contact with them.....i dont like a lot of grief at my door ;)

:clapper: spot on!

cats are classed as feral if there more than 30 yards from their home...think its 30 yards...... your allowed to kill feral cats arent you?

i hate the fcking things. kill them all i say

Yeah why stop there why not do away with stock breaking and just kill anything that gets in your way...being a responsible dog owner is over :doh::doh: rated anyway

so why does a cat have the right to come into the garden and shit all over the place, and fck about with the bluetit's ?

Somebody would complain if i let my dog loose in their garden.

How about responsible cat owners?

I'm sure they would and I'm sure you'd be the first to complain if they killed it for taking a dump!...all I'm saying is with dogs you have a reasonable amount of control over how it comes and goe's...cat owners dont...the hassle a cat killing dog brings hardly endears us to the public and just adds to the whole half wild men with half wild dogs view joe public has of us already...all it takes is some idiot with a dog to ruin it for us all....just ask the decent bull dog owners how they suffered from bad pr!.... :icon_eek

so why does a cat have the right to come into the garden and shit all over the place, and fck about with the bluetit's ?

Somebody would complain if i let my dog loose in their garden.

How about responsible cat owners?

Must admit I don't like cats for the above reasons but you can't blame the cat.I train my dogs to leave them alone.Why Would you risk blinding your dog for a bloody cat.:thumbdown: