Stock breaking your dogs

im the owner of both working dog and cat infact thats my two in scotsmans post . Zeus gets on great with Scottie .But i do believe that we have to respect other peoples choice of pet whether we like what that is or not because i know if the shoe was on the other foot i wouldnt fancy telling the kiddies that there beloved pets been shredded . Yes i know accidents happen. I know people whos got pet rats i despise the fckn things but i dont kill it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dogs are broken to livestock but not cats,reason is simple i dont have a cat.How exactly do you break a dog to cats if you dont own a cat?

The jobs a lot easier Bill if you know an old dear with an equally old cat, especially one that simply likes to curl up in front of the fire...an old cat like this because it's perfectly chilled is not antagonistic to a dog and this allows a margin for the handler of the dog. A dog introduced to a younger cat on it's own turf is a different cup of tea entirely.

I agree mate but on previous trips to the mother in laws to try the same technique,as soon as the cat moves at any speed the dogs go nuts.Our eldest terrier is fine around cats,but if one ran across in front of him he'd nail it ive no doubt.As ive already said i'd love to break my dogs to cats,it makes everybodies lives easier but if a dog has been around cats since birth obviously it will see them as being part of the family,this is completely different to a dog that only see's cats tormenting him from the safety of the garden fence,or running out of a bush in front of him when he has his nose down.Perhaps a trip to the local cattery might do the trick.Thanks for the advice mate. :thumbs:

Fortunately for me my property backs onto an Auction Mart,when I first got my fell terrier he was always nipping through to the mart even when stock was being overnited in there.He's sort of grew up with them and been no bother at all.

Cats,rabbits and anything 'catchable' is another matter.

We have three cats, the lurchers, ferrets and even my girlfriends pet rats! They all get on fine and the dogs are fine with all cats, round mates houses etc. if you catch one in the beam though she thinks they're fair game so its light off and hope it f*cks off without scaring all the rabbits.

well i,ve never bothered as long as mine are sound with sheep cattle i,m happy ,i mean on a night out lamping how many cats am i going to bump into ?

as someone mentioned earlier if you lamp near a farm or on the outskirts of a village/town etc sooner or later you'll bump into one....be honest with a little more thought you could easily break your dog to cats when your stock break training....just saves any unnecessary grief. :icon_eek:

yip but the farms i go on if there are any cats that get accidentally killed by my dogs the farmer would be over the moon they all hate the fecking things ,why because the smelly horrible things walk over there silage pits and put holes in the black sheeting with there claws ,so who is the more unresponsible owner the one with the cat who lets there cat out to kill song birds jump on car bonnets go where ever they want ? hey delibrate killing i dont thinks right but i aint no cat lover

Funny enough my beddy whippet bitch is in the sick bay at the moment because of a ferral cat. walking the old railway line last sunday armed with the said bitch my bullx, russel dog and two lakie pups just avin a mooch. When the bullx and terriers shoot off into the reed beds, seconds after they entered the cover a manky black and white cat broke and the lurcher bitch gave chase. 20 yards or so later the bitch had holt of it and the cat had holt of her, and then in came the bullx and ripped the cat off the bitches shoulder, shook 7 bells of shit out of it while the little bitch yelped in agony. On closer inspection the cat had done some real damage and the bleeding was un stoppable for ten minutes or so. She is healing up well now but i think there is some muscle damage, it wouldnt have been so bad if the bullx hadnt pulled it off her. I have always been weary of dogs taking cats, they can do so much damage and at the end of the day a poxy cat is small pennys to a working dog. I'd rather the bigger stuff.

this sheep was taking the piss a bit. i have to say i can send my dog on to anything. she is 100% stock steady but when i'm moving the sheep i can send her on to a stray and she'll Push it back with a nose.

she learnt this when i used to to huntsman for a beagle pack and we used her as a whipper in. if a hound ran off whilst walking out (we didn't take her hunting, for obvisious reasons) she would push it over and chase it back into the pack.

ottis ferry also had a lurcher that did the same. thats how she learnt.

post-12141-1218448003.jpg

post-12141-1218448027.jpg

Edited by dotty

the pups i got are being trained around our stock animals.... birds of various sorts that make all kinds of noise, rabbits, goats, the pig, plus the cat..

i want to keep two pups in with the goat kids all the time as a sort of "live stock guardian"... after hearing a pack of coyotes so close to my home this past weekend i'm thinking our security may be at risk in the future without some sort of guard, and my pool old bitch just hasnt got it in her to be Super Dog anymore.... but dont tell her that!

100_7362.jpg

Edited by BlueCoyote

All my dogs i had in the UK where stock broke to cats,...over here, we have had bad problems with cats killing my chickens/bantams, so i allow all my dogs (sighthounds/terrier/collie etc) to kill cats...we also have farmers who quail hunt, and they want all the cats dead aswell....i like cats, as long as they have short hair, not that long shit that dosnt land anywhere, it just sorta flaots around and goes up your nose!...siamease(spl?) are real nice, and as long as the owners dont chuck them out at night to kill my stock, or wildlife, im fine with 'em....all my dogs are stock broke to goats/sheep/chickens/turkeys/cows/horses etc...the wife has some terriers that would fly into any of the listed though!...lol.

Kye,..