Britains most elusive mammal..

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in an area that has the highest population of otters in Ireland, so a mornings fishing usually produces a sighting or two.

In fact a large town near me has 5 otters within it.

Good picture JD.

and what county would that be neil as there are plenty here in roscommon and leitrim

We had one run across the road in front of us about 7yrs ago in caithness. I think it was a juvenile or a female as it was quite small, it disappeared down a land drain. A couple of years later we lamped 2 scottish wildcats in the same area. It was a great experience seeing these creatures in their natural habitat. Incidentally there are supposed to be some otter on the river local to me in co wexford. Hopefully i will get a sighting or two. cheers wex

I live in an area that has the highest population of otters in Ireland, so a mornings fishing usually produces a sighting or two.

In fact a large town near me has 5 otters within it.

Good picture JD.

and what county would that be neil as there are plenty here in roscommon and leitrim

The Boyne valley. A friend helped in the census. And it's Navan Co.Meath that has 5 otters within.

Do any of you's know where the Whitehorse river flows into Loch Ramor in Virginia town?

About 5 years ago at about 5 in the morning I was standing in the middle of the river trying to get a trout to take my fly.

In a period of about an hour and a half 5 otters passed me going back out to the islands for the day. They must have been fishing around the town all night. I'm told there's a dead ,rotting Otter on the pier at the moment.

In my village a taxi driver tells me he seen an otter chasing a dog in a houseing estate with a river running beside it. I've seen Otters within 500 yards of my house.

I remember reading a few years that Co.Cork used to have the largest population of Otters in Ireland and that was when the 3 Otter packs were still liscensed to hunt. Was it '93 when they lost their liscenses?

We had one run across the road in front of us about 7yrs ago in caithness. I think it was a juvenile or a female as it was quite small, it disappeared down a land drain. A couple of years later we lamped 2 scottish wildcats in the same area. It was a great experience seeing these creatures in their natural habitat. Incidentally there are supposed to be some otter on the river local to me in co wexford. Hopefully i will get a sighting or two. cheers wex

Wex,I saw one on Dornoch golf course years ago,we were staying at my cousins in Caithness but had travelled down to Sutherland to rabbit :victory: Never saw a wildcat though :icon_eek:

Great capture, I've seen a few this year on the river and burn near our cottage, the last one I saw was on a small river on my permission not long after tea time. I had a feeling there was an otter following us up the river as we walked from the odd splashes and sure there he was as we rounded a bend in the river.

I watched 2 otter kits playing for half an hour last year, a wonderful sight.

I've failed to capture them on camera so far though.

Wex,I saw one on Dornoch golf course years ago,we were staying at my cousins in Caithness but had travelled down to Sutherland to rabbit :victory: Never saw a wildcat though :icon_eek:

We have done a fair bit of rabbiting around dornoch mate, embo etc. There was a hell of a lot of roe in that area, we lamped a certain area and spotted a good 36-40 in a 8-12mile radius. cheers wex.

Yeah,Dornoch,Brora,Golspie,Helmsdale,we used to do all around there,I actually slipped the dog on a bunny one night up there,she missed it and grabbed a roe which suddenly appeared :blink: You can see a similar number of Roe around here in a night,and its not quite as far to travel :D