flies

hi evryone now its warming up alot now, and i am getting flies around by the ferret cages, an its really annoying..

now bearing in mind they are cleaned out 1-2 times a day and are thoroughly cleaned out as in the cages emptied, sprayed down with the hose pipe and dis-infected.. every 2 weeks

but even though this is done, the flies are still bothering me. i currently have 4 ferrets in 3 cages. 2 jils in one big cage and the other hob in the other cage and my 2nd hob in the single hutch...

i am due to be picking up another 4 ferrets with a big home made cage today or tomorrow so i will have a lot of ferrets.

i dont mind the work because i love the little creatures but the flies are really really annoying because they hover around the back door.

any recomendations on what to do, i am thinking about laying down some fly paper on top of the cages..

many thanks

jazz

i do feed them mostly dry food, but i have being buying, minced rabbit from pets at home and they seem to like it but i am very cautios about meat because when i left that trout head in, i had fly eggs all over it.. so i feed them the minced stuff but only a little at a time..

so there is nothing i can do about them because i dont have a garage....ill try fly paper, or fly repelant...

thanks for the help if i find a major solution i will let every body no but i cant see it happening lol..

i do feed them mostly dry food, but i have being buying, minced rabbit from pets at home and they seem to like it but i am very cautios about meat because when i left that trout head in, i had fly eggs all over it.. so i feed them the minced stuff but only a little at a time..

so there is nothing i can do about them because i dont have a garage....ill try fly paper, or fly repelant...

thanks for the help if i find a major solution i will let every body no but i cant see it happening lol..

it was suggested on a pet forum but seems a sound idea ... can you cover the cage in a net curtain or fly screen (very fine mesh) .. will let the air and light in and keep the flies out... cant make myself go hang curtains for my crew just yet though LOL..

try feeding dry during the day and raw after sunset... remove any extras in the morning before the flies rise...

I use a fly screen on cage/court fronts, net curtain will do the same job, feed meat only after its dark, and remove any un eaten soon as in the morning, flies will still get attracted to dry, just not as many, do you use any sort of bacterial spray on your daily clean, get yourself the stuff they use on dog kennels, can be watered down in a spray bottle, then when clean the corner each day, spray the area first before putting fresh woodchip in

fly papers also work,

get some of these made up. jam jar with a hole drilled in the lid and a bit of meat/fish whatever dropped in the bottom.

IMG_1856Large.jpg

works a treat and costs nothing.

Gonna try that cheers mate.

Hope the kids like jam i need the jars :icon_eek:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Please don't put Fly Papers on the cages, mate. Ye'll catch birds.

Is stuff like Vapona Fly Strip still available? I might have heard it's been banned. Anyway; If ye can get something like that and a bit of copper pipe? Whack a nail through the pipe so it's well perforated. Pop a bit of fly strip in and then beat each end down closed. Chuck that in the cages.

Mate of mine just used to tack a bit to the inside roof. I developed the idea.

Any form of home made fly trap is good too - see earlier Posts. But the ones like ye can buy for chicken feed on the Bay are supposedly f*cking excellent. I have one here, actually. Present from our Donkey7. Just never had a real need for it yet.

Hang one of those Away From either ye back door or cages and it should draw the vile things away and destroy them for ye.

hi evryone now its warming up alot now, and i am getting flies around by the ferret cages, an its really annoying..

now bearing in mind they are cleaned out 1-2 times a day and are thoroughly cleaned out as in the cages emptied, sprayed down with the hose pipe and dis-infected.. every 2 weeks

but even though this is done, the flies are still bothering me. i currently have 4 ferrets in 3 cages. 2 jils in one big cage and the other hob in the other cage and my 2nd hob in the single hutch...

i am due to be picking up another 4 ferrets with a big home made cage today or tomorrow so i will have a lot of ferrets.

i dont mind the work because i love the little creatures but the flies are really really annoying because they hover around the back door.

any recomendations on what to do, i am thinking about laying down some fly paper on top of the cages..

many thanks

jazz

If that's how clean your keeping your ferrets I'd say they're cleaner than 90% of others ferrets.

Are we talking about swarms or clouds of flies?

Or just some flies that would also be in the same numbers around your rubbish bin or garden shrubs.

Flies go with the territory and as Ditch said flypaper will catch birds and I don't agree with spraying flyspray in the open air.

Yesterday evening I picked up a bait box and shook it. I could hear a loud buzzing sound coming from it. It was a box I'd left a pint of maggots in.

I left the lid of it and left it on a bench in the back garden overnight. This morning as well as the usual song birds I had 3 Pied Wagtails in the yard. Never had them before, they've been mopping up bluebottles all day.

many thanks

jazz

you can buy citrenella oil witch is a fly repellent in eiver candels or what iv started doing is getting the oil form and watering it down and spraying the tops of hutches and around the ferret area.also good for dog kennels.