ferrets heat

the jill in question is not run down by far and is in top condition.bar from she havent come out of sesson.was not planning to breed her this year and have used a vasectomised hob which brought our other jill off but not her? looking for advice realy would it be better to have her a jab or if she had a litter would it effect her in any way?would rather line her my self just want to make sure

If the jill is in season welshhound2 and in good condition as you say,having a litter shouldn't be a problem for her.

Not sure about you lining her yourself though,what would the neighbours say if they caught you. :whistling::o

:clapper: dont fancy it myself cant get down low enough :whistling: will leave that to the hob,going to leave it a while if no change then will think about breeding her

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bigredbusa
Do you seriously expect me to believe that jojoamojo? I must have been lucky over the last 25 years because if my jills are not bred from they remain in season untill they come out naturally themselves,yet in all those years I've never lost one,none of them have ever had an infection and none of them have become run down.Strange that.

There's too much nonsense being written by folk who seem to know very little about ferrets.

well said . ive kept jils and not bred , just kept them clean

Your jill will stay in season till the daylight shortens ,if you choose to bred from her now she should still take and it will all turn out fine ,Last year due to my snipped hob dieing i had a few jills in season all summer they looked rough as feck but by the autum they looked the same as the rest .Wondering why your jill didn't come out of season with the snipped hob maybe she faced up to him and wouldn't let him mate her ????

Guest jojoamojo
Do you seriously expect me to believe that jojoamojo? I must have been lucky over the last 25 years because if my jills are not bred from they remain in season untill they come out naturally themselves,yet in all those years I've never lost one,none of them have ever had an infection and none of them have become run down.Strange that.

There's too much nonsense being written by folk who seem to know very little about ferrets.

i agree there is too much nonsense written by people who have no idea!!! :icon_eek:

i have just had a jill nearly die, she is 2 and has been left in season, she had a pyometra and we nearly lost her, she was kept by someone who didnt have a clue

i am not going to argue with you cause i know 100% i am right, and a boring long debate giving people duff information is not what this forum needs :thumbdown:

google aplastic anemia and prolonged season in jills

Edited by jojoamojo
you are talking rubbish , so you are telling the forum they never come out of season ? lol best laugh today . thankyou :)

The one is correct, seasons in jills are daylight length dependent (or dark time dependent, I can't remember which), so they don't stay in season permanently.

However the danger of aplastic anaemia ia s real one. it's how much of a chance of it that's the debate, not whether it happens or not.

I only did it the one year when my hob died i wouldn't do it every year apart from looking like shit i can see it harming them so i got another hob snipped this year

hang on..are you seriously saying the ferret has been in season since February?

have you heard of aplastic anemia? if you leave her in season the likley hood is she will get very ill and die slowly, you musnt breed her now, she will be run down already, get her a jill jab asap, but it may not go down for a long time and therefore in time need 2 jabs because you have left her in for so long!!!!!

i agree with this. i have a jill, that has been in heat since march, the other jill, was constantly trying to mount her, as she was in heat too. she has come out of heat now. both are very healthy.

i am not going to argue with you cause i know 100% i am right, and a boring long debate giving people duff information is not what this forum needs :thumbdown:

I think that says it all :doh: another know it all. :wallbash:

Guest jojoamojo
you are talking rubbish , so you are telling the forum they never come out of season ? lol best laugh today . thankyou :)

what i am telling you is you risk serious illness if you dont put your jill to a hob or jab her, its not funny, its a fact, they should not be left to come out on their own, anyone who has ferrets should know that

and yes i have known thewm stay in season, there is one in the rescue now who has been in so long her fairy is the size of a marshmallow

Guest jojoamojo
There's no actual data there.

What proportion of jill left in season go on to develop aplastic anaemia?

Because unless you have that information you can't assess the risk.

i doubt there is any data on that subject , i am sure if studies had been done in the last ten yrs of any great size we would know by now