ferrets heat

hi all,was wondering if any one have had a jill that wont come off heat?we have two here both broke down around febuary,one came off heat not much later and one is still onheat now.may be a silly question but if we were to line her now would this be allright? or will she come off heat on her own?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi all,was wondering if any one have had a jill that wont come off heat?we have two here both broke down around febuary,one came off heat not much later and one is still onheat now.may be a silly question but if we were to line her now would this be allright? or will she come off heat on her own?

I have heard they do come off heat themselfs.I have naever owned such a jill myself.If you lined her she would in all probability fall pregnant.Get a jab mate its not healthy having a jill in heat upsets the rest and there always a risk she might catch a infection.

Guest jojoamojo

hang on..are you seriously saying the ferret has been in season since February?

have you heard of aplastic anemia? if you leave her in season the likley hood is she will get very ill and die slowly, you musnt breed her now, she will be run down already, get her a jill jab asap, but it may not go down for a long time and therefore in time need 2 jabs because you have left her in for so long!!!!!

Jills dont come in & out of season on there own, they have to be brought out of season, ferrets seasons are governed by the length of day light hours , once the days get longer they come into season & will only come out if left when the length of daylight hours is much shorter, its called photo period .

As its still only June she could in theory be in season another couple of months, so she does need dealing with now , either jill jabbed mentioned already or vasectomised hob if your not going to breed this year :thumbs:

wouldnt mind putting her to my mates hob as she is a cracker but was hopeing she'd come off her self,if she had a litter now do you think it would affect her?since shes been in sesson so long?

If she is healthy and not run down then i see no reason for not lining her.Just be late kits thats all.

the jill in question is not run down by far and is in top condition.bar from she havent come out of sesson.was not planning to breed her this year and have used a vasectomised hob which brought our other jill off but not her? looking for advice realy would it be better to have her a jab or if she had a litter would it effect her in any way?would rather line her my self just want to make sure

the jill in question is not run down by far and is in top condition.bar from she havent come out of sesson.was not planning to breed her this year and have used a vasectomised hob which brought our other jill off but not her? looking for advice realy would it be better to have her a jab or if she had a litter would it effect her in any way?would rather line her my self just want to make sure

when did you use the vasectomised hob on her ?

not long after she came into sesson,looked like she was going off at first then came back on again tryed again but with no luck,then left her with the hob for a week or two must have a rare ferret lol,may just try lineing her if not the vets

hang on..are you seriously saying the ferret has been in season since February?

have you heard of aplastic anemia? if you leave her in season the likley hood is she will get very ill and die slowly, you musnt breed her now, she will be run down already, get her a jill jab asap, but it may not go down for a long time and therefore in time need 2 jabs because you have left her in for so long!!!!!

Do you seriously expect me to believe that jojoamojo? I must have been lucky over the last 25 years because if my jills are not bred from they remain in season untill they come out naturally themselves,yet in all those years I've never lost one,none of them have ever had an infection and none of them have become run down.Strange that.

There's too much nonsense being written by folk who seem to know very little about ferrets.

If the jill is in season welshhound2 and in good condition as you say,having a litter shouldn't be a problem for her.

Not sure about you lining her yourself though,what would the neighbours say if they caught you. :whistling::o

If the jill is in season welshhound2 and in good condition as you say,having a litter shouldn't be a problem for her.

Not sure about you lining her yourself though,what would the neighbours say if they caught you. :whistling::o

lol i was gonna make a comment on lining it himself

I have kept ferrets for over 40 years and don't breed from them every year,you don't need a sniped hob and you certainly don,t need a jill jab.Just keep her clean she will come out of season as she came in, All on her own.Or you can listen to the crap on here your ferret your choice. :icon_eek:

I have kept ferrets for over 40 years and don't breed from them every year,you don't need a sniped hob and you certainly don,t need a jill jab.Just keep her clean she will come out of season as she came in, All on her own.Or you can listen to the crap on here your ferret your choice. :icon_eek:

well said

if you keep them really clean no problems