Breaking dogs to ferrets?

I have a 4 yr old jrslx border terrier and I was not sure whether I could break him to the ferts or is he too old? He has never done anything except ratting but I mainly want him broken to them so I can have a bit of fun and see if he can catch rabits lol. Hope someone can help, as I wasnt sure whether to post on here or the dogs section lol!

Guest little_lloyd

When you feed and water your ferrets take your dog around with them to get her to know they are friends not foe. Generaly let the dog get used to them as much as you can,, I fed my pup with my ferrets and he was around them for most of the day and now he works along them without a bother.

I have a 4 yr old jrslx border terrier and I was not sure whether I could break him to the ferts or is he too old? He has never done anything except ratting but I mainly want him broken to them so I can have a bit of fun and see if he can catch rabits lol. Hope someone can help, as I wasnt sure whether to post on here or the dogs section lol!

should really do it as a puppy mate. As long as he's not used to attack ing anything that moves you might be ok. Introduce them carefully maybe hold the ferret and let the dog sniff and see how he reacts....good luck

we have two JRT's, one a 9yr old bitch, who I can trust 100% around my ferts, the other is a 4yr old dog, that has done a fair bit of ratting, I could'ent trust him one bit, he's allowed around the hutches and cages when Im there, and whilst there, he just looks, but as soon as he thinks Im not looking, he will try to bite them through the cage fronts, although with time/lots of time he may change, but I belive he never will, and for that reason, will never come out with the ferts, as It would be bad enough if he attacked one of my ferts, let alone another ferreter's ferrets

you could use him, without ferrets, but with a longnet, and just use him to chase the rabbits into the net

we have two JRT's, one a 9yr old bitch, who I can trust 100% around my ferts, the other is a 4yr old dog, that has done a fair bit of ratting, I could'ent trust him one bit, he's allowed around the hutches and cages when Im there, and whilst there, he just looks, but as soon as he thinks Im not looking, he will try to bite them through the cage fronts, although with time/lots of time he may change, but I belive he never will, and for that reason, will never come out with the ferts, as It would be bad enough if he attacked one of my ferts, let alone another ferreter's ferrets

you could use him, without ferrets, but with a longnet, and just use him to chase the rabbits into the net

that maybe worth a try. thanks for the tips. and will start working on him. The frts have an exercise run and the dog will smell them through it and not try to kill them

I think each dog is different, my 2 year old Beddi Lurcher took to my new ferrets like a drean, my Terrier just wants to kill them, so much so I have to have an electric fence round their hutch!

I would be very careful and and see how the dog reacts.

One note of caution I would never allow any of my dogs with ferrets in the open unsupervised.

• 4 weeks later...

my Dog is quite a funny character when it comes to ferrets, He will sit at the back door crying to go out and see them and when i let him out he just sits at their run for hours and hours just content in watching them, He doesnt try to bite or claw at them through the wire or anything and is more than happy to go nose to nose with them through the wire. However as soon as i take a ferret out of the run and let them try and introduce each other he starts snarling and try's to bite...he tried once with Nancy my tiny BEW and he came away with avery bloody nose! So i will never let them play together and just stick to them both being on seperate sides of the run

post-20347-1214730637_thumb.jpg

post-20347-1214730671_thumb.jpg

I trust my terrier with the ferrets as she has seen then since a puppy & gets quite excited if a new ferrets comes in , the greyhound will kill them without a doubt

my dogs have free access to the ferret hutch when they're out of there run and completely ignore them in it. one of my dogs is semi broke to ferrets(only just started a few wks ago)and he will show a lot of interest in them for a few mins and then ignore them(apart from the odd lick as he's passing them! :blink: )but my other dog.... :no: she just wants to eat them! if i get them out she just stares transfixed from her run as if its quarry she's just spotted.i dont think she'll ever break to them. i did try once but i won't go into details!! :icon_eek:

My ferrets are in a hutch at a level the dogs can see em, they pay very little attention. Even when they are out for a run the wee jrt will play very gently with em and the others just sit and watch em. Think it helped I got first ferret and jrt at same time as young animals and they grew up together, then when the other pups came along they just learnt from older dog, Who is a delite with the ferrets, when i had a litter of kits and they had excersise she would stand in the middle of em like a mummy to em, and only lift a foot up if she got nipped haha Never had to worry bout dogs with the ferrets, and wouldnt ever want to can trust em 100% and i dont take it for granted, go lucky with em that it took no work on my part. Jrt great with house cat too, couldnt say the same for next doors ginger one though hahah

Guest michael.hudson7

I think it comes down to the dog. some will need more time breaking in to feerets that others I have a beddlington that was a bit curious at first be now is very good with them but the alsationX is going take a bit more time to come on as her temper around animals of that size can be anything but good.