• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Shuker was 80's. Book I'm refering to was much earlier. It was a sort of atlas and description of all the creatures known to inhabit britain and which shouldn't be there. Escapes, deliberate introductions etc. Not a great deal contraversial in it. But a real eye opener none the less.

Busting my f*cking brain trying to come up with the right words to stitch that long forgotten title back together with!

i'll have to photoshop some pics of my black kittens, flog 'em to the Sun & make a quid or two - everyone who sees them comments on the fact they look like mini-panthers. the tom, Chunk, is fecking huge, i'll have to take him out & video him in some long-ish grass, maybe with a baby rabbit in his gob, walking past a bonsai tree....

this is Muff, the smaller of the two. she's easier to photograph!

post-6153-1207962753_thumb.jpgpost-6153-1207962773_thumb.jpg

interesting thread

and how quick do threads go on THL?

Good to see Dawn B being a bit more open to the possibility after the last time this came up and she was catergoriic...not big cats in the UK, then the possibility of these smaller "wild" pet cats and hybrids and now she believes/accepts it could be them that are being seen

I have seen two, or one twice, the first time couldn't see the colour it was in silouhette but was an inch or two bigger than my cocker spaniel, second time was closer and clearer and was what i think was a caracal or similar, again 16+inches to teh shoulder, tan coloured with pointy ears

When i go shooting now, i always have a few heavy cartridges :gunsmilie:

the truth is out there!

DS i will try an old interesting second hand book shop i know in london, bought a few good natural history books there, its the sort of place that would keep a copy of the Shuker book

Compo :big_boss:

I once thought i seen one around the longtown area but as it was it stood to be a black labrador that was lost from a local farm...

however a very good friend of mine, a rough tough hill farmer who is as honest as they come has seen one whilst feeding his sheep, this guy has been round dogs and the like all his life but says he has seen nothing like this move..in the wild scottish border countryside

I would love them to be here yet find it hard to believe every sighting

Guest joe ox

A big cat could move up and down the backbone (pennines) of england without being detected or bumping into humans quite easily and there is a ready supply of sheep and rabbits to eat. As for hounds putting them out of the forrests they spend half there lives up a tree!

Having seen a doc on pumas, males can weigh in at 168lb. If they wanted they could kill a full grown

man easy. We are lucky that they are shy animals and doint get seen, because if they bumped

in to a solitary lamper and attacked, you would be in serious shit. :thumbdown:

BIRD

Nice looking cats ossie, i bet if they go out on a night a few people would call them wild cats.

they were bred after a long-running arugement on chat - no one believed that a cat could catch a full grown rabbit. i've known several moggies that could, and the kittens mum was just starting to bring back young rabbits when i had to move back to my parents house & put the cats into a cattery.

i bred my first-class ratter with a semi-feral Maine Coon cross. he lived in the woods up the road from me, you'd often see him wandering across the road dragging a still-flapping pheasant along. the kittens were born while i was on holiday & a mate was looking after them... the dog got the first 2 (a black male & a fluffy tabby & white female, i was a bit bloody gutted about that), but my mate woke up in time to save the other 3, 2 females & a male, all black. the male was twice the size of his sisters when he was born, and is still bloody massive, hence the name, Chunk. he's the talk of the vets, the '6 kilo cat!'. i plan to put a Maine Coon over the sister i still have (Muff) next year, to see if i can up the size a bit but still keep the black coat & keen hunting instinct. mini-panthers!

Guest manda

should turn out a canny size, Not too many people on here like cats, i put a post up when my kittens where born and a few nice replies. I think if you could train a cat to hunt with people they'd be mint but my cat has a mind of his bloody own lol

Hi dawn, my male is a full bengal and maybe because he's only ever in the house or in the garden for a pee or shat, he's not had the chance to be wild or an outdoor cat (and no he doesnt get the chance to kill small/medium/large birds, the wild sparrow hawk does that, to those he gave me grief last time for having a cat!), but dont like been fussed over he'll bite or scratch if people try and pet him up, he has to come to you if he wants attention. But if there's any catches on the top of the ferret cage he likes to have a sniff and and a nibble on it. He's about 15" tts same size as my terrier pup, so not small lol

I do like the breed Manda, just not the "pet" for everyone. They are as you say not a Cat to be fussed over. Incredibly agile, beautiful Cats.

This is my 12mth chocolate British Shorthair. He weighs in excess of 20lb now, that pic was about 2 months ago. I can realistically see people getting some domestic breeds confused with other Cats, they all move the same, they can all look the same.

CanonEOS40D635452P.jpg

Hi Compo.

Im not anymore up for there being "big" Cats in the wild, however I have ALWAYS said there are probably domesticated "wild" look a likes that may well be. A Cat doesnt have to be big to be wild. I had the pleasure of Watching some "Geoffroys" Cats the other day, they were tiny, but so incredibly wild and capable, just amazing.

Hi Compo.

Im not anymore up for there being "big" Cats in the wild, however I have ALWAYS said there are probably domesticated "wild" look a likes that may well be. A Cat doesnt have to be big to be wild. I had the pleasure of Watching some "Geoffroys" Cats the other day, they were tiny, but so incredibly wild and capable, just amazing.

You are thinking laterally now though aren't you? and aren't just saying No

the "big" cats that people see, and the ones that i saw, aren't moggies, and they aren't Puma's either, they are cerval's, caracals,jungle cats etc.... exotic pets gone feral....therefore wild!!