new Invention

well, most of you have probably watched ferreting dvd's, and seen the guy's use bits of barbed wire, to get an out of reach rabbit from a dug hole, I had always thought this was a good Idea, but you have two options, either carry around a piece of barbed wire, not the easiest thing to do, or hope, that where ever your ferreting, has a fence close by, with barbed wire, although, then you'd need to carry wire cutters too,

so more often than not, its when your in that situation, that you remember that trick, and wished you had a bit,

so my Idea, was to simply make a holder, that I could carry around safely,

a piece of 32mm waste pipe with two end cap's, all glued together, with just one end being removable, I cut it the same length as my longnet poles, so it can be stored in the rear of my longnet basket, out of the way of the nets, but there, should the need to use it arise, attached a smaller piece of tubing, to the wire, to aid the "turning" once down the whole.

post-5267-1207480360.jpg

post-5267-1207480384.jpg

post-5267-1207480411.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it works for you, then great crack on!

However there is only so much stuff you can carry and some of the best days have been just with a box with a ferret in and a few nets in a rucksack!

useful, but again essential?

hey stubby just entered you for young inventor of the year,also think you should apply to the princes trust lol if it works for you thats good but i agree with masmiffy a good briar does the job just as well.

have i missed something hear?

what exacly is it for why cant you use your hands?

I get the impressioon you aint seen the dvd's I have Will

you dig to a rabbit, and its say 3ft down, and more than one or two in a stop end, the first and sometimes second can be reached, but after that your f****d, so two options, dig more earth out, or

put barbed wire along hole, until it reaches the rabbit, twist the wire around and around between your fingers, the "barbs" catch on the fur and get wound in on it, then you pull the rabbit out,

as for extra weight to carry, there's hardly any weight there at all, the briar, again a good idea, as long as there is some close by

people who say its crap are probly comp hunters and imagine there selfs haveing all the time in the world in a day ferreting,if its saves time im all up for it last thing you need is spending extra time on a dig when you could be catching some more connies

just my humble opinion

good work stubby :notworthy:

it isnt a bad idea at all......theres been probably a couple of times in the last few years iv had one just out of reach..under trees??? i have always used a piece of bramble to get em....never thought of barbed wire.....

Guest Magwitch

To be honest steve i would rather dig that bit farther, i try to be more respectful of the rabbit and trying to extract them with barbed wire seems a bit hit or miss and even callous in my humble opinion, and furthermore giving these ideas to younger members of the forum isn't setting a good example, my opinion only i maybe wrong. :good:

Guest Magwitch
I must be the only one then, that has a collection of dvd's, showing the northern boys and ferreting, and most of them are using the barbed wire idea,

But Steve us southern gents are more civilized :thumbs: