Plummer terriers

ive never heard so much bull,PTCGB.PTA.means nothing, no wonder (most) of u plummer owners have distanced ur selfs from the other type terriers or should i say other terrier owners have distanced from plummer owners, its more intense than the KC CLUB. I have a very good friend who ownes a pack of plummers whos not frightened 2 outcross the breed purely 2 inprove workabilty and bone, i admire him 4 going his own way on this, but reading through these threds i can see why he has. he is a true lover of the breed, and does test his dogs on what i call real quarry, so if theres a weeknes u inprove it. and on the subject of a working terrier, can anyone DIFINE what a working terrier actually does, and how WORKER is earned. pesonaly i like the plummer 4 what it was bred 4,RATTING

• Like 1

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

..mmmmm well done !    You mentioned you "I actually had one myself" I presume this was red as my records say you only had red born 96 ..or did you re-invest?     Lol Glenn you love all this do

Thought you might be interested in this Jack, if you enjoyed the book,   This is a son of Omega's, a dog called Blue, he died in 1996 but was about 4 yrs old in this pic  

thanks.

Posted Images

ive never heard so much bull,PTCGB.PTA.means nothing, no wonder (most) of u plummer owners have distanced ur selfs from the other type terriers or should i say other terrier owners have distanced from plummer owners, its more intense than the KC CLUB. I have a very good friend who ownes a pack of plummers whos not frightened 2 outcross the breed purely 2 inprove workabilty and bone, i admire him 4 going his own way on this, but reading through these threds i can see why he has. he is a true lover of the breed, and does test his dogs on what i call real quarry, so if theres a weeknes u inprove it. and on the subject of a working terrier, can anyone DIFINE what a working terrier actually does, and how WORKER is earned. pesonaly i like the plummer 4 what it was bred 4,RATTING

totally agree with what you have said bud :big_boss:

The Working Terrier

A working terrier is a small type of dog which pursues its quarry into the earth. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the name dates back to at least 1440, derived from early modern French terrier - from the medieval Latin terrarius from the Latin terra (earth).

With the growth of popularity of fox-hunting in Britain in the 18th and 19th centuries, terriers were extensively bred to follow the red fox, and also the Eurasian badger, into its underground burrow, referred to as "terrier work" and "going to ground". The purpose of the terrier is that it locate the quarry, and either bark and bolt it free or to a net, or trap or hold it so that it can be dug down to and killed or captured.

Working terriers can be no wider than the animal they hunt (chest circumference or "span" less than 35 cm/14in), in order to fit into the burrows and still have room to maneuver. As a result, the terriers often weigh considerably less than the fox (10 kg/22 lbs) and badger (12 kg/26 lbs), making these animals formidable quarry for the smaller dog.

Terrier work has been condemned by British animal welfare organizations such as the League Against Cruel Sports, the International Fund for Animal Welfare, and the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, because it can lead to underground fighting between the animals, causing serious injuries. The British National Working Terrier Federation denies that underground fighting is an issue, arguing that the terrier's role is to locate, bark, and flush out the hunted animals, not to attack them. Hunting below ground with terriers is largely illegal in Britain under the Hunting Act 2004, unless conducted in accordance with strict conditions intended to protect game birds. Terrier work is legal in the U.S., Canada, Australia, South Africa and much of continental Europe.

Requirements of a working terrier

The primary criterion of a working terrier is that it has an owner or keeper who works it. A terrier is not a working terrier by virtue of its breeding alone. The second most important quality of a working terrier is small chest size. Though the chest size of the working terrier that can be used in any given situation may rise or fall depending on the size of the den pipe, smaller dogs generally do as well or better than larger dogs. The reason for this is rather simple: a small dog can get to the quarry without having to dig, and arrives at the quarry without fatigue.

If a dog is too large, he will not be able to get past turns in the tunnel, and will have to be dug to every few feet. If a dog has to dig to the quarry when the tunnel tightens down (as it invariably will), the dog will have to push dirt behind it to progress, which can result in the dog being “bottled” by dirt from behind. In such a situation the dog will have a very difficult time getting out on its own if it cannot turn around.

With two animals underground (dog and quarry), it is essential that a flow of air be maintained to avoid asphyxiation. The tighter a dog is in the pipe, the more that air flow will be constricted. In addition, a small dog is able to maneuver better in order to avoid being bitten. As a consequence, small dogs often receive less damage underground than larger dogs, which are more likely to find themselves jammed in a den pipe, face to face with the quarry, and unable to move forward or backward. No good can come from such a situation.

Working terriers and tools for terrier work.Other important requirements of a working terrier are an essential gameness, a good nose, and an ability to problem solve in order to avoid coming to harm underground.

As quoted from Wikipedia

Edited by dillan

sounds like a man after my own heart,out of intrest what does he cross them with? yeah, the bitching between various clubs is idiotic,we should fight the enemies of hunting/fieldsports and not each other.I think ill start the continuity P.T.A lol. I crossed pitbull into my own dogs and am very satisfied with how its gone(if your mate ever wants to use a half or 3/4 bred stud (free) ,give me a shout.These are serious digging dogs ,the half breds came about 28-30 lbs but have no trouble getting down most holes,the 3/4 breds are only young but showing all the right signs and are the size of any other plummer.

28 30 lbs Id say thats way to big for fox ..fit only for the others and with that much bull blood a waste of a plummer.

try telling her that! I used an apbt stud only because i couldnt locate a full bred working plummer here in ireland,her previous litter were by a plummer(ballina flynn) and i wanted to try something different.The half siblings were put over each other and i have 4 month pups that nobody could distinguish from a fullbred plummer and are showing all the right signs.I didnt just use any pitbull-searched long and hard ,maybe looked at 20 different studs until i found the one i wanted.Ive had no problems with dog aggression/kennel fights and have had more than 1 to ground at once.

if you want to see the pups they are probably still on donedeal.ie(2 that ive left arent for sale though).My original plummer bitch was out of alegion bred bitch by a tricolour plummer bred by a Mr johnson from wales.I didnt get papers with her_the litter was born on christmas day '04 and bred by d o conner ,galway-maybe some of her siblings were registered , i would be very interested to know her full pedigree.I cant see how i am doing anything different to legion kennels-brian plummer wasnt the only person ever, to know a thing or 2 about genetics.

there is an old breeding axiom "twice in ,once out"- stonehenge mentions this in his greyhound book of the 1850s,it worked then and it still does(i could shite on all day about alleles/genes etc but i wont)

I dont claim my dogs are fullbred plummers.Ill post a pic of the two half sisters

post-50658-127368567364_thumb.jpg

28 30 lbs Id say thats way to big for fox ..fit only for the others and with that much bull blood a waste of a plummer.

I.M.O a dog that is never worked and is just paraded around a show ring is a waste of a plummer

tiny ive sent 2 soon to be 3 males over and theres breeders over there from way back...besides phil and sonatal flyn (nailer x scorpio) good dog.

legion well nuf said .anything from nine is more bull blooded so anything from a apbt and legion has to be more bull than plummer.

DBp..as far as I can see theres not much purebreeding hes ever done.... infact in 1999 when he started medling the dogs were begining to right themselves and bred true outside influnces were disaperaing then ....bang plum does one. Quoteing the every "ten generations bang in some bull blood."

try telling any throurougbred race horse breeder to bang in a little bit of shire horse to get better bone every ten genertaioons and youd be laughed out of the place.

if you no about genetics you will know why they resemble plummers...but 30 lb dogs arent plummers!..make good drawing dogs mind.

As for showing yep not really my scene either.

try telling her that! I used an apbt stud only because i couldnt locate a full bred working plummer here in ireland,her previous litter were by a plummer(ballina flynn) and i wanted to try something different.The half siblings were put over each other and i have 4 month pups that nobody could distinguish from a fullbred plummer and are showing all the right signs.I didnt just use any pitbull-searched long and hard ,maybe looked at 20 different studs until i found the one i wanted.Ive had no problems with dog aggression/kennel fights and have had more than 1 to ground at once.

if you want to see the pups they are probably still on donedeal.ie(2 that ive left arent for sale though).My original plummer bitch was out of alegion bred bitch by a tricolour plummer bred by a Mr johnson from wales.I didnt get papers with her_the litter was born on christmas day '04 and bred by d o conner ,galway-maybe some of her siblings were registered , i would be very interested to know her full pedigree.I cant see how i am doing anything different to legion kennels-brian plummer wasnt the only person ever, to know a thing or 2 about genetics.

there is an old breeding axiom "twice in ,once out"- stonehenge mentions this in his greyhound book of the 1850s,it worked then and it still does(i could shite on all day about alleles/genes etc but i wont)

I dont claim my dogs are fullbred plummers.Ill post a pic of the two half sisters

looks like a plummer to me mate good luck with the breeding program. i would be interested to see the pics of the pups :thumbs: a question for you why did you not use a working terrier for an outcross? and why would you need two to ground. ?

tiny ive sent 2 soon to be 3 males over and theres breeders over there from way back...besides phil and sonatal flyn (nailer x scorpio) good dog.

legion well nuf said .anything from nine is more bull blooded so anything from a apbt and legion has to be more bull than plummer.

DBp..as far as I can see theres not much purebreeding hes ever done.... infact in 1999 when he started medling the dogs were begining to right themselves and bred true outside influnces were disaperaing then ....bang plum does one. Quoteing the every "ten generations bang in some bull blood."

try telling any throurougbred race horse breeder to bang in a little bit of shire horse to get better bone every ten genertaioons and youd be laughed out of the place.

if you no about genetics you will know why they resemble plummers...but 30 lb dogs arent plummers!..make good drawing dogs mind.

by you can talk some shite. :yes:

these are terriers not racehorses :icon_eek: you can talk some sh1te you can. :toast:

Edited by Cleanspade

by you can talk some shite. :yes:

these are terriers not racehorses :icon_eek: you can talk some sh1te you can. :toast:

hats of 2 u tinytiger, i like people wi balls, if ur not happy wi somthing u improve it the way that suits u. ime not a plmmer man but i like a digging dog, thay look like digging dogs 2 me well done [bANNED TEXT]. f**k the clubs, n yes rosettes dont dig holes :clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

The throughbred studbook goesback to early 1700s you arent quite that well established yet(just messin)-

yeah id make her 9/16 bull.I had to make a 250 mile round trip to use phils dog-only found him as his dog had got up on his neighbours lakeland and i rang them to enquire which parent was the plummer as i was looking for a stud.anyhow they put me on to him-nice fella-ive lost his contact details as i lost my phone not long after the mating.out of 4 pups 2 died ,one tri coluor dog who was stolen at 11 months and"cody" the bitch in my arms in the above picture is my only "pure" bred plummer at the moment

I would have used a full plummer on her,only i couldnt find one who wasnt her father or grandfather(we only got a computer a few months back).I used her half brother as i wanted to see what doubling up my original plummer "jazz"would throw(she really was something ,utterly game with a better nose than a gundog and very intelligent)

THe bitch in my arms is only 1/16 bull(via nine)-would she be eligible for registration with your organisation if i could find out how her mother was bred(apart from being nines grandaughter)

i think "jazzes" mother was a sister to legion mask but im not 100% on that.

plummer terriers have a very bad name over here as workers-i cant see why-the ones ive had are/were the equal of any patterdale ive seen.

any way thanks for your time

john

hats of 2 u tinytiger, i like people wi balls, if ur not happy wi somthing u improve it the way that suits u. ime not a plmmer man but i like a digging dog, thay look like digging dogs 2 me well done [bANNED TEXT]. f**k the clubs, n yes rosettes dont dig holes clapper.gifclapper.gifclapper.gifclapper.gif

nice looking dogs,whats the lad in the foreground(a bull russell?

You live in Ireland Tiny Tiger, of course plummers have a bad name as Eire is the home of a lot of good black dogs and long may it continue. Why go to the hassle of breeding all this shite when you could have yourself a good black dog that will do the job? Personally i havn't seen too many plummers and i hope to f**k i don't see any in the near future around my end but its doubtful that there will because everybody knows a black dog is hard to beat :drink::drink: