Plummer terriers

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

..mmmmm well done !    You mentioned you "I actually had one myself" I presume this was red as my records say you only had red born 96 ..or did you re-invest?     Lol Glenn you love all this do

Thought you might be interested in this Jack, if you enjoyed the book,   This is a son of Omega's, a dog called Blue, he died in 1996 but was about 4 yrs old in this pic  

thanks.

Posted Images

Lad I know uses one as a gun dog, its obedient, retrieves fur and feather, good nose and works the cover well.... as ratting terriers, they are very good, not a well liked breed for obvious reasons regarding there origin.. :whistle: . :11:

As IanB has said they can be used as a gun dog, one of mine is, amongst other things, & one of her pups has gone to a gun who wishes to work him in that way. They hunt up a lot, have great noses & are excellent at flushing/bushing. They make good ratters & rabbiters, some will go to ground, same as with any other terrier I guess, it depends on the individual dog, though they aren’t known for being out & out digging dogs.

I don’t think it matters whether it’s the old stuff or the new, certain older lines do seem a bit more quarrelsome though :blink: :11:

IMO most of the dislike for the plummer terrier stems from their name. I’m more than happy with mine Jack, and I keep a russell too :yes:

bf604f15.jpg

rats3.jpg

AAAA0025.jpg

terriers2.jpg

feefc336.jpg

very versatile little terriers Jack :)

Thanks for the replies folks, millet ive read the other thread now thanks, i think its safer to keep my opinions to myself :good:

Keeps thanks for the pics they look good dogs, in very good condition, how do they compare to your jack russell? what would you say are the main differences?

How closely are your dogs to the origional lines?

thanks.

They are much better than any of my jack russells have been Jack, they have better noses and find & catch more game bushing than any russells Ive ever owned. I wouldn't be without a plummer now, I really notice the difference if they aren't out with me. Ive been out hunting with both 'pures' or 'old type' if you prefer, and outcrosses and from what Ive seen there isn't any difference.

Some of mine are closer to the older lines than others, mine are 3rd & 4th generation outcrosses. Older dogs like Vandal, Rocky, Maggot, San, Warlock, Kotion, Mask, Firebird, Damien, Rupert, Welsh Viper & Rip appear fairly recently in their pedigrees, within 4 generations, closer in some.

Guest HAWKEYE

why not take a lab or spaniel keeps?

TJ.... Avoid Sean Frains classic tomes :no: and Sherdowns are quite bad as well..Plummers books however are a good read if ratting is what your after..as opposed to genuine earthwork