Favourite authors?

I'm a bit of a reader and books of all types are one of my passions. I've bought some belters this week and I'm lucky to have some great second hand book shops on my doorstep.

My all time favourite author is Thomas Hardy and I never tire of his books...with his very last being an absolute work of art in my opinion - Jude the Obscure. There have been a few authors which I have been distraught they've never written more...namely Slavomir Rawicz and Guy Sajer, but I have to live with the very little they have given us.

Anyone read Sassoon's prose? Memoirs of a Fox Hunting Man? Memoirs of an Infantry Officer? I used to read that one dreaming of the day I got my pips :whistling:

So who is your favourite writer?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit of a reader and books of all types are one of my passions. I've bought some belters this week and I'm lucky to have some great second hand book shops on my doorstep.

My all time favourite author is Thomas Hardy and I never tire of his books...with his very last being an absolute work of art in my opinion - Jude the Obscure. There have been a few authors which I have been distraught they've never written more...namely Slavomir Rawicz and Guy Sajer, but I have to live with the very little they have given us.

Anyone read Sassoon's prose? Memoirs of a Fox Hunting Man? Memoirs of an Infantry Officer? I used to read that one dreaming of the day I got my pips :whistling:

So who is your favourite writer?

Last time I mentioned Sasson in a post I was asked what the feck a hairdresser got to do with hunting forum me favourite is a book about Noel Chavasse who was awarded two VC s.. WW1 dont know the author cant find the book since we moved ...

Book at present Johnsgard Pheasants of the World

The Ann Clayton book?

First visited Ypres in 1989 when I was trying to find the grave of my Great Great Grandfather but he was just one of the many names on the Menin Gate....26th April 1915....same day my other Great Great Grandfather went MIA too...same regiment, same place.

They either were victims of the second battle of Ypres...one of the most brutal ever seen....or both of the b*****ds went on the piss together and married up with French whores :laugh:

Hemingway - Green Hills of africa is a great account of a safari.

I'm also with you on the Hardy.

E Waugh's Scoop is as funny a book as i've read

and Steinbeck's East of Eden if you like Epic stories/

C McCarthy's Blood Meridian is about as brutal as you'd want to get. A wild west tale as it most likely was.

Tolkeins books were magical to me growing up. Jim Corbetts books onIndia were class as he wrote in a style that made you imagine you were there. Fieldsports and countryside authors such as Robin Page, James Douglas, Philip Holden and THL residents such as Mr Darcy and Mr Lloyd also write in a style I enjoy as it brings the reader into the pages. Stephen King books are great although the6y always ruin them when they transform them into rubbish films. Stupid white men by Michael Moore is an informative look into todays America.

I love reading too, anything and everything. Autobiographys are a favourite for me. Two that stood out were Jimmy Greaves book about a time when football wasnt about money and Teddy Atlas the boxing trainer who trained amoung others Mike Tyson. I'd recommened both of those to biog fans.

Also the books by Alex Haley, Roots and Queen fascinated, shocked and inspired me many years ago when I first read them but I've re-read them time and again over the years.

And my latest favourite is The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Its fiction but so beautifully written I was drawn into it completely and felt I knew the streets of Barcelona he was talking about.

I love a good read so any recommendations are more than welcome. :thumbs:

desmond morris comes to mind for me "the naked ape" in particular.. book was banded at one point but hes spot on i think, read a bit of his stuff and it,ll get you analizing everything.

ive watched him in interviews over the years to,, could listen to him all day.

Forgot about him! I have The Naked Ape and The Human Sexes by him thought they were both fascinating.

You'd probably like The Eternal Child by Clive Bromhall. A real thought provoking book on human evolution in relation to other primates

I will read just about anything that holds my attention.

Tess Gerritsen and Alex Kava write very good thrillers, I went off Stephen King a bit, his earlier stiff was better than any of the later stuff I read.

I'm reading Jeremy Clarkson's Don't stop me now at the moment which is good, I like his books, even though they are made up of his sunday times column.

I like a bit of Chick Lit too because i'm a bit of a sappy girl at times. :laugh:

A good autobiography, just read Gordon Ramsay's.

To be fair, i'll read anything. :D

Terry Pratchett for me. I find his discworld books quite hard to get into at first, but after about an hour or so, I can't stop reading them!

I've got a few of Clarkson's books, they make me laugh out sometimes. I can't remember the name of the book off hand, but there was one chapter about his efforts to shoot a fox, armed with a shotgun, bottle of wine & some dodgy ex-Russian army nightvision goggles! It was one of the funniest things I've ever read. :thumbs:

I can't remember the name of the book off hand, but there was one chapter about his efforts to shoot a fox, armed with a shotgun, bottle of wine & some dodgy ex-Russian army nightvision goggles! It was one of the funniest things I've ever read. :thumbs:

I've got that one and the name evades me too but its so funny! I love his sense of humour!

His dedication in his new book reads 'To everyone, except John Presscott.' :laugh: