• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest basil46

I have never bred related ferrets and never will. If i can`t find a good working hob i don`t bother breeding. There`s enough ferrets out there already.

On a lighter note my mate asked me if i was breeding my silvers this year, if i am then why don`t we pool the money from our ferrets together. I can sell silvers for up to £15 each, my mate gets £5 for his polecats. Do i want to pool the money? yeah right !! :feck: basil.

To line breed anything you mate related stock,if it works and you get good stock it is called line breeding.If you get any deformaties it is called inbreeding,try to find another hob really as she will come in heat at some point and will mate as soon as she can.

i dont think inbreeding is the name for deformatey breeding i thought in breeding was very close sib/sib or father daughter and line breeding is related but not as close uncle niece cousins or half sibs

in one of the books i read it sais inline breeding is good because it keeps, key features...

i no in humans it sais that if you and one of your family members even if really distant, your children will almost deffinatly be deformed...(thats what biology lessons do to you)

:sick:

and i hope i get silvers from my litter this year, its an albino jill and polecat hob, i had no intentions of breeding but when i have to travel really far to get a vesectomised hob i dont realy have a choice, and i was going to get my hob vesectomised, but thought ill let him do my jill first then afterwards maybe i will get him done...

do u think ill get silver mitts out of my litter by breeding from the albino and polecat...

i may also be keeping up to 3 of my litter, and have already had several deposits, on ferrets so if everything is ok, then they can be sold as soon as they are ready to go...

does anyone have prices on jill jabs not for my jill now as i think she is to old, but maybe for the jills i might keep, just out of interest... and whats the oldest, they will have the jab 8 months isnt it??

thanks

jazz

Edited by jazz_11

good good, cant wait for them to breed to be honest... whats the average, you lot keep at the moment i got 2 and i got a 2 tier hutch which is like the ones which you buy in pets at home... so its not huge but its big enough..... at the moment i have got the hob downstairs and the jill up stairs....... but blocked off the stairs so they cannot meet but when she is ready which wont be long ill let them be together...

how many would u say i should keep i was thinking of keeping 2 of my litter if everything is ok...

also if i get my hob vesectomised he should be able to do the job with his daughter, as jills seem to be generally better for rabbiting... but i dont want to have another litter after this...

so will the hob be able to mate with his daugter if he as had the snip..

also is there any other benifits, of getting him vesectomised other than not having kits....

some have said the smell dies down a little bit but not much....

cheers

jazz

Guest craftycarper

probably gonna upset a few folk here with this next sentence but here goes, why the hell do people wanna deliberately breed ferts to cull them if not happy with the end result. If you have a litter that are deformed, then fine it's in the best interest of the animal, but to breed from a pair that you know have a high chance of having abnormal young whats it all about.....

IF I KEEP 2 JILLS OF MY LITTER WOULD THEY BE ABLE TO MATE WITH THERE FATHER IF HE HAS HAD THE SNIP/????

come on lad. think about it. you aint breeding with him if hes had the snip so unless ferrets can get done for incest i think itll be fine :icon_redface::doh:

probably gonna upset a few folk here with this next sentence but here goes, why the hell do people wanna deliberately breed ferts to cull them if not happy with the end result. If you have a litter that are deformed, then fine it's in the best interest of the animal, but to breed from a pair that you know have a high chance of having abnormal young whats it all about.....

because i dont believe they end up deformed. find me someone thats ended up with dodgy litter and ill throw my hands up coz theres many people that have bred family for years with no probs. someone with experience please post as theres alot of know-feck-alls on her. not digging at you crafty, i do understand what your saying and it would be silly to do if it actuall DID cause problems bu im yet to find evidence of it.