• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Idk if the term trash fish is a thing over there but it's commonly used to talk about fish people deem inedible, a nuisance, not worth catching ect.  Stuff like carp, bullheads ,sheep's head ,drum, ga

Carp are also the number root cause of suicide in the uk .  many’s the sad soul fisherman in the southeast who has sat baiting their lines up only to be approached by a man said to be in Possessi

Wild , think our gar and y'all gar are two different things  

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Wild , think our gar and y'all gar are two different things

download (16).jpeg

0209WEB_smartt_1486678490.jpg

Alligator_gar_stocking-1_6-6-07.jpg

download (17).jpeg

With that fin pattern they look like the same family as pike, so same prep.

47 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

I know I was talking to some guys from over there about the cost of Sea food. Said they wish they had something More plentiful and easy,

It us both plentiful and easy; yes it's expensive if you buy it but we all have the right to forage it and can legally have a certain amount of crab/lobster traps without a licence. 

Tastes change, eel and lamprey were once popular a long time ago, who eats them now ?

Monkfish was only good for fake “scampi”, now it’s an expensive gourmet fish !

We used to get “rock salmon” , (dog fish!),in the fish shops, never see it now.

Cheers.

4 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Tastes change, eel and lamprey were once popular a long time ago, who eats them now ?

Cheers.

To be fair, the British isles food culture (including ireland) is f****d…..go to Paris and there’s fishmongers and greengrocers and butchers and all of it looks fantastic.

There is a fair movement of people (many of who are English) here now buying places that enable them to feed themselves and doing so…….

12 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

Easy enough if that's all you did

you wouldn’t do it around me mate without a boat its easier down your way or up scotland 

fishing off the beach here you wouldn’t feed yourself never mind a family 

winter off the boats you could load up have fish all year 

Just now, mC HULL said:

you wouldn’t do it around me mate without a boat its easier down your way or up scotland 

fishing off the beach here you wouldn’t feed yourself never mind a family 

winter off the boats you could load up have fish all year 

But seeing as boats exist……then?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

remember when you went in the chippy it was heaving it had a fresh fish counter with everything 

went to shit around the time labour got in 

1 minute ago, WILF said:

But seeing as boats exist……then?

ye that’s it even a small one starving you would row  out and load up wouldn’t you 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mC HULL said:

remember when you went in the chippy it was heaving it had a fresh fish counter with everything 

went to shit around the time labour got in 

The missus and I were just talking about this.

We remember when high streets had pork butchers, wet fish shops, greengrocers, hardware shops, instead of estate agents , charity shops and fast food outlets…..but we ARE very old though ! LOL !

Cheers.

• Like 3

The other year we was at the coast and me and kids collected limpets, did them with some garlic butter and sea weed when we got home….very nice they was too

• Like 2
Just now, WILF said:

The other year we was at the coast and me and kids collected limpets, did them with some garlic butter and sea weed when we got home….very nice they was too

Purge them in cold fresh water overnight, put them on a barbecue, in the shell and add a spoonful of garlic butter, don’t over cook…..free, easy to cook and delicious !

Cheers.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

We remember when high streets had pork butchers, wet fish shops, greengrocers, hardware shops, instead of estate agents , charity shops and fast food outlets…..but we ARE very old though ! LOL !

Cheers.

Retail parks and the proclivity of supermarkets with ease of access on dual carriageways , coupled with the cost of rent , killed the average British high street . 

is it any coincidence that the high streets of towns such as Richmond, guisborugh , yarm all still look Pretty traditional ? Money keeps that at bay 

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

I’m not quite 50 and can remember the same .