You reference the 2nd Boer War, lessons learned from the 1st, don't wear red and stand in line with white webbing forming an aiming point for skilled riflemen to shoot you 🙂 . WW1 did see the emergence of sniping as a potent weapon on the modern battlefield, as I am sure you know. The American Revolutionary War should have taught us that but we are slow to adapt. But during WW1 countrymen with decent levels of shooting and more importantly fieldcraft skills formed the basis of the early sniper units, many from gamekeeping and stalker occupation in civillian life. That's how the ghilie suit entered into the military. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

You reference the 2nd Boer War, lessons learned from the 1st, don't wear red and stand in line with white webbing forming an aiming point for skilled riflemen to shoot you 🙂 . WW1 did see the emergence of sniping as a potent weapon on the modern battlefield, as I am sure you know. The American Revolutionary War should have taught us that but we are slow to adapt. But during WW1 countrymen with decent levels of shooting and more importantly fieldcraft skills formed the basis of the early sniper units, many from gamekeeping and stalker occupation in civillian life. That's how the ghilie suit entered into the military. 

Well put , the art of sniping is named after the pursuit of the snipe bird which alwas notoriously difficult to get close to . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’d imagine it was half useful back in the days of iron sights. But with modern firearm/optics technology I can’t see any kind of keeper really getting value out of one.

Maybe a bit controversial but I’d say camo patterns don’t kill much either.

On 13/03/2024 at 17:19, TOMO said:

Airgun section mate...them lot are head to toe in ghillie suits ....they all think there Tom Berringer 

Sod off I ordered one from temu last week lol

Homemade_Ghillie_Suit_Full_Body_British_Woodland_How_to_and_Field_Tests.gif.5aab5d04e01cab5d3184edc29d76194a.gif

• Haha 2