3 minutes ago, mackem said:

It was also a charity.

REGISTER-OF-CHARITIES.CHARITYCOMMISSION.GOV.UK

Charity details for THE JOURDAIN SOCIETY COLLECTION - Charity 261162

Apparently it was a secret elite club, it was all very james 007 bond stuff to me , all cloak and dagger. I loved him telling me about his mate as we was ourselfs heading up north over the border looking for bigger things to run. In my 20,s I loved all the rogues and criminal elements lol

• Like 1

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Remember the large British birds eggs exhibit in Clifton park museum in Rotherham that had every British birds egg in the collection that was in two long tables in glass covered sections and me and i

The first time in my life I am ever going to get to use a word I learnt as a kid, he is an Oologist, what a relief to finally get that out. 

Our go too book was the observer book of british birds eggs. I think most young lads at the time (70s) who went bird nesting would have had a copy. Remember the best nest we ever found was a greenshan

Posted Images

Like probably most on here I collected eggs as a lad. Taking a couple of eggs from a nest, but leaving some behind, seemed pretty harmless. Of course if there were a gang of you out hunting, the nest might get emptied.., we’d call that ‘herrying’.., a term I’d never heard of before or since. 

The mission, as I remember, was to get an egg from as many species of bird as possible, the rarer the better…, a bit like filling a Panini football sticker album, where you’d want to fill in the ‘blanks’, and players like Dalglish, Francis etc. were the treasure. Don’t get keeping clutch after clutch from the same species, especially from more common birds.., I mean who’d want to keep drawers full of Gary Birtles and Jimmy Case stickers.

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, Leo Sayer said:

In my 20,s I loved all the rogues and criminal elements lol

A lot of laws are flexible mate,open to your own personal interpretations, the law makers are often the biggest law breakers, be lucky. 

• Thanks 1
Just now, mackem said:

A lot of laws are flexible mate,open to your own personal interpretations, the law makers are often the biggest law breakers, be lucky. 

Aye am sure we have all made our own and crossed that line a few times lol. 

• Haha 1

Remember the large British birds eggs exhibit in Clifton park museum in Rotherham that had every British birds egg in the collection that was in two long tables in glass covered sections and me and i few mates from school going in with a glass cutter to steal the golden eagles egg on view my mate was making an impression on the glass when the caretaker who had watched us as we went in and must have thought we were up to some thing came and tried to make a grab for us as we legged it . I have recently heard the museum still has this collection but it's not on public view but you can make an appointment to see it . I am tempted to see it if only to see the scratch mark on the glass that we did 51 years ago.lol

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 6
11 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Remember the large British birds eggs exhibit in Clifton park museum in Rotherham that had every British birds egg in the collection that was in two long tables in glass covered sections and me and i few mates from school going in with a glass cutter to steal the golden eagles egg on view my mate was making an impression on the glass when the caretaker who had watched us as we went in and must have thought we were up to some thing came and tried to make a grab for us as we legged it . I have recently heard the museum still has this collection but it's not on public view but you can make an appointment to see it . I am tempted to see it if only to see the scratch mark on the glass that we did 51 years ago.lol

Go and visit, that's the sort of thing I would have done, you could have probably picked the lock on the cabinet. 

9 minutes ago, mackem said:

Go and visit, that's the sort of thing I would have done, you could have probably picked the lock on the cabinet. 

We weren't that sophisticated mate just a bunch of 12 year old idiots that we seemed to attract other young idiots into our gang.lol

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, pesky1972 said:

Like probably most on here I collected eggs as a lad. Taking a couple of eggs from a nest, but leaving some behind, seemed pretty harmless. Of course if there were a gang of you out hunting, the nest might get emptied.., we’d call that ‘herrying’.., a term I’d never heard of before or since. 

The mission, as I remember, was to get an egg from as many species of bird as possible, the rarer the better…, a bit like filling a Panini football sticker album, where you’d want to fill in the ‘blanks’, and players like Dalglish, Francis etc. were the treasure. Don’t get keeping clutch after clutch from the same species, especially from more common birds.., I mean who’d want to keep drawers full of Gary Birtles and Jimmy Case stickers.

I was thinking exactly the same thing.Surely 1 egg from each species should be enough shouldnt it?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, mackem said:
BOOKS.GOOGLE.CO.UK

Originally published in 1920 when collecting bird's egss was a legal and accepted pastime for...

There's a few books on bird nesting written in a time when it was quite a gentlemanly activity. 

Screenshot_20240224_182855_com.android.chrome_edit_86672135956566.jpg

Screenshot_20240224_182903_com.android.chrome_edit_86690854041980.jpg

Screenshot_20240224_182918_com.android.chrome_edit_86708057694060.jpg

Our go too book was the observer book of british birds eggs. I think most young lads at the time (70s) who went bird nesting would have had a copy. Remember the best nest we ever found was a greenshank though we did not take any eggs as one had recently hatched and they would be what we called them in deepo. The reed buntings nest was always a good find aswell with the scribbles on their brown eggs. 

• Like 5
13 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Our go too book was the observer book of british birds eggs. I think most young lads at the time (70s) who went bird nesting would have had a copy. Remember the best nest we ever found was a greenshank though we did not take any eggs as one had recently hatched and they would be what we called them in deepo. The reed buntings nest was always a good find aswell with the scribbles on their brown eggs. 

i had that book. even marked off the eggs i had in my collection. I can remember getting into a fight with a lad because i had taken a cuckoos egg from a nest, I also found a fire crest nest and took a single egg. When we use to go back to Anglesey, i was always looking for gulls eggs. 

15 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Remember the best nest we ever found was a greenshank 

I found a killdeers nest a few years ago in Ontario.As kids we found grouse nests which were quite good find.

1 minute ago, paulus said:

i had that book. even marked off the eggs i had in my collection. I can remember getting into a fight with a lad because i had taken a cuckoos egg from a nest, I also found a fire crest nest and took a single egg. When we use to go back to Anglesey, i was always looking for gulls eggs. 

cuckoos egg would be quite a prize,as would a fire crest.

9FA2E014-B312-4D86-8497-19A2CD24E746.jpeg

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, paulus said:

The other year i witnessed Gold Finch collecting spiders webs off our fence, First time i have ever seen them do it. 

Must have been a surprise that mate I know long tailed tits use spider webs to build their nests wich are a marvel of nature the work that goes into them from such a small bird. 

• Like 3