Best live rat traps

They all the same really mate,just need some tweaking...Try covering the floor with 7 mm ply or similar either side of the tread plate...cable tie a bottle cap behind it, hanging from the top of the trap..put some Nutella in it...let them get used to the trap for 48 hrs,taking the bait without it going off...then set it accordingly 👍DSC_2958.JPG.621d04cc28da69472abed6325ff821b5.JPGDSC_2906.JPG.25229200c6facff83736781512602a9a.JPG

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

They all the same really mate,just need some tweaking...Try covering the floor with 7 mm ply or similar either side of the tread plate...cable tie a bottle cap behind it, hanging from the top of the trap..put some Nutella in it...let them get used to the trap for 48 hrs,taking the bait without it going

That sounds like a good move, I have some rats in the farm shed that have outsmarted me and the two terriers for months. All we keep catching is half grown ones. I don't like poison as we have butcher birds, hawks and goannas I like around the place.

11 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

That sounds like a good move, I have some rats in the farm shed that have outsmarted me and the two terriers for months. All we keep catching is half grown ones. I don't like poison as we have butcher birds, hawks and goannas I like around the place.

Smoker and terriers 😁

• Like 2

Made up this trap from some weld mesh I had. Strange thing is it out performs a similar size Squirrel Trap they both catch just it just seems to work better.

IMG_2886.jpeg.d245f1e9292c8d5314890185dceaf720.jpeg

IMG_2887.jpeg.8cdda5e31c11a80d07c03b38ee683bd5.jpeg

Similar size Squirrel trap.

IMG_2891.jpeg.b696b95ef26bc4995b7b4f9e9d6f1298.jpeg

Cheers Arry

14 minutes ago, EDDIE B said:

Why not just break back lad?

Or should I ask😂

Ed I had a Fen set in a tube at the top of the garden a while back now and one of my ferrets escaped and was in it. I was gutted mate. The old lady next door that moved in moved a shed next to my garden next to all my bird feeders. I asked not to put it there as it created an ideal place for rat. I stay on top of them using live traps and poison if it gets bad after a long wet spell as they seem to seek out under her shed then. I just put them down with a bit of lead in one ear so speak.

Made up that cobbled up trap for a bit of fun and for some reason it works well.

Cheers Arry

• Like 3
1 hour ago, EDDIE B said:

Why not just break back lad?

Or should I ask😂

I only use live catch traps around the kennels/sheds because I have ferrets...they have escaped in the past,my jills climb like squirrels ,will try and play with my terriers)lurcher.. fortunately ,I  have been lucky enough to get them back,unharmed...DSC_0772.JPG.8152dd790c96fd7d1c5f9f826cc4cd35.JPGDSC_0690.JPG.c8a3c7d485424f9e6d97b94877c25ccb.JPG

• Like 6
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought some fat ball for the birds from Morrison's bloody crap the birds won't touch them except corvids. So drill a hole in then hung them on a bit of wire and Bobs your uncle Lol.

Rats like them.

IMG_3090.jpeg.7c14ee509797a871120c7b589bc5a1bf.jpeg

IMG_3088.jpeg.d0579a3449befbf75d72c01353323aac.jpeg

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 8
  • 2 weeks later...
On 07/02/2024 at 11:49, Arry said:

I bought so fat ball for the bird from Morrison's bloody crap the birds won't touch them except corvids. So drill a hole in then hung them on a bit of wire and Bobs your uncle Lol.

Rats like them.

IMG_3090.jpeg.7c14ee509797a871120c7b589bc5a1bf.jpeg

IMG_3088.jpeg.d0579a3449befbf75d72c01353323aac.jpeg

Cheers Arry

A wished I'd of know that 😆 same Here bought some from local garden centre for blue titts and long tails but nothing. So when out walking a took them down near local lakes and put them on some fence posts crushed up. On way back a seen some great tits munching away , and a pair of mallards on floor cleaning all rest up. But looks good that so will buy a few more from pound shop seen them cheaper in there for using on traps. 

Edited by Bangersanmash
39 minutes ago, Bangersanmash said:

A wished I'd of know that 😆 same Here bought some from local garden centre for blue titts and long tails but nothing. So when out walking a took them down near local lakes and put them on some fence posts crushed up. On way back a seen some great tits munching away , and a pair of mallards on floor cleaning all rest up. But looks good that so will buy a few more from pound shop seen them cheaper in there for using on traps. 

Yeah they seem to make good bait had another rat yesterday and a Squirrel two days ago. Squirrels seem to like them as well but there was a few peanut in the cage as well.

They always seem to turn up when we have a lot of rain nice and dry under the lady's next door shed.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Bangersanmash said:

When we was kids ,we used to use the old chip/bacon fat,mix it with bird seeds and let it set in old yogurt pots...hang them up for the tits etc in the winter bangers....f**k them shop bought fat balls😉👍

• 2 weeks later...