• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I might have a look this year.  I'm going to go dressed in full tweeds now I have a shoot.  

I think the pith helmet suits me ! PMSL ! Pip pip old boy !

Posted Images

At last. Lol.

This is my grandad in his Boer war uniform,complete with pith helmet.

His wife and some of his older children are superimposed.

It must have been taken between 1899 and 1902.

I have a picture of him in the glasshouse somewhere about. He was put in there because he had beef with another soldier. They were put together in a boxing ring and my grandad lost according to the ref. But there was uproar as the decision was disputed by onlookers. So the fight continued and both men were put into a makeshift glass house. They emerged 24 hours later best of mates and severely dehydrated. It was a shed with bars on a window and a tin roof...not the best construction for  the climate.

Time,who can understand it?  My wife's dad was born in 1908!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
50 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

At last. Lol.

This is my grandad in his Boer war uniform,complete with pith helmet.

His wife and some of his older children are superimposed.

It must have been taken between 1899 and 1902.

I have a picture of him in the glasshouse somewhere about. He was put in there because he had beef with another soldier. They were put together in a boxing ring and my grandad lost according to the ref. But there was uproar as the decision was disputed by onlookers. So the fight continued and both men were put into a makeshift glass house. They emerged 24 hours later best of mates and severely dehydrated. It was a shed with bars on a window and a tin roof...not the best construction for  the climate.

Time,who can understand it?  My wife's dad was born in 1908!

Well done ! 
Now you just need to learn a bit of photo editing! LOL !

31B93303-18DE-4C7B-BF6F-9F71C48CAFFC.jpeg.609cfb25e04fb29f12136f40e7dabd43.jpeg

Just looking at that fine gentleman let’s us know how we conquered a third of the world and had the greatest empire known to man !

Cheers.

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Just looking at that fine gentleman let’s us know how we conquered a third of the world and had the greatest empire known to man !

There’s a plinth in a cemetery in Surrey,saw it ages ago,it’s actually got a pith helmet carved on it,the guy died fighting the dervishes in the Somaliland campaign or some such far-flung long forgotten war.

Just now, mackem said:

There’s a plinth in a cemetery in Surrey,saw it ages ago,it’s actually got a pith helmet carved on it,the guy died fighting the dervishes in the Somaliland campaign or some such far-flung long forgotten war.

“ They don’t like it up ‘em, Captain Mackem “

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Well done ! 
Now you just need to learn a bit of photo editing! LOL !

31B93303-18DE-4C7B-BF6F-9F71C48CAFFC.jpeg.609cfb25e04fb29f12136f40e7dabd43.jpeg

Cheers.

I have no idea what photo editing is CP. And not much inclination to find out Lol.

Learning how to post a photo was intellectually taxing enough. I know my limits Lol.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, jukel123 said:

Looking back through old photos can be quite emotional. Sometimes you can see your own self peering back at you. Here's a poem by Thomas Hardy which sums it up perfectly. 

I've started printing off a few photos and writing the details and dates on the back. Nobody does it anymore.... photos disappear when people get new phones .

Going to get myself a couple of albums 

PXL_20240105_200019949.MP.jpg

• Like 1

Don't think I can afford the shooting show or a pith helmet ☹️. Called into the gun shop today and spunked this month's housekeeping on a new 20bore

PXL_20240105_174107625.MP.jpg

• Like 1