Boots,Bear & Rose..

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was how Bear was every single day for a month after breaking his neck then another pic of him as he is now,I never went to bed for 30 day's,I turned him over every 2 hours to prevent him getting

Here's Boots on one of the many occasions I've worked him until almost his last breath,the dog has no quit in him,Bear & Rose his pups are exactly the same,all these dog's would lay their life on

Hope everyone has had a decent season running their dogs 👍🏻 ..another one comes to an end & that's about it for my old mongrel Boots too,he's let me know the past 4 or 5 trip's out he's had enough

Posted Images

Had ourselves a wander out yesterday morning,was extremely tough going to be honest,we still managed to put some miles in out on the mountains. Where we parked must of been like the inside of a freezer,just look at the pic showing the temperature in the motor,my Garmin Fenix watch indicated that we walked almost 17 miles,a lot of that was due to having a long walk to get to the base of the ascent up the mountains as the road to my usual park was blocked due to snow/ice. You may see my minimum & maximum heart rate on that graph too,your max heart rate should be 220 minus your age,mine shouldn't be anymore than around 160bpm but as shown I'm up into the 170's, anything above your maximum of 220 minus your age put's you into the danger zone of suffering a heart attack or stroke so I'm pushing myself beyond my limits really trekking about up there,still I've been into the high 180bpm on recent day's up there & am still here at least for now anyways. Stunning day to be out & about,magical scenery in what was a winter wonderland,back to heavy rain & 60mph winds over the weekend so it'll be a big change on the high ground with saturated underfoot conditions which will lead to difficult conditions of a different kind,the river crossings will be impassible because of all the snow melt as they will be in spate. One way or another there never ever seems to be an 'easy' day up there. We have a couple of injuries to contend with after yesterday's event,Rose has took a stopper off,the scar tissue from having had an operation on her broken leg is weeping profusely again,Bear has a wee knock & poor old Boots well he's just absolutely stiff as a board this morning,his back has long been a problem to him but he will be grand in a couple of day's I'm sure of it..we go again in a few days time 👀

1705651007802-01.jpeg

1705651169715-01.jpeg

1705651132304-01.jpeg

Screenshot_2024-01-19-08-00-36-781_com.garmin.android.apps.connectmobile-edit.jpg

• Like 6

Young pup at 5 1/2 month's old learning a 'little bit' off old Boots this past week,she could do a lot worse than follow his every move.

1705591309976-01.jpeg

1705591115251-01.jpeg

1705591859697-01.jpeg

• Like 11
5 hours ago, Black neck said:

How's that youngun bred

She's just lurcher x lurcher bred matey,bit of everything in her bar bull I'd imagine,she's my Mrs dog,she does all the hard work with her,walking,feeding, obedience training,breaking to livestock, learning her to jump etc,I just take the pup now & again with my own idiot's to let her gain a bit of fieldcraft whilst out & about & hopefully to see a few odds & sods laid to rest by my useless gits.

1704822648005-01.jpeg

• Like 7
On 19/01/2024 at 08:23, FUJI said:

Had ourselves a wander out yesterday morning,was extremely tough going to be honest,we still managed to put some miles in out on the mountains. Where we parked must of been like the inside of a freezer,just look at the pic showing the temperature in the motor,my Garmin Fenix watch indicated that we walked almost 17 miles,a lot of that was due to having a long walk to get to the base of the ascent up the mountains as the road to my usual park was blocked due to snow/ice. You may see my minimum & maximum heart rate on that graph too,your max heart rate should be 220 minus your age,mine shouldn't be anymore than around 160bpm but as shown I'm up into the 170's, anything above your maximum of 220 minus your age put's you into the danger zone of suffering a heart attack or stroke so I'm pushing myself beyond my limits really trekking about up there,still I've been into the high 180bpm on recent day's up there & am still here at least for now anyways. Stunning day to be out & about,magical scenery in what was a winter wonderland,back to heavy rain & 60mph winds over the weekend so it'll be a big change on the high ground with saturated underfoot conditions which will lead to difficult conditions of a different kind,the river crossings will be impassible because of all the snow melt as they will be in spate. One way or another there never ever seems to be an 'easy' day up there. We have a couple of injuries to contend with after yesterday's event,Rose has took a stopper off,the scar tissue from having had an operation on her broken leg is weeping profusely again,Bear has a wee knock & poor old Boots well he's just absolutely stiff as a board this morning,his back has long been a problem to him but he will be grand in a couple of day's I'm sure of it..we go again in a few days time 👀

1705651007802-01.jpeg

1705651169715-01.jpeg

1705651132304-01.jpeg

Screenshot_2024-01-19-08-00-36-781_com.garmin.android.apps.connectmobile-edit.jpg

Out of interest mate, which of the 3 runners would you say ticks all the boxes for an all-rounder and puts the most away bigger quarry wise? You have a nice selection of dogs there with slightly different make ups so do you have a favourite if you don't mind me asking?👍

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the comments folk's,I'll get around to answering the questions asked when I'm back from doing the dog's this morning.. meanwhile here's a few pics from our recent adventures 

1708619736426-01.jpeg

1708791650856-01.jpeg

1707493903063-01.jpeg

• Like 3
On 22/01/2024 at 10:44, Backandbeyond said:

Out of interest mate, which of the 3 runners would you say ticks all the boxes for an all-rounder and puts the most away bigger quarry wise? You have a nice selection of dogs there with slightly different make ups so do you have a favourite if you don't mind me asking?👍

For bigger gear Boots has been far & away the best of the 3, unfortunately Bear broke his neck as a young dog which stopped his progression in it's track's literally,he was 'looking' like being a brilliant dog,he just done everything as one would like to see,a big powerful,very fast dog he was,alas we never got to see what he may of achieved,still today he can occasionally show a glimpse of his youth & look pretty impressive at work. I personally believe he would of been a better dog than Boots on big gear but there again maybe he wouldn't? Rose is the best of the 3 as far as being an all round type,she has had a lot of gear,big gear included,she isn't the biggest but she doesn't know that. She has had around half of the number what Boots has had on big stuff,no mean feat for what was the smallest pup in the litter. Day or night comes alike to her,she has caught lot's of tackle in both sphere's,she too is a very quick animal,retrieves in textbook fashion & although all 3 will confront anything I'd personally say she is the one who will take a bit more punishment on the harder stuff without making too much of a fuss of thing's. She has had good numbers on the lamp & has put some impressive numbers away in the day too on all matter of stuff. As for a favourite of the 3 well it has to be Boots,he has honestly been a masterclass at certain thing's,he's been a wonderful servant to us. He will be 12 this upcoming October 1st,he only has one eye but he's still the first dog I load up in the motor of a morning when heading out,he's obviously not the dog he once was but it just wouldn't seem right going without him & as long as he wants to go he's always welcome to lead my team out.

IMG_0706.JPG

• Like 14

Just back home from what will probably be our last hunting trip of the season, travelled well over 500 miles by motor & put in some very hard miles on foot in what was very testing weather to say the least. On awakening the first morning I opened the campervan door to a winter wonderland,it was extremely windy & the snow was  very heavy indeed. The second morning we headed out it was mostly rain mixed with a little sleet but as we trudged up the mountains that turned once again to heavy & persistent snow. Both mornings were extremely cold with the temperature just below freezing but the strong winds made the real feel temperature below minus double digits. Visibility was poor both mornings & occasionally in a white out it was nigh on impossible to see 10-20 yards in front of you. Still we cracked on & had ourselves a go,I had old Boots with me,Rose & my Cocker Spaniel Suzie too & my Mrs pup who was 7 month's old just yesterday,everyday still being a school day for the pup & I guess she could fare far worse than tag along with Boots at her age,he knows the craic & rarely if ever puts a foot wrong in life..we did manage to see a bit of wildlife,mainly way too far off in the distance & or looking down on us from granite,icy cliffs in the corries above us high on the mountain tops. It's always good to be out in mother nature's back garden regardless of getting on the scoreboard,we did strike lucky one morning when the tracking collars showed the dog's were together & steady some 930 yard's away,it took me a good while to get to them but the dog's had the job sorted when I arrived so all was fine & dandy & the next morning we were unlucky,that's just how it goes especially out on the mountains & probably even more so when conditions aren't exactly favourable. Another adventure,more memories made,another season has came to it's end.. Time to rest up,enjoy the spring/summer break,let the dog's recharge their batteries & when winter comes around again see what happens then..always be appreciative of your working dog's,we owe them so much,I certainly do.

1709545078224-01.jpeg

1709544989600-01.jpeg

1709374624480-01.jpeg

1709374386070-01.jpeg

• Like 10