Cold weather

The last week its been really frosty here minus 5 and below on top of there grub i am giving the dog a good sized bit of pork crackling might not help them but i think the extra fat might ?.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The one said:

The last week its been really frosty here minus 5 and below on top of there grub i am giving the dog a good sized bit of pork crackling might not help them but i think the extra fat might ?.

Good idea fellah👏

Dogs can lose condition in this cold weather,..more so if they are kenneled in an unthinking manner....

I've seen more than a few large, spacious "Cathedral sized", volumanous sleeping blocks, that seem more akin to high security prisons, than kennels...

Facts are, the best 'boxes' for keeping the working dogs nice and warm, are frequently small...

All a dog really needs in this cold weather, is to be able to crawl in and lose himself, in snug amounts of dry bedding....

I remember visiting a noted breeder/trainer of 'Bird Dogs'  in the Highlands of Scotland,...I was shocked to see these rare and expensive, specalist dogs, living out in the snow, and having access to raised wooden barrels for shelter....Upon examination, I was cheered to note, how warm and secure these basic wee houses were....

Personaly, Ive always felt that until my animals are all fed and watered , and bedded down, right and proper, I cannot really settle down myself...

Working dogs are valuable assetts and they deserve to be treated like heroes....  🙏

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, OldPhil said:

Good idea fellah👏

Dogs can lose condition in this cold weather,..more so if they are kenneled in an unthinking manner....

I've seen more than a few large, spacious "Cathedral sized", volumanous sleeping blocks, that seem more akin to high security prisons, than kennels...

Facts are, the best 'boxes' for keeping the working dogs nice and warm, are frequently small...

All a dog really needs in this cold weather, is to be able to crawl in and lose himself, in snug amounts of dry bedding....

I remember visiting a noted breeder/trainer of 'Bird Dogs'  in the Highlands of Scotland,...I was shocked to see these rare and expensive, specalist dogs, living out in the snow, and having access to raised wooden barrels for shelter....Upon examination, I was cheered to note, how warm and secure these basic wee houses were....

Personaly, Ive always felt that until my animals are all fed and watered , and bedded down, right and proper, I cannot really settle down myself...

Working dogs are valuable assetts and they deserve to be treated like heroes....  🙏

My kennels are warmer than my house, I’ve got sheds an inside the sheds I’ve made  a 4x4 box lined with 50mm kingspan with a lid and a heater tube in each bed then about 2 foot deep in waxed shredded paper, an I can sleep at night knowing my dogs are warm and comfortable 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, OldPhil said:

Good idea fellah👏

Good 📫