Alsation lurchers

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fawn bitch my old mates first x gsd . Decent all rounder 

yeh mate, still got me old dog, he 11  now,  and he 1x gsd x grey , good feet, coat, good pace, good wind . not going say he any better than any other lurcherxs , there plenty of lads got lurcher x lu

It’s a trait but mine used them in the woods 😉 there was recently a stunning malinois  x saluki grey I think on fb working dog page that has same pricked ears  .

Posted Images

On 20/04/2024 at 09:22, Germhound 2 said:

I've found my last post as Germhound, I never produced the reverse 3/4 cross I was thinking of doing . My plans changed for sure . 

I have/had team of white shepherds,  2 of the working team of 4 are still with me , imported a bitch from Italy last year that dog sure can hunt. A light framed dog compared to my NZ lines . She has produced a litter and 2 bitches I kept are showing they like hunting .

As for the gsd X I have Zappa's semen on ice , I was going to put it to a very small grew I had here ( she was the grew that never grew ) but she passed a few weeks back after a day's work. Not sure what to do now. Maybe back to the reverse 3/4 idea. If I could go back I would of tried to bring the size down a bit , to suit the work I've been doing here. Lots of small gardens from 1/4 acre up. Lots of tight areas that test a dog.

See what retirement brings . 

Thank you for sharing with us,dont be shy,you must have a load of interesting stories to share😉👍

• Like 3
2 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Nice to hear from you again  sb 👍

@Aussie Whip I remember reading an nz  pig hunting book and they deemed the breed as a bit of sheep muncher ? 
shame really as they can be switched on loyal dogs . 

I think that can apply to any tye dog, if you don't get, get a good  hard training in it's head. 

• Like 1
Just now, bird said:

I think that can apply to any tye dog, if you don't get, get a good  hard training in its head. 

Oh yes but it used to be same here years ago couple of dogs do something an have a certain trait and the whole breed stereotypically gets labelled the same .

On 20/04/2024 at 09:22, Germhound 2 said:

I've found my last post as Germhound, I never produced the reverse 3/4 cross I was thinking of doing . My plans changed for sure . 

I have/had team of white shepherds,  2 of the working team of 4 are still with me , imported a bitch from Italy last year that dog sure can hunt. A light framed dog compared to my NZ lines . She has produced a litter and 2 bitches I kept are showing they like hunting .

As for the gsd X I have Zappa's semen on ice , I was going to put it to a very small grew I had here ( she was the grew that never grew ) but she passed a few weeks back after a day's work. Not sure what to do now. Maybe back to the reverse 3/4 idea. If I could go back I would of tried to bring the size down a bit , to suit the work I've been doing here. Lots of small gardens from 1/4 acre up. Lots of tight areas that test a dog.

See what retirement brings . 

I know when we talked years ago, that you always perferd, the 1x gsd x grey, to the 1/4 gsd x 3/4 grey. As the 1x alot tougher. Takes the bang/bumps far better, and as you said the 1x not that much slower. My self now a old man 71.  72 in August, my lamping days are gone but still take old Buck my 1 x gsd xgrey out for 1-2 hours mooching every day. He be my last working lurcher. I was thinking that I wrap up when he gone say poss 18 months time if I am lucky, that I not get another dog. Well I suppose I be lost with out one around me had them 35 years now, and more so since my wife died in February, a dog  deff are bit of company. If did get another, I prob get say collie greyx beddy whippet x grey type about 34 in 50lb male good coat, as it live outside. But the old dog OK been out this morning with him and little woody for a hour nice walk. If you want to pm me you can. Ray. 👍

2 minutes ago, bird said:

I know when we talked years ago, that you always perferd, the 1x gsd x grey, to the 1/4 gsd x 3/4 grey. As the 1x alot tougher. Takes the bang/bumps far better, and as you said the 1x not that much slower. My self now a old man 71.  72 in August, my lamping days are gone but still take old Buck my 1 x gsd xgrey out for 1-2 hours mooching every day. He be my last working lurcher. I was thinking that I wrap up when he gone say poss 18 months time if I am lucky, that I not get another dog. Well I suppose I be lost with out one around me had them 35 years now, and more so since my wife died in February, a dog  deff are bit of company. If did get another, I prob get say collie greyx beddy whippet x grey type about 34 in 50lb male good coat, as it live outside. But the old dog OK been out this morning with him and little woody for a hour nice walk. If you want to pm me you can. Ray. 👍

That's 24, not feckin 34.bloody big fingers lol

4 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Nice to hear from you again  sb 👍

@Aussie Whip I remember reading an nz  pig hunting book and they deemed the breed as a bit of sheep muncher ? 
shame really as they can be switched on loyal dogs . 

Years ago they were practically thought of as wolves in sheep country here. Loose or feral sheep dogs probably kill more sheep than all other breeds put together do. I think Shepherds were just scapegoats in reality.

• Like 2
On 21/04/2024 at 13:31, Aussie Whip said:

Years ago they were practically thought of as wolves in sheep country here. Loose or feral sheep dogs probably kill more sheep than all other breeds put together do. I think Shepherds were just scapegoats in reality.

over the  35 years ive had lurchers , ive been out with few lads , who said there dogs ok with sheep, they aint been , had to keep the there twats on a lead. i only ever had one prob with Buck and them woolly feckers, it was was when just started  getting few deer, this is the big prob for most people , it the switch from rabbits hares,  then to run total different  quarry , with foxes no prob, i think he thought  they just  the same like with feral cats he killed few them . Know was out and after  big stuff, had couple runs they got away, coming was sheep  by hedge  that i didnt see, well he seen it, pulled it down didnt kill it, just held it down till i got to him. well iknew what i was going to do. he i give the fooker his biggest good hiding  he ever had , he cried out , and cowered on the floor. well that lesson went home, he never  touched another sheep again . same as when i had keplie x collie x grey bitch , had couple munjack thats all , never really any other deer , but she grabbed one one morning back of a hedge , give her good hiding , and she never done it again. you got to be cruel to be kind, because if you dont , you get the dog shot  be , a farmer, so one good hiding , could save its life long term.:yes:

• Like 6
14 hours ago, bird said:

over the  35 years ive had lurchers , ive been out with few lads , who said there dogs ok with sheep, they aint been , had to keep the there twats on a lead. i only ever had one prob with Buck and them woolly feckers, it was was when just started  getting few deer, this is the big prob for most people , it the switch from rabbits hares,  then to run total different  quarry , with foxes no prob, i think he thought  they just  the same like with feral cats he killed few them . Know was out and after  big stuff, had couple runs they got away, coming was sheep  by hedge  that i didnt see, well he seen it, pulled it down didnt kill it, just held it down till i got to him. well iknew what i was going to do. he i give the fooker his biggest good hiding  he ever had , he cried out , and cowered on the floor. well that lesson went home, he never  touched another sheep again . same as when i had keplie x collie x grey bitch , had couple munjack thats all , never really any other deer , but she grabbed one one morning back of a hedge , give her good hiding , and she never done it again. you got to be cruel to be kind, because if you dont , you get the dog shot  be , a farmer, so one good hiding , could save its life long term.:yes:

And I reckon the shepherd types would learn pretty quick. Back when they were hated in sheep country over here, German Shepherds were extremely popular and that meant uncaring dickheads had them too and let them run loose at night. I don't trust any dog loose by itself around sheep, even the best trained dogs can revert back to their wolf ancestors when the master isn't around. Stock guardian breeds like Kangals might be the exception.

Edited by Aussie Whip
On 24/04/2024 at 02:23, Aussie Whip said:

And I reckon the shepherd types would learn pretty quick. Back when they were hated in sheep country over here, German Shepherds were extremely popular and that meant uncaring dickheads had them too and let them run loose at night. I don't trust any dog loose by itself around sheep, even the best trained dogs can revert back to their wolf ancestors when the master isn't around. Stock guardian breeds like Kangals might be the exception.

yeh, they really must be, because those shepherds  in turkey , would deff not tolerate a sheep killer no way  . my mate gorse over there few times his wife from turkey. he told me that  the dogs be 100% with stock  or it dead right away , god knows how they get them like that  with them. i think he said they take the pups out very young but, keep tabs on them all the while  keep the mature dogs with them all the while . and kangals live life really like wild dog , a part from Shepard feed them every day , but they wont tolerate anybody else out there , you wouldn't mess with them  , very fit healthy fast dogs, with immense  power in body and jaw  deff 

• Like 1