Late Start to the Season

Arry

Well we finally started. I hate bloody pig wire never caught any in the long net my side had them in run nets just behind the wire. Ended up with five not great numbers but I'm happy enough with that.

IMG_1838.jpeg.539338b76db63cba0e99a3fe1f96cae8.jpeg

Cheers Arry

• Like 15

11 hours ago, Arry said:

Well we finally started. I hate bloody pig wire never caught any in the long net my side had them in run nets just behind the wire. Ended up with five not great numbers but I'm happy enough with that.

IMG_1838.jpeg.539338b76db63cba0e99a3fe1f96cae8.jpeg

Cheers Arry

Just an observation, have your poles set the other way round, in front of your net inStead of at the back, that way all the bagging in the netting is at the right side if that makes sence 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On 26/10/2023 at 10:14, neil b said:

Just an observation, have your poles set the other way round, in front of your net inStead of at the back, that way all the bagging in the netting is at the right side if that makes sence 

Two of the guys I regularly ferret with do this not always on purpose they just wack the nets down sometimes the correct way like you say sometimes the other way...the reality is of course either way usually caught most of what bolts....but it does my head in...lol....and they will pick the net up any old way round on the basket....

So I won't let them touch my nets...lol

I always set from right to left ...clockwise round a Warren so the bag is behind my pegs..

I just bought a new net few month ago...that net had all the poles threaded through and taped on...never seen that before...just wrong

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, TOMO said:

Two of the guys I regularly ferret with do this not always on purpose they just wack the nets down sometimes the correct way like you say sometimes the other way...the reality is of course either way usually caught most of what bolts....but it does my head in...lol....and they will pick the net up any old way round on the basket....

So I won't let them touch my nets...lol

I always set from right to left ...clockwise round a Warren so the bag is behind my pegs..

I just bought a new net few month ago...that net had all the poles threaded through and taped on...never seen that before...just wrong

Iv just got a les Nelson net, it’s an absolute cracker he’s well worth a look, 

• Like 1

Yeah,...I try to get the Long Net supports, facing the way that the bolt is coming from,...in saying that,...when you are using 'stop nets' and ditch nets to split a hedgerow, and you have two teams working, right and left, the rabbits will often 'hit ' the nets arse about face,....this is where you need work dogs that really do understand the job....

Sometimes, in the old rabbiting game, you have to go with the flow,...nothing is written in stone....😉

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 6
24 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

Yeah,...I try to get the Long Net supports, facing the way that the bolt is coming from,...in saying that,...when you are using 'stop nets' and ditch nets to split a hedgerow, and you have two teams working, right and left, the rabbits will often 'hit ' the nets arse about face,....this is where you need work dogs that really do understand the job....

Sometimes, in the old rabbiting game, you have to go with the flow,...nothing is written in stone....😉

DSC_9830.JPG

In that picture I had to start at a certain place and shoot uphill and I was lazy really I hate flipping the poles over. I also like to be farther off the hedge but was trying to stretch the net as far as I could to cover the last hole. Didn't matter in the end the two I had were in them run nets behind the posts, I do like run nets.

Cheers Arry

• Like 2

Every Farm I've been on this year has put up new bloody wire.

IMG_2057.jpeg.a7ceaec6f1895b9531560dfd091f0ada.jpeg

Picking up ended up with seven. Not one left the hedge all in run nets and the odd hole we could reach.

IMG_2062.jpeg.0fa227f839ff9697ba20e153b02b4575.jpeg

IMG_2065.jpeg.c6eb62426267bc111ba94530ab4e2c93.jpeg

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 3

Have you tried placing small cut down sheets of plywood of similar into the hedge at intervals to possibly push them off their runs in the hedge, I’m sure there was someone on YouTube using them think they called them donk boards 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, neil b said:

Have you tried placing small cut down sheets of plywood of similar into the hedge at intervals to possibly push them off their runs in the hedge, I’m sure there was someone on YouTube using them think they called them donk boards 

Yea seen that Neil but to be honest the long nets purse net shovel and bar is enough to carry. I not really moaning we had a great morning and I'm happy with seven. Was a bit of up and down one burrow and back again but it added to the fun we had them all out of that section of hedge. The bottom strand of barbed wire was a b*****d for me had rabbit in a purse net twice pursed up and wrapped around the wire, I had them but took some sorting lol.

Cheers Arry