Salmon guys.

Just now, jukel123 said:

My adrenalin is sky high watching that.

When the run is on the pools are black with fish,theres 100+ good salmon rivers in Quebec alone,I have been chatting with my kids about a 2 week salmon trip,but I think my best chance for a 40 is on the west coast.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mackem said:

Tyne still produces,I fished it as a kid and am still in contact with a mate who does so,the Wear was and still is a better river for anadromous fish,one of englands top sea trout rivers,I used to live a very short walk from the bank,there was/is a free stretch in Durham City which is good.

It’s probably englands best salmon river and I don’t follow the reports anymore but speaking to a few people who fish it , it’s not been as good this year . My mate normally gets a few every year off there , first time he went a few years ago he had 5 in a day but this year no salmon just seatrout , some decent ones aswell . He’s just paid a fair bit of money to join a syndicate on there for next season though . If I remember right , that free stretch of the wear was good for dace aswell 

9 minutes ago, neil r said:

It’s probably englands best salmon river and I don’t follow the reports anymore but speaking to a few people who fish it , it’s not been as good this year . My mate normally gets a few every year off there , first time he went a few years ago he had 5 in a day but this year no salmon just seatrout , some decent ones aswell . He’s just paid a fair bit of money to join a syndicate on there for next season though . If I remember right , that free stretch of the wear was good for dace aswell 

Couple of hundred fish ran up the Tyne in April according to the riding mill fish counter.Tyne and Wear are good for sea trout with the wear edging it.Loved the two rivers as a kid,you fished the Wear at Durham ice-rink stretch Neil?

8 hours ago, mackem said:

Couple of hundred fish ran up the Tyne in April according to the riding mill fish counter.Tyne and Wear are good for sea trout with the wear edging it.Loved the two rivers as a kid,you fished the Wear at Durham ice-rink stretch Neil?

He fishes up round Alston which is a long way up river so it’s normally at the back end the club members fish our stretches so maybe they made it up earlier this year and they missed them or possibly they went up the north Tyne , who knows , might just be because the people I’ve spoke to are coming from near me and Cheshire so just getting there on the wrong day . He doesn’t help himself though because he won’t do anything other than fly fish for them which limits the water and conditions he can fish effectively , doesn’t normally stop him catching a few but this is the first year he’s not had one . Think his new syndicate is a lot further down , I’m sure he said it’s further down than Hexham . Some of the seatrout he’s had off the south Tyne have been 7-8lb+ , from the photos he sends me they seem to be a better average size up there than down here . I haven’t fished the wear , just remember reading articles about that free stretch years ago in I think it was coarse angling today or coarse fisherman about the dace fishing being really good 

6 hours ago, neil r said:

He fishes up round Alston which is a long way up river so it’s normally at the back end the club members fish our stretches so maybe they made it up earlier this year and they missed them or possibly they went up the north Tyne , who knows , might just be because the people I’ve spoke to are coming from near me and Cheshire so just getting there on the wrong day . He doesn’t help himself though because he won’t do anything other than fly fish for them which limits the water and conditions he can fish effectively , doesn’t normally stop him catching a few but this is the first year he’s not had one . Think his new syndicate is a lot further down , I’m sure he said it’s further down than Hexham . Some of the seatrout he’s had off the south Tyne have been 7-8lb+ , from the photos he sends me they seem to be a better average size up there than down here . I haven’t fished the wear , just remember reading articles about that free stretch years ago in I think it was coarse angling today or coarse fisherman about the dace fishing being really good 

I know Alston well,I got a sparrow hawk chick from there as a kid.

I was at a party last night and got an invite to fish for trout in a few weeks from a lady who is a really good fisherman.Here’s a clip from a few weeks ago at a fish-counter.

67F79709-C200-4CA6-BD7A-E54AAA704B90.jpeg

• Like 4
On 08/10/2023 at 09:20, jukel123 said:

In 2010, I caught 20 salmon and 20 grilse.  It's my main hobby and I would spend maybe 20 hours a week when conditions are good.That would be a normal year. I don't keep records

I just remember the 20 grilse 20 salmon.

This year 0. My whole stretch,a syndicate,has produced 3 for the season.

Catches right throughout Scotland are historically  low...disastrous.

Word is it’s been equally as terrible over here, what I have read is that the Moy has been poor.

• Sad 1
On 08/10/2023 at 09:58, mackem said:

When the run is on the pools are black with fish,theres 100+ good salmon rivers in Quebec alone,I have been chatting with my kids about a 2 week salmon trip,but I think my best chance for a 40 is on the west coast.

If your heading to BC for a big chinook Mackem, I would head north, Rivers Inlet does monster size fish every year, there or Haida Gwaii would be my choice. Or if u fancy something a a bit different you could try catch a genuine tyee in a rowing boat off Campble River (the Tyee club of BC). 

WWW.TYEECLUB.ORG

Tyee Club Historical Photos Provided by The Museum at Campbell River

WWW.LEGACYLODGE.COM

Legacy Lodge - Experience the fishing adventure of a lifetime. Battle 50-60lb Chinook in...

• Thanks 1
59 minutes ago, gazjon5 said:

If your heading to BC for a big chinook Mackem, I would head north, Rivers Inlet does monster size fish every year, there or Haida Gwaii would be my choice. Or if u fancy something a a bit different you could try catch a genuine tyee in a rowing boat off Campble River (the Tyee club of BC). 

WWW.TYEECLUB.ORG

Tyee Club Historical Photos Provided by The Museum at Campbell River

WWW.LEGACYLODGE.COM

Legacy Lodge - Experience the fishing adventure of a lifetime. Battle 50-60lb Chinook in...

Thanks gaz,and happy thanksgiving.A 60 would be unreal,had a 30 and that was fantastic,but a 60 and a halibut in the same week would be next level.I will have a chat with my kids about it,time passes quick,got memories to make.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...