Salmon guys.

Gave up with salmon a few years ago because it was too much effort for too little reward but my mate still fishes for them . He hasn’t had one all season and he fishes more than anyone I’ve ever seen , he’s relentless . The 2 rivers he’s mainly fished are the ribble and lune but he’s even blanked on the south Tyne where he normally gets a few every season and the Tay , border esk and Eden . He’s had some nice seatrout though . 

• Like 2

In 2010, I caught 20 salmon and 20 grilse.  It's my main hobby and I would spend maybe 20 hours a week when conditions are good.That would be a normal year. I don't keep records

I just remember the 20 grilse 20 salmon.

This year 0. My whole stretch,a syndicate,has produced 3 for the season.

Catches right throughout Scotland are historically  low...disastrous.

2 hours ago, jukel123 said:

In 2010, I caught 20 salmon and 20 grilse.  It's my main hobby and I would spend maybe 20 hours a week when conditions are good.That would be a normal year. I don't keep records

Anything to do with otters by any chance 

2 hours ago, jukel123 said:

Its the same everywhere across the UK Jukel...we have cameras set up along a few weirs/fish passes on the wye and smaller tributaries and the numbers last 3 yrs are almost non existant...we do catch good numbers of little parr in the tributaries mind👍DSC_4996.JPG.1fe617b045122df1e809bcb74e9f1a8c.JPG

• Like 3
9 hours ago, neil r said:

he’s even blanked on the south Tyne

Tyne still produces,I fished it as a kid and am still in contact with a mate who does so,the Wear was and still is a better river for anadromous fish,one of englands top sea trout rivers,I used to live a very short walk from the bank,there was/is a free stretch in Durham City which is good.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, mackem said:

Tyne still produces,I fished it as a kid and am still in contact with a mate who does so,the Wear was and still is a better river for anadromous fish,one of englands top sea trout rivers,I used to live a very short walk from the bank,there was/is a free stretch in Durham City which is good.

I went to a talk by the guy who was responsible for reclaiming the Tyne from decades of industrial pollution. He said once he had cleaned the river up he bought fertilised salmon eggs from everywhere he could get it. This was against all the biologists advice who stipulate that salmon are genetically suited to certain rivers and the gene pool must be kept clear. He said all he knew was that he had returned the river to one of the most productive times salmon rivers in the country. It has a strong spring, summer and autumn run.

DC, our boffins say there are plenty of parr and plenty of smolts leaving the river but they just aren't returning. Reasons? Take your pick: rising sea temperatures, lice infestation from passing salmon farms, polluted rivers and seas.  Maybe being hoovered up as a bycatch by industrial size trawlers. Probably a mix of all of those factors and more. Its an emergency for the country to find out what is happening. f**k all being done.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 1
42 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

I went to a talk by the guy who was responsible for reclaiming the Tyne from decades of industrial pollution. He said once he had cleaned the river up he bought afertilised salmon eggs from everywhere he could get it. This was against all the biologists advise who stipulate that salmon are genetically suited to certain rivers and the gene pool must be kept clear. He said all he knew was that he had returned the river to one of the most productive times salmon rivers in the country. It has a strong spring, summer and autumn run

One day I will fish the Tyne and Wear again,same spots I fished while still at school,just for nostalgia.

I am planning to fish the run in Canada next year with my kids,I wouldn’t mind trying for a 40 Lb fish in BC.

EB15C944-4136-400F-92D7-B8AEA533C73A.jpeg

• Like 2
On 08/10/2023 at 16:21, mackem said:

One day I will fish the Tyne and Wear again,same spots I fished while still at school,just for nostalgia.

I am planning to fish the run in Canada next year with my kids,I wouldn’t mind trying for a 40 Lb fish in BC.

EB15C944-4136-400F-92D7-B8AEA533C73A.jpeg

Jesus that is some fish.

I've seen a 33 pounder. I've caught probably 600 or so and many  more grilse over my lifetime. Had two 19.5 in the same day and eleven salmon and grilse in the same day. In those days I sold them. But the last twenty or so years I've been putting hen fish back. 

We've got to put them all back now by law. Tbh, I don't mind doing it. They are  in big trouble.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 3
8 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Jesus that is some fish.

I've seen a 33 pounder. I've caught probably 600 or so and many  more grilse over my lifetime. But only had one over 20 lbs. And that was 20 and a half pound. Had two 19.5 in the same day and eleven salmon and grilse in the same day. In those days I sold them. But the last twenty or so years I've been putting hen fish back. 

We've got to put them all back now by law. Tbh, I don't mind doing it. They are  in big trouble.

I am confident of getting a 40 Lb’er next year.Biggest I got in UK was 27 or 28.

• Thanks 2