What to look for when choosing a pup

6 minutes ago, terryd said:

Yea I know mate. This old git nearly took my nose off one day. I couldn,t get him in back car and I went to just drag the bugger in and he flew at me. I twigged then it was the rabbit I had thrown on the floor lol. Had his teeth against my nose lol. Nearly marched him straight to vets. He did mellow with age though and I miss the grumpy old git

IMG_4500.JPG

Sounds like some boy

• Like 1

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

🤔Personally,...I don't think we should over-complicate the situation, when selecting a dog for rabbit hunting... Most lurcher types can handle this particular quarry,..obviously, some are better

Get someone else to pick one for u then moan like feck at them if its no good 

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Chaff said:

I like the one on the trampoline mate

😂

That was not on a trampoline mate, that was straight off the ground, He suffered a bad leg injury and whilst he was still recovering the inevitable happened, walking him in the summer, something got up that should not have been there, 3 times he should have jacked but he got back up and carried on, he got what he was after but he needed cooling down fast, the nearest water was about half a mile away, i carried him to it on my shoulders. When we got home he could not sit or lay down, just lent against the bars of his run for the next 24hrs. In that that time his muscle mass just disappeared. He lost half of his body weight. It took over 12 months to build that mass back up again, TBH he never ran the same again and died of Kidney failure aged 10. Looking back i should of done the right thing at the time, 

You live and learn mate.

Providing the pup is left with the dam and other pups for at least 8 weeks, preferably as close to 12 as possible, and you feed your dogs separately and don’t let kids around them you shouldn’t go far wrong with the pup that you choose. Some pups, though its very rare, are just born without the desire to work, no matter what training methods are used. A dog that has the desire to work has potential providing the owner puts the time in everyday. Check the jaw and the eyes when choosing a pup.

I’d recommend feeding the pup a raw diet from day 1, don't give the pup kibble, feed it once per day and use chicken legs not wings. Feed it rabbit and take it for walks by itself sometimes and if it barks when chasing other dogs nip it in the bud gently. ATB 

Edited by Lurcher23
  • Like 1
39 minutes ago, Chaff said:

Why do you think they turned gooduns, change of environment ? smaller kennels or gone in house perhaps could be any reason I suppose 

Cant take anything for granted in this game even if you have the right well bred litter in front of you.

But first you got to get past all the schiesters along the way.

It's a funny old game for sure

Must of always been in them, better owner, better suited owner, keener owner?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, paulus said:

That was not on a trampoline mate, that was straight off the ground, He suffered a bad leg injury and whilst he was still recovering the inevitable happened, walking him in the summer, something got up that should not have been there, 3 times he should have jacked but he got back up and carried on, he got what he was after but he needed cooling down fast, the nearest water was about half a mile away, i carried him to it on my shoulders. When we got home he could not sit or lay down, just lent against the bars of his run for the next 24hrs. In that that time his muscle mass just disappeared. He lost half of his body weight. It took over 12 months to build that mass back up again, TBH he never ran the same again and died of Kidney failure aged 10. Looking back i should of done the right thing at the time, 

You live and learn mate.

I was pulling your leg with the trampoline 😃 

You done well to get him back in condition, fantastic markings. I have also experienced the same over excited ness which resulted in mine lying in the gutter as the rain ran around him when bringing him home. He also coughed for the week after but with some good advice from socks of here he all came good👍

Also relate to the weight loss mine in his last days went to skin and bone in 48hrs.

Amazing how something so fit and full of life can waste away so quickly. 

10 minutes ago, Lurcher23 said:

Providing the pup is left with the dam and other pups for at least 8 weeks, preferably as close to 12 as possible, and you feed your dogs separately and don’t let kids around them you shouldn’t go far wrong with the pup that you choose. Some pups, though its very rare, are just born without the desire to work, no matter what training methods are used. A dog that has the desire to work has potential providing the owner puts the time in everyday. Check the jaw and the eyes when choosing a pup.

I’d recommend feeding the pup a raw diet from day 1, don't give the pup kibble, feed it once per day and use chicken legs not wings. Feed it rabbit and take it for walks by itself sometimes and if it barks when chasing other dogs nip it in the bud gently. ATB 

Why do you feed once a day? Always fed pups lots of small meals, cheers 

• Like 5
12 minutes ago, Lurcher23 said:

I'm a big believer in raw feed as well I couldn't believe the difference in the dog both mentally and physically when he came off the dry.

What you looking for with the jaw checking for over or under shot?

Also some one mentioned the colour of the roof of mouth anything in that that you know of

2 minutes ago, Chaff said:

I was pulling your leg with the trampoline 😃 

You done well to get him back in condition, fantastic markings. I have also experienced the same over excited ness which resulted in mine lying in the gutter as the rain ran around him when bringing him home. He also coughed for the week after but with some good advice from socks of here he all came good👍

Also relate to the weight loss mine in his last days went to skin and bone in 48hrs.

Amazing how something so fit and full of life can waste away so quickly. 

Sad to see, But all that crap going through the kidneys is never going to end well. Prey drive puts more in the bag but comes with the potential of other issues, Looking back i would have taken a different route with the litter but you can only learn by your mistakes, If that's the right way to describe it?. 

His sire even in his old age put plenty in the bag, He just learned to adapt. Crashed hedges and watched his quarry before deciding what to do, 

2 minutes ago, paulus said:

Sad to see, But all that crap going through the kidneys is never going to end well. Prey drive puts more in the bag but comes with the potential of other issues, Looking back i would have taken a different route with the litter but you can only learn by your mistakes, If that's the right way to describe it?. 

His sire even in his old age put plenty in the bag, He just learned to adapt. Crashed hedges and watched his quarry before deciding what to do, 

It is that I think as in learning from your mistakes and not making the same one twice 

Been Dog less for a few weeks now and have gone back over our adventures and I honestly think I ruined him by showing and doing too much to young (song) lol

So I wont be making that mistake again keen dog and keen owner 

Now needs to be keen dog steady wiser owner 👍

• Like 3