Working beardy on Countryfile

22 hours ago, Neal said:

I thought some of you might be interested to know there's been a working bearded collie (and a huntaway too) on tonight's Countryfile.

It's a feature about a farm in the Mendips. Enjoy! 

Until I see it rounding up a couple of unicorns I don’t believe it 

🤔For several years there has been a wee bit of mystique surrounding the Beardie Collie (and more so, its usage in the breeding of lurchers)...

I was brought up on a small farm and my Father schooled (or broke, as was the term back then) scores of working sheepdogs and Cow dogs...

We frequently had heavy coated, 'Bearded' type pups in the Border collie litters....there really wasn't that much difference in them physically...

The main difference with the Beardie style of working livestock was their speciality in hunting up in dense bracken and gullies, to push out sheep that were hidden away. 

They did this by being extremely forceful and of course by,...barking.....😉

This noisy approach to their work can be very helpful , in certain situations,..but,..always annoyed the feck out of me...

Much has been made of their supposed toughness, thickness of skin, pads, etc, but I do not fully agree with this opinion....🙄

That being said,..the weather proof coat of the true working Bearded Collie is useful in harsh winter conditions,..but can be an unessesary burden, in most UK climes.

I've been out with several lurcher hybrids that showed the Beardie influence,..but other than admiring their obvious beauty, I've never found them to be ideal for my woodland style of hunting, down here in the South...

Still fabulous animals though, and Im sure that if one can find a Working Beardie that has a great, outgoing temperament, matched with a sensible demeanour, then some good solid lurcher hybrids could certainly be created....

Like most things ,.it is all down to the original ingredients,..it has just got to be,.. 100% kosher....👍

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 13