Had a mooch round Manchester with the lad today. First stop the Salford museum and art gallery. Quite a few interesting displays and galleries, they even had a Victorian street set up that you can walk down and look at the different shops etc.

One section had a few interesting old signs advertising cockfighting etc that were held locally. 

PXL_20230702_112524458.jpg

PXL_20230702_112521533.jpg

• Like 5

I liked the wake week list of events. Along with foot races with a good hat as a prize there was also a well soaped pig to be released with it being won by whoever caught and held it 

PXL_20230702_112821884.MP.jpg

I'm finding myself attracted to these little old churches. I've always wanted to find faith there but am often repulsed by organised religion and the people who preach it. Perhaps the attraction lies in the history of the people who built it and found comfort there over the years. Or perhaps it's the contrast with the surrounding godless or perhaps morally defunct world that now surrounds them.

This is st Anne's church. A number of old grave stones are leaned up outside. The stain glass windows as always catching my eye

PXL_20230702_130731123.jpg

PXL_20230702_130724384.jpg

PXL_20230702_130729168.jpg

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

I'm finding myself attracted to these little old churches. I've always wanted to find faith there but am often repulsed by organised religion and the people who preach it. Perhaps the attraction lies in the history of the people who built it and found comfort there over the years. Or perhaps it's the contrast with the surrounding godless or perhaps morally defunct world that now surrounds them.

This is st Anne's church. A number of old grave stones are leaned up outside. The stain glass windows as always catching my eye

PXL_20230702_130731123.jpg

PXL_20230702_130724384.jpg

PXL_20230702_130729168.jpg

I'm exactly the same, most places we go we'll go in the church or cathedrals, I'm blown away by the architecture the commitment to building these amazing places thats built on pure faith.. I love the history of them... like you I dont practice religion and I don't think I have any faith as such, but find a real draw to churches, cathedrals etc.. 

We were in the sacre coeur in Paris many years ago and as we walked in the nuns were singing, the place is beautiful and with the singing my Mrs started crying, I've got to admit it was a strange/spiritual feeling... beautiful to be honest...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Same ,wherever I am ,I will have a look around any church and graveyard I find  ,little basic country churches right through to cathedrals , and although I have an aversion to organised religion I experience that magical,mystical feeling of reverence in them all .

• Like 4
11 hours ago, NEWKID said:

I'm exactly the same, most places we go we'll go in the church or cathedrals, I'm blown away by the architecture the commitment to building these amazing places thats built on pure faith.. I love the history of them... like you I dont practice religion and I don't think I have any faith as such, but find a real draw to churches, cathedrals etc.. 

We were in the sacre coeur in Paris many years ago and as we walked in the nuns were singing, the place is beautiful and with the singing my Mrs started crying, I've got to admit it was a strange/spiritual feeling... beautiful to be honest...

Likewise !

I am also attracted to these type of places, stately homes etc

I was lucky enough to get to see Notre Dame before the fire.

But the scale matters little, from Blenheim to Mount Stewart to the little 1000 year old church that was up the road to my old house……

My overriding thought whenever I visit these places is “We did this, this is who we are”

In a time when Englishmen and Europeans are constantly told that we can’t achieve anything on our own, constantly told what horrible, evil, destructive b*****ds we have always been these things stand as testament to the fact that it’s a lie, we are good…..we are very, very good and we never needed anyone to help us create the best things in the world.

This is 5000 years old……5000 years !!……let that sink in for a minute !

6F013D85-D7FD-4CB0-82D0-CE5FDDD43F66.jpeg.be839cb4a00183662954a1fd8454dc42.jpeg

That’s 2000 years older than the pyramids !

We gave the world everything ! 

If only more people would see it, learn it, remember it and have pride in it. 

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, WILF said:

That’s 2000 years older than the pyramids.

But the pyramids blow it away in term of size,scale and mind boggling how the f**k did they build these grandeur,anyone who has been inside one of those in Giza or valley of the kings can attest.The world is filled with man made constructions from civilisations past,Great Wall of china,Angkor Wat complex when seen from low level flight are mind boggling.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
39 minutes ago, mackem said:

But the pyramids blow it away in term of size,scale and mind boggling how the f**k did they build these grandeur,anyone who has been inside one of those in Giza or valley of the kings can attest.The world is filled with man made constructions from civilisations past,Great Wall of china,Angkor Wat complex when seen from low level flight are mind boggling.

Not to worry then, carry on as you all were ?

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, WILF said:

Not to worry then, carry on as you all were ?

Just saying to keep it in perspective,when we were running around painted in woad there were very advanced civilisations out there that would have thought us primitive.