How daft is this

Not happening any time soon but its amazing they have even mentioned it.

WWW.WALESFARMER.CO.UK

Plans to ban salmon fishing in Wales has been described as “futile and vindictive” by conservationist on the Wye.

How on earth can they think angling with a rod and line has any affect on the fish numbers. I have never fished for salmon or sewin in my life other than as a kid and not with a rod. We had great runs of fish in the local rivers in the 80's and 90's. After rain and with a bit colour on the water anglers would be spread out and you hear them whooping and getting all excited landing lovely fish. One thing that I have noticed is there was a little stream opposit where I lived. Only few feet wide and in the winter fish would push right up it. It was amazing the size of the fishing pushing up such a small stream. It used to flood a lot and literally spill out knee deep into the main road. But now never floods since the lower stretches were dredged. I guess that killed that. Farms now have more run off as they are more intensive so maybe that but what I suspect it really is maybe all these dodgey big pipes sticking out into the river from new housing estates and god knows what. But typical welsh idiots lets blame the anglers. We also want to ban artificial grass and any thing shooting related or any sort of country sports all together.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 12/06/2023 at 07:58, terryd said:

Not happening any time soon but its amazing they have even mentioned it.

WWW.WALESFARMER.CO.UK

Plans to ban salmon fishing in Wales has been described as “futile and vindictive” by conservationist on the Wye.

How on earth can they think angling with a rod and line has any affect on the fish numbers. I have never fished for salmon or sewin in my life other than as a kid and not with a rod. We had great runs of fish in the local rivers in the 80's and 90's. After rain and with a bit colour on the water anglers would be spread out and you hear them whooping and getting all excited landing lovely fish. One thing that I have noticed is there was a little stream opposit where I lived. Only few feet wide and in the winter fish would push right up it. It was amazing the size of the fishing pushing up such a small stream. It used to flood a lot and literally spill out knee deep into the main road. But now never floods since the lower stretches were dredged. I guess that killed that. Farms now have more run off as they are more intensive so maybe that but what I suspect it really is maybe all these dodgey big pipes sticking out into the river from new housing estates and god knows what. But typical welsh idiots lets blame the anglers. We also want to ban artificial grass and any thing shooting related or any sort of country sports all together.

Personal Terry I believe it's the sheer number of Seals now.  There are over 30 in Brixham harbour every headland has large groups of them a mate told me there were 18 on the mud flats at Dartmouth. What chance has the Salmon got they hug the coast as they come back to spawn they run the gauntlet at every point on the coast and right up the tidal length of the river. I live about 12 miles up the river for the mouth and as a kid it was rare to see a seal. If one was spotted me and a couple of mates would row down the river as the tide dropped keeping an eye out on the banks. We usually would find a whole Salmond laid on the bank with one bite out the back of its head. They will kill just for the fun of it like a cat with a mouse. Now one is spotted nearly every day they absolutely hammering the Salmond and also the Flounders which have declined as well, hardly a coincidence. 

Cheers Arry

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Arry said:

Personal Terry I believe it's the sheer number of Seals now.  There are over 30 in Brixham harbour every headland has large groups of them a mate told me there were 18 on the mud flats at Dartmouth. What chance has the Salmon got they hug the coast as they come back to spawn they run the gauntlet at every point on the coast and right up the tidal length of the river. I live about 12 miles up the river for the mouth and as a kid it was rare to see a seal. If one was spotted me and a couple of mates would row down the river as the tide dropped keeping an eye out on the banks. We usually would find a whole Salmond laid on the bank with one bite out the back of its head. They will kill just for the fun of it like a cat with a mouse. Now one is spotted nearly every day they absolutely hammering the Salmond and also the Flounders which have declined as well, hardly a coincidence. 

Cheers Arry

Might be onto some thing as there are plenty of seals in our estuary too now . But we also see lots of pollution reports crop up in the news as well but I am sure there all ways has been 

• Like 1
On 15/06/2023 at 14:32, terryd said:

Might be onto some thing as there are plenty of seals in our estuary too now . But we also see lots of pollution reports crop up in the news as well but I am sure there all ways has been 

The sewer from the town used to go one mile down stream by pipe into two large lagoons then overflow into reed beds then come out of a pipe black into the river. There was plenty of Salmon then along with thousands of Grey Mullet feeding off the scum from the out fall. Now you hardly see the Mullet, some but nothing like it used to be. This don't sound good but there was so many as kids we tied 4/0 hooks up the line and foul hook Mullet  fill a sack and drag them around the estate flogging them for a tanner each as cat food. Also got the occasional Red Fleshed Spotted Bass lol.

The rivers are empty now in comparison.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 2

I think there are a number of reasons why there is a decline.

Yes, the seals play their part, but water quality, and depth are the main factors. Reclaiming of land has destroyed our waterways. 

When the land is reclaimed, rain runs off very quickly, causing the river to quickly rise, but fall, just as quick. 

With un-reclaimed land, rainfall will sit on the land, and slowly make its way into the river. The river will not rise so quickly, and then during dry spells, the land will continue to feed the river with water, and the rivers will not drop as significantly, as they do today.

As a result, our river systems were much more stable and healthier.

As a kid, all our local rivers were good and deep fir the most part, and produced some fine trout and salmon. Now no salmon, and little tidlers of trout. Its a far cry, from what it was like years ago. It's sad really.

• Like 4
31 minutes ago, EDDIE B said:

I think there are a number of reasons why there is a decline.

Yes, the seals play their part, but water quality, and depth are the main factors. Reclaiming of land has destroyed our waterways. 

When the land is reclaimed, rain runs off very quickly, causing the river to quickly rise, but fall, just as quick. 

With un-reclaimed land, rainfall will sit on the land, and slowly make its way into the river. The river will not rise so quickly, and then during dry spells, the land will continue to feed the river with water, and the rivers will not drop as significantly, as they do today.

As a result, our river systems were much more stable and healthier.

As a kid, all our local rivers were good and deep fir the most part, and produced some fine trout and salmon. Now no salmon, and little tidlers of trout. Its a far cry, from what it was like years ago. It's sad really.

The rivers around here used to have far more raw sewerage going in. Used to be Black come out of the pipe and the river was teeming with fish. Beside the outfall was the best place to dig Harbour Ragworm. The outfall coming out of the sewer works now is mostly clear but we never used to have all the dishwasher tablets, Washing powder was soap we never used to put so much bleach down the sink or drain cleaning stuff. Plus Garden sprays lawn treatment etc. We don't have reclaimed land much in down here but may have run off from farms but farmers been spreading dung for hundreds of years. 

I used to work on seine netting boat on the Dart when I was young in the summer holidays and there were plenty of Salmond it wasn't unheard of for a boat to catch as many as 40 in one haul. I was never lucky enough to see that, think 5 was the most I saw in one haul. Something massive has happened and the main thing I see is large amounts of Seals. They rescue the things take them to the Seal sanitary in Cornwall then bing them up here and let them go. Even about 40 years ago in the second week in December the streams and loads of Salmond on Dartmoor. Not saying how I know.

Even with all the Seine netting boats stopped and gone over 20 of them with Anglers doing catch and release there is no sign of any recovery.

Cheers Arry

Fished yesterday evening for barbel on the wye...really surprised me the amount of salmon that were jumping out the water...infact that was the only action fish wise I saw all night ? fish of every sort,are just not about in the numbers you would see 5 yrs ago,and thats on every river up and down the country ? 

• Like 1

It’s sad state of affairs and the plonkers think banning angling will help when as allways it will be anglers who are the most concerned of the health of rivers and the state of fishing and who are most likely to know what’s going on 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, EDDIE B said:

Herbicides and pesticides have to be doing damage too. They leave the soil sterile. Probably doing a job on the rivers too?

thats been getting the blame up here in north wales for years, not many of them can do joined up thinking just enough to realise that theres not much call for that stuff for raising sheep!, One of my own views is that in some ways our rivers are now too clean, the sheite that used to be in them, human and animal, was the start of the food chain, when the water itself is pretty much sterile where does life start (plants, grazers,predators, bigger predators, man), all this bullshit about our rivers being more polluted than ever is down to clever media manipulation, same as all this net zero bollox.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, neil82 said:

thats been getting the blame up here in north wales for years, not many of them can do joined up thinking just enough to realise that theres not much call for that stuff for raising sheep!, One of my own views is that in some ways our rivers are now too clean, the sheite that used to be in them, human and animal, was the start of the food chain, when the water itself is pretty much sterile where does life start (plants, grazers,predators, bigger predators, man), all this bullshit about our rivers being more polluted than ever is down to clever media manipulation, same as all this net zero bollox.

I don't know Neil. The insects are all but gone. Has got to have a knock on effect. These little things are at the beginning of the food chain. Somethings got to give.

• Like 2