Double stranded

terryd

Was just looking through old pics and found this one of a rabbit held in the hedge. He has his head through it but only when he saw me and started leaping about. It was an old black thorn hedge and and I made a hash of setting it and he had tried to run over it. I had popped a net throught then walked to other end of hedge and just tapped it with stick as I went a long because I new a rabbit might be hiding up. Sure enough. This net was made by TC and he said the double stranded ones can hold a rabbits foot and he was right. I was ferreting once on my own and had put a stop net a long way from the holes on a hunch. The rabbit bolted slipped a net and headed off towards the stop net round the corner. I had to sort the ferret out who came out the other side. So I took ages to go look at the net. Again the rabbit was just held by its feet and was squatting in the grass calm as. It seems to have a soothing affect lol

575834119_Wm5rSq71.png.e4a8a4d4d8a875c84c0ceecec5589a4e.png

I have ordered some ENGEL extra thin. Think I will knock up a few more double stranders 

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Night Walker said:

Ideal to have a net that will really wrap them up if you preoccupied on the other side of a hedge or similar. That rabbit in the pic got a bad injury, was it like that before it got in the net?

That was when the dog decided to assist and stick his oar in 

• Haha 4

I was once told people began to make double knitt due to the low quality of materials available and the breaking strain. They just doubled up to improve the odds of a catch..

What engels have you ordered? I like the hand made but I'm lazy so soon stopped making nets and bought sheet netting.

Also i don't cry half as long for a load of holes in a sheet net 

I started a double strand long net just to use up the 4z nylon twine i had lying about one needle green + white then green +red then green and green i got a huge spool of green nylon cheap , I got to 30 yards and packed it still to start again this summer and finish it 

6 hours ago, smithie said:

I was once told people began to make double knitt due to the low quality of materials available and the breaking strain. They just doubled up to improve the odds of a catch..

What engels have you ordered? I like the hand made but I'm lazy so soon stopped making nets and bought sheet netting.

Also i don't cry half as long for a load of holes in a sheet net 

This one Smithie ultra thin 

IMG_9584.png.5677edf15a336974b2cabd2dc7126a63.png

9 hours ago, lllluke1 said:

If you had asked, I've got some of the twine Alan used to make that net here.  I can drop some round if you want.  You just need to dye it because it's bright white.

Cheers mate will see how keen I am once I used them spools 

From little acorns and all that just do odd row while kettle boiling or what ever they soon mount up. My nets are never perfect all ways a screw up some where but they will still work

dogs thinking what’s that prat doing now 

IMG_9613.jpeg.31b5b816dcdcdc5ab948b66bdb729cc8.jpeg

If Les suddenly starts selling these and making millions I will know it was one of you ! 
IMG_9590.jpeg.743f9795dc0e3737468421310e348b51.jpeg

• Like 6
  • 1 month later...

Ended up about 38 yards double strand rigged on 20.  Think it’s 15 deep. 
Ran out of twine and didn’t fancy any more.  Got 3 home made nets now a 50,25 and this one. Can’t see me making any more as I have enough now to see me out. Will draw line at stop nets and gate nets from here in :)

IMG_9841.jpeg

IMG_9834.jpeg

IMG_9837.jpeg

IMG_9832.jpeg

Edited by terryd
  • Like 6