Multi-catch rat trap

17 minutes ago, gnipper said:

Aren't they normally advertised as squirrel traps?

Squirrel trap practically same design, but an inch or two higher.

Be even interesting to hear if the squirrel one, are any good

Caught a few in the squirrel ones. Never found any multicatch good for rats. Might be ok on a pig farm with large numbers of hungry competing rats. Personally I would always look at different options for rats and squirrels if having a professional job to do 

• Like 2

Never used a rat one but l have used a Fuller "Family"squirrel trap  and a copy- cat one l made myself.

Results varied ; on the odd occasion l had two or three squirrels in the same trap -littermates l suspect- but l think aggression and dominance may have limited the number prepared to enter en masse.

I had better results using single catch traps with a bit of space between them.

Also the multi catch traps required a lot of bait to fill the bait tray underneath the cage . Far more economical to use single traps l think. 

But just because l didn't get on with multi catch cages   doesn't  mean others haven't or won't  get better results . There are a lot of things l'm not good at?

Perhaps a really big one would be more effective . I've had multi catches of squirrels and rats in pheasant catchers which offer a bit more space .

Edited by comanche
  • Like 1
On 24/04/2023 at 18:51, EDDIE B said:

Lads, any experience with these type rat traps? Was thinking of making up a couple. 

Thing is, are they a good trap, or are they only good at catching a gullible trapper?

Screenshot_20230424_185029_Gallery.jpg

One thing that strikes me is that the trap in the picture doesn't have an underfloor bait tray clipped to the base . I would think that rats would scrabble under the trap rather than enter it.

Whereas with a metal tray underneath they would have to enter the trap  to reach the corn through the wire floor.

• Like 3

Day said by others, I’ve had squirrels up to 4 (a family group) rats I’ve only ever had 2 on a couple of occasions when used in grain stores when everything has been cleared out and food source has gone and they are desperate for grub. Dig understand by rats on anything other than concrete is a problem.

The biggest palaver is Despatch ing the catch, you need a LOT of patience as it’s difficult to bottle them up to get a shot on target.

• Like 1