The Jacob Rees-Mogg Show .

I'm watching the Jacob Rees-Mogg Show on GBNews just now, and there was a discussion on the powers of the monarchy.

Evidently the government has to put any law to the monarch for approval and usually the assent is given.

BUT, the monarch can say no. 

Then Rees-Mogg said " but of course the 'magic circle' would strongly advise the monarch against saying no".

Who are this "magic circle" ? What powers or influence do they have ? Are they elected officials?

Francie, I think I may be becoming a conspiracy theorist! LOL !

Cheers.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

I'm watching the Jacob Rees-Mogg Show on GBNews just now, and there was a discussion on the powers of the monarchy.

Evidently the government has to put any law to the monarch for approval and usually the assent is given.

Then Rees-Mogg said " but of course the 'magic circle' would strongly advise the monarch against saying no".

Who are this "magic circle" ? What powers or influence do they have ? Are they elected officials?

Cheers.

Them seeds i planted are growing charts haha

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

Best i could find,

Magic circle (act. 1963), was a phrase used by the Conservative politician Iain Macleod in an article in The Spectator on 17 January 1964 about the tory leadership contest of October 1963. By referring to a 'magic circle' Macleod sought to draw attention to a coterie of nine men from the party's élite whom he thought responsible (and, in his opinion, against the majority wishes of the cabinet) for the selection of Alec Douglas-Home, fourteenth earl of Home, as the successor to Harold Macmillan as party leader and prime minister. At the time of the selection, which became public on 17 October 1963, Macleod was the party's joint chairman and the leader of the Commons; the appointment in favour of Home denied the leadership to Macleod's preferred candidate, the deputy prime minister and first secretary of state R. A. Butler, and Macleod subsequently declined to sit in Home's cabinet

14 minutes ago, paulus said:

Best i could find,

Magic circle (act. 1963), was a phrase used by the Conservative politician Iain Macleod in an article in The Spectator on 17 January 1964 about the tory leadership contest of October 1963. By referring to a 'magic circle' Macleod sought to draw attention to a coterie of nine men from the party's élite whom he thought responsible (and, in his opinion, against the majority wishes of the cabinet) for the selection of Alec Douglas-Home, fourteenth earl of Home, as the successor to Harold Macmillan as party leader and prime minister. At the time of the selection, which became public on 17 October 1963, Macleod was the party's joint chairman and the leader of the Commons; the appointment in favour of Home denied the leadership to Macleod's preferred candidate, the deputy prime minister and first secretary of state R. A. Butler, and Macleod subsequently declined to sit in Home's cabinet

So a bit like , but not the same as, “the men in grey suits’, a small cabal of powerful people in government or the establishment who can wield influence ?

Cheers.

47 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

So a bit like , but not the same as, “the men in grey suits’, a small cabal of powerful people in government or the establishment who can wield influence ?

Cheers.

So it appears.