HMR split cases

That’s strange, I thought that had been sorted, I haven’t had any split for a good couple of years now, the worst for it were Remington, closely followed by Horady, it only happened once but I got a round stuck in my browning from a split cartridge, I’ve got a couple hundred of them Winchester, I’ll check them tomorrow 

• Like 1

Today I tested some recently acquired old HMR ammo that I removed any pre split necks from.

Shooting at nearly 300 yds. All were on zero and grouped well considering I was shooting off the side of a tree.

Winchester, federal and a few CCI. Old stuff. Only the CCI split after firing but did not effect accuracy.

IMG_20230218_102459.jpg.23d7a462c2efc06f896c29510ea1c56a.jpgIMG_20230218_101349.jpg.692e04bf22d7753f80c49c6db39769fb.jpg

Well I've just got back from the gun shop. Told the owner about the split cases and he has removed all the Winchester ammo from the shelves.

I asked to exchange my split ones Nd had to open another box and check them all , out of 50 , 7 were split.

He said it doesnt matter which brand you buy all the cases are made in the same factory. 

He only has Remington at £29 per box ? Winchester were £15

1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

Winchester make their own.

CCI make pretty much everybody's after that.

S&B make their own I believe but for some obscure reason we don't see any of them.

CCI sorted the split cartridge problem and that’s why it’s rare to see a split cartridge now, I checked all the Winchester I’ve got and the Hornady ( CCI cartridge) and none of them are split, you do get a lot split after firing but I’ve had no issues with them

• Like 1

Can I just open this out a bit.

Apparently HMR ammo manufacture has improved (to the extent semi auto HMR rifles have been reintroduced in some parts of the world)

Is anyone using new ammo that is split free at the moment, if so, how vigilant are you at checking it, and what brand/type is it please?

Cheers

:good:

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Deker said:

Can I just open this out a bit.

Apparently HMR ammo manufacture has improved (to the extent semi auto HMR rifles have been reintroduced in some parts of the world)

Is anyone using new ammo that is split free at the moment, if so, how vigilant are you at checking it, and what brand/type is it please?

Cheers

:good:

I use quite a lot of HMR ammo and a couple of years ago I was checking it all and finding a lot split, then the lad in the gun shop said what I bought was new, I continued to check it and didn’t find any split from about 600 rounds, so I stopped checking them, as I said previously I checked what I have now and none split from about 250 Winchester HV’s and just over 100 Hornady

Yeah, I’ve used that, it’s what my mate used to get when he was keepering the moor near me, it’s expensive, I think it comes in boxes of 200 and are about £100, they say it’s faster and more accurate but I didn’t notice any difference, never seen any split