HMR split cases

2 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Yeah, I’ve used that, it’s what my mate used to get when he was keepering the moor near me, it’s expensive, I think it comes in boxes of 200 and are about £100, they say it’s faster and more accurate but I didn’t notice any difference, never seen any split

It was allegedly developed for a Semi auto, I have no idea what they have done with it or what makes it suitable for a semi, except it doesn't split apparently! :hmm:

2 minutes ago, Deker said:

It was allegedly developed for a Semi auto, I have no idea what they have done with it or what makes it suitable for a semi, except it doesn't split apparently! :hmm:

It was made specifically for the savage arms A17 semi, like you I don’t know what makes it suitable for a semi and all the other ammo not suitable 

• Like 1

Well during a little zeroing session yesterday I had an incident with the hmr that I have never heard of before. I had checked all the rounds for split necks before using them. After about fifteen shots I squeezed the trigger again and was met with just a click. The type you would hear if the firing pin had just hit the primer but not detonated. I ejected the case expecting to see a complete round that had failed to fire. What I got instead was an empty case and evidence that the firing pin had struck it as normal. After removing the bolt I could see the barrel was blocked about one inch in. Then I noticed unburned powder on the windscreen wiper blades. That had obviously got there when I ejected the case. So in summary, no split neck before or after, no ignition of the powder but the primer powder was obviously enough to send the bullet up the barrel. Keep your wits about you and be careful with this hateful little calibre. ?

B5649B2F-2561-4046-8507-FF19639E2581.jpeg

64917483-B2DD-4DA1-BFC9-99B29CB44937.jpeg

DD7274B6-71E1-4A93-966A-B148BD1E8D6A.jpeg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

I'm using Winchester , all cases checked but will be listening for the click.

I believe I am correct in saying that for some years CCI has made virtually all the HMR ammo and just branded it as required.     In the early days there were several other manufacturers, but they have faded away and left CCI to do the job for them.   One exception, (and there may possibly be more) is Winchester, they make their own but have historically suffered from the same issues as the rest.

In simple terms, take nothing for granted with any HMR ammo and be vigilant! 

:good:

• Like 2
4 hours ago, ianm said:

Well during a little zeroing session yesterday I had an incident with the hmr that I have never heard of before. I had checked all the rounds for split necks before using them. After about fifteen shots I squeezed the trigger again and was met with just a click. The type you would hear if the firing pin had just hit the primer but not detonated. I ejected the case expecting to see a complete round that had failed to fire. What I got instead was an empty case and evidence that the firing pin had struck it as normal. After removing the bolt I could see the barrel was blocked about one inch in. Then I noticed unburned powder on the windscreen wiper blades. That had obviously got there when I ejected the case. So in summary, no split neck before or after, no ignition of the powder but the primer powder was obviously enough to send the bullet up the barrel. Keep your wits about you and be careful with this hateful little calibre. ?

B5649B2F-2561-4046-8507-FF19639E2581.jpeg

64917483-B2DD-4DA1-BFC9-99B29CB44937.jpeg

DD7274B6-71E1-4A93-966A-B148BD1E8D6A.jpeg

Maybe one you just missed??

My granddaughter found one I had OKed!

Glad you checked.

1 hour ago, Deker said:

I believe I am correct in saying that for some years CCI has made virtually all the HMR ammo and just branded it as required.     In the early days there were several other manufacturers, but they have faded away and left CCI to do the job for them.   One exception, (and there may possibly be more) is Winchester, they make their own but have historically suffered from the same issues as the rest.

In simple terms, take nothing for granted with any HMR ammo and be vigilant! 

:good:

I think S&B make their own but not sure.

7 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Maybe one you just missed??

My granddaughter found one I had OKed!

Glad you checked.

No it definitely wasn’t split. I checked it again when I ejected it after the failure. A really strange incident. People need to be vigilant when shooting hmr because it doesn’t look like the ammunition problem has gone away. 

• Like 1