Shotgun licence

The real issue in all of this is that not one person , or institution seems to take any sort of action to get any police force to justify these things. for example the doctors ticket.  How can basic, who are supposed to support the sport jump on the band wagon and source some random doctor to fill in a form for anyone.  That doctor has never met the applicant and knows dimly squat about the person.  This is the same as any GP most doctors practices heavy many doctors most of which wouldn't be able to even identify the patient/applicant.  Ok IF the applicant was a raving violent nut job how would anyone really know what anyone would do when stressed out.  It has long been the stated aim of chief constables to reduce the numbers of certificate holders.  How can any force be allowed to operate like this without challenge.   And what are the shooting organizations doing about this.  Not a lot if anything.  All I've ever heard is that they have a meeting with the police for a chat and a cup of tea every six months or so.  That equates to zero progress. In fact they come back with a sheet of more conditions. Personally I find it very frustrating. 

2 hours ago, Stavross said:

Yours was ridiculous mate, a straight forward renewal, nothing changed and you have held a FAC for years, yet it took 9 months and instead of just renewing your ticket they mad themselves more work and put you on at temp one, the mind boggles ☹️?

Had mine over 25 yrs mate

I understand that if it’s a grant then it should take longer ( maybe not months) if they are doing their checks properly, but for the likes of us that have renewed a number of times and nothing has changed, surely it’s just a case of getting the medical form and reprinting your ticket with a different date, or am I missing something 

On 04/12/2022 at 15:41, Stavross said:

I’d have no problem paying that for a good service, spread out over 5 years it’s nothing, I’ve been lucky here, Cleveland firearms have been spot on, but I’ve heard some people having a right carry on even as something as simple as a renewal where nothing has changed, if they can change it by charging £240, just do it, but provide the service people expect, if firearms said to me, it’s going to cost you £1 a day to keep your FAC and SGC I would have no problem paying that as I think having them is worth that to me 

And that is where you and i differ. Shotgun and firearms licensing does not benefit us as shooters one bit. It is supposedly for public safety and as such should be paid by the public out of general taxation. I remember when you went to the post office and bought a license and anyone could. Then the job was given to the police and they dished them out, no recording of what guns anyone had and no mass shootings etc!  

8 hours ago, ianm said:

And that is where you and i differ. Shotgun and firearms licensing does not benefit us as shooters one bit. It is supposedly for public safety and as such should be paid by the public out of general taxation. I remember when you went to the post office and bought a license and anyone could. Then the job was given to the police and they dished them out, no recording of what guns anyone had and no mass shootings etc!  

must say i agree with you.the thousands of pounds i pay in tax each year should cover the cost of printing out another ticket.