The working Russell

Is it me or has the working Russell become like hens teeth, I’m talking 20 year ago there where Russell’s, Border Lakeland’s, lakeys and blackens all working in hunt service now it seems to be either blackens or lakeys. Just peoples opinions on why they think it’s been a shift over to the dark side? 
atb boys 

keep on digging 

1 hour ago, Daniel cain said:

consistency....

I did presume the reply would be defending Russell’s ?

your probably right DC , but also working style.

everyone seems to prefer harder dogs , where as older terrier men maybe preferred a steadier dog with a bit more self preservation.

NA at the Pembroke had 10 inch Russell’s and they were fine

on hunt days when I was visiting 

ATB T

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TonyT said:

I did presume the reply would be defending Russell’s ?

your probably right DC , but also working style.

everyone seems to prefer harder dogs , where as older terrier men maybe preferred a steadier dog with a bit more self preservation.

NA at the Pembroke had 10 inch Russell’s and they were fine

on hunt days when I was visiting 

ATB T

lol,sorry T,in my younger days I wanted everything dug and destroyed at any cost ,so kept the Black's..now I'm abit older and hopefully wiser I've changed the way I do things...don't need a hard dog that looks like it's been through a mincer everytime you get it dug?that'd why I've gone back to the Russell's ??

DSC_2590.JPG.c038e2ffb22cbfa25492e708a1a89468.JPG

• Like 10
5 hours ago, Wila08 said:

Is it me or has the working Russell become like hens teeth, I’m talking 20 year ago there where Russell’s, Border Lakeland’s, lakeys and blackens all working in hunt service now it seems to be either blackens or lakeys. Just peoples opinions on why they think it’s been a shift over to the dark side? 
atb boys 

keep on digging 

Seen a shift back towards Russell’s in the modern climate of terrier work personally 

• Like 4
29 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Seen a shift back towards Russell’s in the modern climate of terrier work personally 

That's it,gone are the days were you could load up the pick up go digging and not run the risk of being stopped on your way home,with marked up terriers and a lurcher...I know too many lads that's happened too(unlucky enough to be stopped driving cars,pick ups are the kiss of death along with vans and small SUV's),they go back to your house and they throwing the book at you for meds in the fridge,DNA testing your shovels and boots etc, pictures on the walls of dogs long gone,even owning certain books is no good ?..couple that with the anti cnuts and dog walkers with phones....harder and harder to fly below the radar...I'm to old to lose everything now and get a ban from keeping dogs...think the shame would kill me off..happy now to bolt the odd few on my mooches and the old  chicken killers if I get the call...there was a time I'd drive where ever to dig stuff, anytime of the day or night.. ?1589358803_IMG-20170115-WA00102.thumb.jpg.6e17a2ea792d57c0f68cf048ab3d6249.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

That's it,gone are the days were you could load up the pick up go digging and not run the risk of being stopped on your way home,with marked up terriers and a lurcher...I know too many lads that's happened too(unlucky enough to be stopped driving cars,pick ups are the kiss of death along with vans and small SUV's),they go back to your house and they throwing the book at you for meds in the fridge,DNA testing your shovels and boots etc, pictures on the walls of dogs long gone,even owning certain books is no good ?..couple that with the anti cnuts and dog walkers with phones....harder and harder to fly below the radar...I'm to old to lose everything now and get a ban from keeping dogs...think the shame would kill me off..happy now to bolt the odd few on my mooches and the old  chicken killers if I get the call...there was a time I'd drive where ever to dig stuff, anytime of the day or night.. ?1589358803_IMG-20170115-WA00102.thumb.jpg.6e17a2ea792d57c0f68cf048ab3d6249.jpg

summed it up perfectly dan

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

lol,sorry T,in my younger days I wanted everything dug and destroyed at any cost ,so kept the Black's..now I'm abit older and hopefully wiser I've changed the way I do things...don't need a hard dog that looks like it's been through a mincer everytime you get it dug?that'd why I've gone back to the Russell's ??

DSC_2590.JPG.c038e2ffb22cbfa25492e708a1a89468.JPG

No offence here, but I personally think the folk that jumped on the bandwagon with black dogs just never seen the proper white terriers work.... its just a fact... I know many men who kept good black terriers the best of lines from the best from 87 on but they all loved seeing a good Russell work... miles ahead of the black terriers and could do it with more class...  and way more placid in temperament but if the switch is flicked..totally different terrier....now forward 30 years and I know more men now who prefer the Irish white terrier over blacks all day long.. and I don't mean your standard English Russell..but a few decent English Russell's  were worked heavily in Ireland also ?

Edited by stop.end
Spelling
  • Like 4
18 minutes ago, stop.end said:

No offence here, but I personally think the folk that jumped on the bandwagon with black dogs just never seen the proper white terriers work.... its just a fact... I know many men who kept good black terriers the best of lines from the best from 87 on but they all loved seeing a good Russell work... miles ahead of the black terriers and could do it with more class...  and way more placid in temperament but if the switch is flicked..totally different terrier....now forward 30 years and I know more men now who prefer the Irish white terrier over blacks all day long.. and I don't mean your standard English Russell..but a few decent English Russell's  were worked heavily in Ireland also ?

What’s your Irish Russell’s? Bull blooded? 

13 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

What’s your Irish Russell’s? Bull blooded? 

There not mine... their Irish white terriers... allsorts have went into them over the past and yes bull would be in there... but not for a long long time on anything that I would know.  Plenty of English Russell's depending on the line would also be the same?  All just my opinion of course.  ?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, stop.end said:

I appreciate an honest working terrier no matter the colour,or shape, ?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1