Prizefighter, the movie about jem belcher

It was a good watch, I've mentioned it before on here I think but anyone who is interested in pugilism from the 1800s etc should read the Boxiana series by pierce Egan. 

Fascinating how many miles folk would trek to watch a scrap in those days,and in some cases only to arrive at the location to find that the fighters had "been bound over to keep the peace", and then going on another mission to the new location 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Billy b said:

It was a good watch, I've mentioned it before on here I think but anyone who is interested in pugilism from the 1800s etc should read the Boxiana series by pierce Egan. 

Fascinating how many miles folk would trek to watch a scrap in those days,and in some cases only to arrive at the location to find that the fighters had "been bound over to keep the peace", and then going on another mission to the new location 

Ill look out for that billy

Yes Len look out for the 3volumes,you can buy off amazon,kindle or paperback. Another good read is "mountain fighters - lost tales of Welsh boxing" 

About the film,I enjoyed it like i said and it was a good watch, but it's worth noting it wasn't factually correct in some places, but that's not exactly uncommon for a film is it

2 hours ago, YOKEL said:

I thought it was shite! Jem's life is well documented, so it's quite surprising this film gets so much of it wrong, it's almost as if the writer couldn't be arsed....

Yokel

Yeah if you're looking for a true to life picture of jems life and times you'll be left disappointed but taking all that away and just watching it as a film I thought it was a good watch but you do wonder why people can't get it right 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Billy b said:

Yeah if you're looking for a true to life picture of jems life and times you'll be left disappointed but taking all that away and just watching it as a film I thought it was a good watch but you do wonder why people can't get it right 

Yep, if it had just been played as a film about a fictitious character it wouldn't be bad I s'pose, but even then, the little details like the rules, they have him fighting hen Pearce wearing gloves under marquis of Queensbury....in 1805! 

Always thought John gully's life would make a great film, if done properly! Proper rags to riches....

Yokel

37 minutes ago, YOKEL said:

Yep, if it had just been played as a film about a fictitious character it wouldn't be bad I s'pose, but even then, the little details like the rules, they have him fighting hen Pearce wearing gloves under marquis of Queensbury....in 1805! 

Always thought John gully's life would make a great film, if done properly! Proper rags to riches....

Yokel

Yeah the rules I thought would be one part anyone who had done even a little bit of research would get right, or at least would be aware that gloves were not a factor in prizefighting in the 1800s 

Yes John gully led a very colourful life, prizefighter to racehorse owner and mp, his battles with Gregson alone would make great viewing if done right 

Different times,very interesting 

1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

Benny lynch film would be good, he had his struggles aswell as wins

was he a descent bareknuckle fighter from gorbals  katch ? can remember the name a few yltalking about him when i’ve grafted in glasgow