Warming up

So in human terms, as I'm sure most of you do, I'd consider my running dog an athlete. Now it's well documented that to get the best from an athlete they warm up and warm down before and after any exercise. Stretching, light movement, jogging whatever it is, thus making their muscles more supple and less prone to injury during their training, and less stiffness after. I stretch before jogging or cycling and I'm definitely no athlete! it obviously makes sense to "warm up" the dog before jogging it or running it next to a bike or vehicle. I'm curious as to how people warm up their dogs before the get fit training starts. Are there benefits from massaging the dog before and after as opposed to a warm up and warm down walk? Or is it a case of just jump on the bike and get going?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Allways massaged and stretched the whippets and greyhounds before a race. I'm convinced that most of the muscle injuries non-ped whippets suffer, especially dropped gracillis, are a result of being ra

My black bitch slammed into a tree Sunday morning and catapulted off ,couldn't walk ,I was convinced summat were broke ,but after some loxicom and good massage a couple times a day she seems sound onl

In a perfect world we give a couple of gallops to warm up but it's not a perfect world.  ?Stretches before may well reduce muscle contraction so more for us than them. So I go for them stand

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, scottpenn28 said:

So in human terms, as I'm sure most of you do, I'd consider my running dog an athlete. Now it's well documented that to get the best from an athlete they warm up and warm down before and after any exercise. Stretching, light movement, jogging whatever it is, thus making their muscles more supple and less prone to injury during their training, and less stiffness after. I stretch before jogging or cycling and I'm definitely no athlete! it obviously makes sense to "warm up" the dog before jogging it or running it next to a bike or vehicle. I'm curious as to how people warm up their dogs before the get fit training starts. Are there benefits from massaging the dog before and after as opposed to a warm up and warm down walk? Or is it a case of just jump on the bike and get going?

I always try to give them a fast walk before and after jogging beside the bike 

Allways massaged and stretched the whippets and greyhounds before a race. I'm convinced that most of the muscle injuries non-ped whippets suffer, especially dropped gracillis, are a result of being raced with the only warming up being the walk from the car to the traps !

With the lurchers, I usually walk a fair distance to where they will run, either from home or from where I've parked the motor, so they are usually warmed up, but a rub down with a rough towel, before and after racing or working does more good than harm ! ?

Cheers.

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

I always try to give them a fast walk before and after jogging beside the bike 

Do you walk them on lead so you can control their speed for the warm up? I've started getting her fit and have been letting her free run whilst walking the spaniel but obviously this can lead to her plodding or galloping  for any amount of time she pleases. So obviously no "controlled warm up" per se. 

5 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Allways massaged and stretched the whippets and greyhounds before a race. I'm convinced that most of the muscle injuries non-ped whippets suffer, especially dropped gracillis, are a result of being raced with the only warming up being the walk from the car to the traps !

With the lurchers, I usually walk a fair distance to where they will run, either from home or from where I've parked the motor, so they are usually warmed up, but a rub down with a rough towel, before and after racing or working does more good than harm ! ?

Cheers.

Yeah I can't imagine a full race when the muscles are cold does them any good at all. When you talk of stretching the dog, is this just via massage or are you physically moving there body/legs to actually perform a stretch. 

Apologies if that's a daft question, just trying to get everything right for her. Seen some people talk about muscle rub oils. Not sure what this contains but have you every used a similar product? 

30 minutes ago, scottpenn28 said:

Do you walk them on lead so you can control their speed for the warm up? I've started getting her fit and have been letting her free run whilst walking the spaniel but obviously this can lead to her plodding or galloping  for any amount of time she pleases. So obviously no "controlled warm up" per se. 

Yeah on lead. There normally on the lead whilst jogging beside bike as I’m normally beside a road. I always very the speed when on the bike slow trot fast trot etc. obviously working them will only get them really fit. 

34 minutes ago, scottpenn28 said:

Yeah I can't imagine a full race when the muscles are cold does them any good at all. When you talk of stretching the dog, is this just via massage or are you physically moving there body/legs to actually perform a stretch. 

Apologies if that's a daft question, just trying to get everything right for her. Seen some people talk about muscle rub oils. Not sure what this contains but have you every used a similar product? 

Physically stretching. This is easy on a smaller dog such as a whippet, not so easy on a 28" deer x ! ??

Many years ago I used to use rubbing oils, I think the names were Radiol and Curaco, something like that, on the whippets, but I've never used it on the lurchers.

Cheers.

PS, there's no such thing as daft questions......only daft answers ! ? !

4 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Yeah on lead. There normally on the lead whilst jogging beside bike as I’m normally beside a road. I always very the speed when on the bike slow trot fast trot etc. obviously working them will only get them really fit. 

Yeah I have to jog mine on lead too because of roads, was more curious about best ways to warm up, unsure if free running before taking her jogging was ideal compared to lead walking before, might keep her on lead next few times and see if can notice any difference in how she trots next to bike.

5 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Physically stretching. This is easy on a smaller dog such as a whippet, not so easy on a 28" deer x ! ??

Many years ago I used to use rubbing oils, I think the names were Radiol and Curaco, something like that, on the whippets, but I've never used it on the lurchers.

Cheers.

PS, there's no such thing as daft questions......only daft answers ! ? !

Yeah I can imagine the deer x takes a bit more manoeuvring. I'm not convinced she's going to like me stretching her legs out though, since toe injury she gets bit jumpy when trying to handle her feet. Will have a look into the muscle rub, thank you ?

I warm them up by giving them a rub. Same with cooling down. My vet has a background in greyhound racing so give me a few tips on warming the toes and a few stretches for the legs. I always walk them in to where I lamp. Bit of a leg stretch and find our bearings. Try get a couple of easier runs first. I’ve used greyhound run in the past after a heavy nights lamping or heavy day on the hill. Seems to keep the ticks and fleas away too. 

In a perfect world we give a couple of gallops to warm up but it's not a perfect world. 

?Stretches before may well reduce muscle contraction so more for us than them.

So I go for them standing againts the swaying in the back of the estate on the drive through twisty Devon roads. Then on arrival put on the slip and allowed to put their neck into the lead for the 1st few minutes. Finally hope for an easy rabbit to run as an opener. 

If no easy rabbit likely you can send down the beam for a run then call back on an empty bit of ground. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, white van man said:

I warm them up by giving them a rub. Same with cooling down. My vet has a background in greyhound racing so give me a few tips on warming the toes and a few stretches for the legs. I always walk them in to where I lamp. Bit of a leg stretch and find our bearings. Try get a couple of easier runs first. I’ve used greyhound run in the past after a heavy nights lamping or heavy day on the hill. Seems to keep the ticks and fleas away too. 

Yeah I tend to walk before lamling just to free her legs up a little...not that it helped mind. Will have to look into the greyhound stuff, when rubbing them down are you literally just giving them a firm rub over their legs? 

11 minutes ago, scottpenn28 said:

Yeah I tend to walk before lamling just to free her legs up a little...not that it helped mind. Will have to look into the greyhound stuff, when rubbing them down are you literally just giving them a firm rub over their legs? 

All over mate. Legs, back, neck

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, sandymere said:

In a perfect world we give a couple of gallops to warm up but it's not a perfect world. 

?Stretches before may well reduce muscle contraction so more for us than them.

So I go for them standing againts the swaying in the back of the estate on the drive through twisty Devon roads. Then on arrival put on the slip and allowed to put their neck into the lead for the 1st few minutes. Finally hope for an easy rabbit to run as an opener. 

If no easy rabbit likely you can send down the beam for a run then call back on an empty bit of ground. 

Not the first person to mention an easy run to begin with, never thought about using the swaying of the car to get their muscles working, certainly something to think about. 

Was thinking more for the summertime "get fit" sessions though, mine free runs for a few mile with the spaniel and then get back and trotting along the bike for a couple and then the last 1/4 - 1/2 mile back I get off and walk her. But for those who only have running dogs, I was curious if they walked first or did some sort of warmup before getting on the bike.