Free country

The air gun licensing laws were introduced in Scotland after a baby was shot in the head with an air gun. I think, going from memory, another older child was shot and badly injured around the same time.

I was brought up with air rifles from the age of about ten and me and one of my brothers were shot following careless use of them. I have a misshapen thumb and he has a scar running the length of his arm.

I bought my boys air rifles when they were 13 or so and caught them doing daft things with them despite me impressing upon them the importance of gun safety.

Licensing isn't so bad. In retrospect, I think 16 is about right to own an air gun.

Been reminiscing about years ago and in the 70s the police would always charge anyone caught with an air gun as it always resulted in a fine and confiscation. I got caught by an off duty Sargent in a wood with a BSA scorpion air pistol in the 70s and only being 13 at the time was fined 15 pound but i got the gun back as i claimed it was my father's and i had took it without his permission that he backed up in court. Walking through the street's back then with dead game the only comments we got were enjoy your dinner lads or are any of them rabbits for sale.

10 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Been reminiscing about years ago and in the 70s the police would always charge anyone caught with an air gun as it always resulted in a fine and confiscation. I got caught by an off duty Sargent in a wood with a BSA scorpion air pistol in the 70s and only being 13 at the time was fined 15 pound but i got the gun back as i claimed it was my father's and i had took it without his permission that he backed up in court. Walking through the street's back then with dead game the only comments we got were enjoy your dinner lads or are any of them rabbits for sale.

£15! That was a lot of money in the 70s! I had a BSA airport's

We thought it would be good fun to shoot playing cards out of each others' hands. f****n pellet hit me bang in the middle of the thumb.  I was 12. Had to get it taken out by a Dr. He gave me a bollocking for being a dick and  for having to treat me after hours and my mam gave me a bollocking and a clout.

I used to go everywhere with that gun and shot a lot of tackle with it. Used to skip school and spend all day hunting. I unscrewed the  barrel from the stock which meant I could hide it on buses etc.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Langford said:

One our teachers, Mr Valentine, used to have rabbits off us and did from the generations before us.

Legend says that one pupil skinned a cat for him, if true he must have thought it was some rabbit, the size of it.

Lol, my old Nana told me a similar tale ...my uncle Jimmy as a young lad,would catch and sell the neighbors rabbits....and the odd cat??

• Like 1

My mum told me during the war cats were sold as "Felling hares", so they allways insisted the kidneys were left in. Rabbit kidneys are offset, whereas cats kidneys are level. About the only way to tell the difference.

Cheers.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

£15! That was a lot of money in the 70s! I had a BSA airport's

We thought it would be good fun to shoot playing cards out of each others' hands. f****n pellet hit me bang in the middle of the thumb.  I was 12. Had to get it taken out by a Dr. He gave me a bollocking for being a dick and  for having to treat me after hours and my mam gave me a bollocking and a clout.

I used to go everywhere with that gun and shot a lot of tackle with it. Used to skip school and spend all day hunting. I unscrewed the  barrel from the stock which meant I could hide it on buses etc.

Remember the old man after we came out of court taking me into the local newsagents and asking the woman who owned the shop when she wanted me to start delivering papers and turned around to me and said don't think i am paying your fine you got caught remember paying it off at 50pence a week.lol

• Haha 1
Just now, chartpolski said:

My mum told me during the war cats were sold as "Felling hares", so they allways insisted the kidneys were left in. Rabbit kidneys are offset, whereas cats kidneys are level. About the only way to tell the difference.

Cheers.

That's right! My dad used to sell a lot of rabbits, and part of his sales patter was " check the kidneys, I don't sell cats!"

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Langford said:

You know what rumours are like at school.

The most famous one was the time Stabba scuttled Miss Rushworth over her desk.

Madame mcNeil the French teacher at my comp enjoyed a fondle with young teenage bucks??

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

I used to sell rabbits to an old Polish man in my local, he always wanted the kidneys left in for that reason. 

7 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

That's right! My dad used to sell a lot of rabbits, and part of his sales patter was " check the kidneys, I don't sell cats!"

I remember a lot of the older generation were happy to buy rabbits as they were just gutted and with the jackets on i dare bet those house wife's who had gone through the wars all knew how to skin a rabbit unlike most women and men for that matter today.