Lead Ban Disaster - time to get busy.

10 minutes ago, JakeFury said:

Crikey you make me feel so much better. My collection is tiny. 

I think the alloys would work better with some weight up front...thete must be a way. 

Yerr, more of an accumulation over the years Jake, plus a couple of mixed bundle buys that were so cheap I’d have been daft to turn down.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On the HSE / Reach UK date, this is a proposal only at present and whilst I have barely skimmed a few of the 220 pages, it looks like there could be exceptions. As I said earlier, hope for the best an

Everyone knows this is total bullshit but the propergander keeps on rolling with fcuking wankers like basc who have their own agenda and that is not to aid most shooting men and women. To be hone

Had I gone to the Northern Shooting show today, I was heading for BASC to see what the fcuk they are doing and after reading the statement from them in my email today, I am so pleased I dropped out of

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

Yerr, more of an accumulation over the years Jake, plus a couple of mixed bundle buys that were so cheap I’d have been daft to turn down.

If it's not JSB in origin and 8.4g it won't group in any of my Rifles... The problem is those pellets are so far ahead... Like one hold 35yard groups with no thought from by my Kral and 100 no point in me getting any thing else.. H&N always seem to let me down... Tried em all. 

I agree with Simon and I seriously believe that there is not enough profit in pellets to spend on research and development to produce an ACCURATE, RELIABLE pellet at a PRICE that will satisfy the airgun hunter. You also have to consider how many countries will not be having a lead ban so as a business decision, would I bother investing many thousands of £ / $ or whatever to produce a pellet to satisfy the UK and EU when there may be a huge market in other countries and once again the UK is left behind.

Just my opinion and only time will tell but when you have a group such as basc so called standinhg up for shooters, we are doomed as they will not be helping our cause but the really sad thing here is that a great many shooters join basc because they think they are supporting it's members......................................what a mistake to make !!!!!

Phil

• Like 1
1 hour ago, philpot said:

I agree with Simon and I seriously believe that there is not enough profit in pellets to spend on research and development to produce an ACCURATE, RELIABLE pellet at a PRICE that will satisfy the airgun hunter. You also have to consider how many countries will not be having a lead ban so as a business decision, would I bother investing many thousands of £ / $ or whatever to produce a pellet to satisfy the UK and EU when there may be a huge market in other countries and once again the UK is left behind.

Just my opinion and only time will tell but when you have a group such as basc so called standinhg up for shooters, we are doomed as they will not be helping our cause but the really sad thing here is that a great many shooters join basc because they think they are supporting it's members......................................what a mistake to make !!!!!

Phil

Good points mate. 

BASC are making a huge mistake. They've gone the nimbies route. Remember all the road protestor that halted road developments in the 80s. BASC have bought into the environmental movement, seaking to ride on the coat tails of all the dodgy science, to further the very activity the upper echelons actually want to ban. Stupid stupid stupid. 

1 hour ago, philpot said:

Phil

JSB are making lead free slugs, how good they are, and how much r&d/investment they are putting into them I don’t know. Whatever, it’s looking like anything bigger than .22 hasn’t got much longer on lead. I’ve just tried some H&N ftt green at 25 yards with my v-mach hw99. Only shot three five shot groups and got rained off. I’ll post a picture of the target and some chrono results tomorrow if I have time. I don’t think anyone will be surprised at the results.

42 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

JSB are making lead free slugs, how good they are, and how much r&d/investment they are putting into them I don’t know. Whatever, it’s looking like anything bigger than .22 hasn’t got much longer on lead. I’ve just tried some H&N ftt green at 25 yards with my v-mach hw99. Only shot three five shot groups and got rained off. I’ll post a picture of the target and some chrono results tomorrow if I have time. I don’t think anyone will be surprised at the results.

It does amaze me that H&N have just thought... Ah... OK.... That looks OK let's leave it at that. 

19 hours ago, philpot said:

Phil

JSB are making lead free slugs, how good they are, I don’t know. I’ve just tried some H&N 

After the poor results on the top three 5 shot groups yesterday, I got rained off. This morning I tried the bottom right at 30 yards and they were accurate. Bottom left at 35 yards, much better than at 25 yards but opening up slightly. They must be stabilising somewhere between 25 and 30 yards? Anyway, there’s another problem, and it’s a major one. This rifle is running at a very consistent 598fps/10.66ft lbs with 13.43 grain jsb jumbo rs. Now, the 9.56 grain h&n ftt green went over the chrono at a very consistent 778fps/12.85ft lbs? so I cant use lead free pellets in the hw99 unless I reduce its performance with lead down to around 9ft lbs. So there’s another potential problem thrown into the mix.

CD705D03-08B1-4F5F-820D-FE383EC176BD.jpeg

3 hours ago, Dervburner said:

After the poor results on the top three 5 shot groups yesterday, I got rained off. This morning I tried the bottom right at 30 yards and they were accurate. Bottom left at 35 yards, much better than at 25 yards but opening up slightly. They must be stabilising somewhere between 25 and 30 yards? Anyway, there’s another problem, and it’s a major one. This rifle is running at a very consistent 598fps/10.66ft lbs with 13.43 grain jsb jumbo rs. Now, the 9.56 grain h&n ftt green went over the chrono at a very consistent 778fps/12.85ft lbs? so I cant use lead free pellets in the hw99 unless I reduce its performance with lead down to around 9ft lbs. So there’s another potential problem thrown into the mix.

FFS...... Have you got some grain scales mate? 

Sounds like they aren't the correct weight to me, thafs a big jump in energy for something with a finite ability to discharge energy like a spring. 

8 hours ago, Dervburner said:

Not a straight forward situation for airguns DB as you have pointed out.

Bet it won't be long before lead weights in fishing comes into the mix water pollution blah blah just absurd. I have few old side by sides. I will just whack standard steel through them. Won't lose any sleep over chokes. Air rifles never occurred to me.  

8 hours ago, terryd said:

Bet it won't be long before lead weights in fishing comes into the mix water pollution blah blah just absurd. I have few old side by sides. I will just whack standard steel through them. Won't lose any sleep over chokes. Air rifles never occurred to me.  

Kead fishing weights is banned from many waters now and they are seriously hard to buy in this country. My pal goes to France where there is no lead bal so he buys a load every time he goes.

I was told by an RFD I went into today that some American on youtube has carried out tests on pellets, live ammo and shotgun using all the different metals available, only one metal perfromed as well as lead for grouping and in the case of shotguns, pattern and that is GOLD. Needless to say this was only for testing but it does make you think what an uphill struggle this is likely to be.

Phil