Which springer too buy?

HW 97 in .177 cal or HW 77 in .177 cal at sub 12 level are both very accurate and powerful rifles but definitely benefit from a tune.

However I also shoot the Pro Sport and the TX 200 HC MK3 also both in .177 cal, no tune required, excellent rifles untouched. 

Good luck with your choices Adam - please shoulder everyone`s suggested rifles for fit, first buddy :good:

• Like 2

ive a early mk1 95 full length fully tuned ,ive had tons of springers this is the best ive owned but then again it was paul sewells old gun he done all the work on it as good as any pcp in the right hands oh and its 22

• Like 1

Thanks lads I've bought a hw 99 in .177 now. Really thinking I should of done more research as I spoke too a fella from Monmouthshire who tunes guns and he said that the 99 in .177 may have problems if I put a tuning kit in it. Not sure if it's true but don't want too mess the gun up. He said I would of been better of with .22? Atb Adam 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, villaman said:

Yep .22 would’ve been better , but saying that one of the shooters on here use to tune a few guns  and he got 99 .177 running real good apparently. 

Do you know what tuning kit he used by any chance mate or even the fellas name so I could speak too him. Cheers atb Adam 

19 hours ago, Adampie8432 said:

Do you know what tuning kit he used by any chance mate or even the fellas name so I could speak too him. Cheers atb Adam 

not very often I post in this section but villaman asked me to point you in the right direction!

the hw99 in .177 is fine and can be made to shoot just as well as a .22

I bought one just so I could see what could be done with one to make it better, I never hunted with it and sold it straight on to a mate off here who still owns it and loves it!

this is just my opinion after tuning lots of guns.. save your money on drop in kits and work with what you've got!

first off the finishing on factory stock springs is sh1te there rough as f...

IMG_0514.jpeg.37cb8b906b7904e625c1f9990cf6c7ff.jpeg

re finish the spring with a dremmel as in your aiming to get it to stand plumb on the workbench or table,, might take a blowtorch and pliers  to get its profile right, when you look down the spring it wants to be inline all the way down the profile and test it moves freely on the top hat and lower guide!

when that's done your 80% there.. the next thing is the piston seal, there not bad but the likes of a Vortek or custom air seal make better and you'll get a thud rather than a bounce when you shoot.. they can be spun in a drill on the piston till they will naturally fall through the compression tube when you take your finger off the transfer port.. size it with fine wet&dry paper.

also replace the breach seal, this is the yellow one the blacks a Vortek piston sealIMG_1878.JPG.d12a49925cecf29fa5c738f1ddc3010c.JPG

that should have you running at more or less full power for a sub 12 and of smoothed the firing cycle out... the next part is more to do with the cocking, the main problem of gualing/ rough cocking in some of the 99's ive seen is that the plastic under guide is under far to much tension,, theres a spring under it.. this can be shortened or removed and takes the pressure off the piston when cocking.. you can even sand the plastic guide carefully to smooth it out even more!

you can fully go to town on the piston and button them, I did on the one I bought but it might be a bit much depending how good you are with machinery. 

IMG_0475.jpeg.3ffed783e5a4ea7222471287f0d4686a.jpeg

this was the photo the lad who I sold to sent me after he got it zeroed :)

8b742d58-fb61-4b44-a3fe-8c3657ed9dc1.jpg.6ca1d744608de6e10716cd5e28905265.jpg

if you get stuck or want any help pm me as its not often I look in this bit!

• Like 4
2 hours ago, si brown said:

not very often I post in this section but villaman asked me to point you in the right direction!

the hw99 in .177 is fine and can be made to shoot just as well as a .22

I bought one just so I could see what could be done with one to make it better, I never hunted with it and sold it straight on to a mate off here who still owns it and loves it!

this is just my opinion after tuning lots of guns.. save your money on drop in kits and work with what you've got!

first off the finishing on factory stock springs is sh1te there rough as f...

IMG_0514.jpeg.37cb8b906b7904e625c1f9990cf6c7ff.jpeg

re finish the spring with a dremmel as in your aiming to get it to stand plumb on the workbench or table,, might take a blowtorch and pliers  to get its profile right, when you look down the spring it wants to be inline all the way down the profile and test it moves freely on the top hat and lower guide!

when that's done your 80% there.. the next thing is the piston seal, there not bad but the likes of a Vortek or custom air seal make better and you'll get a thud rather than a bounce when you shoot.. they can be spun in a drill on the piston till they will naturally fall through the compression tube when you take your finger off the transfer port.. size it with fine wet&dry paper.

also replace the breach seal, this is the yellow one the blacks a Vortek piston sealIMG_1878.JPG.d12a49925cecf29fa5c738f1ddc3010c.JPG

that should have you running at more or less full power for a sub 12 and of smoothed the firing cycle out... the next part is more to do with the cocking, the main problem of gualing/ rough cocking in some of the 99's ive seen is that the plastic under guide is under far to much tension,, theres a spring under it.. this can be shortened or removed and takes the pressure off the piston when cocking.. you can even sand the plastic guide carefully to smooth it out even more!

you can fully go to town on the piston and button them, I did on the one I bought but it might be a bit much depending how good you are with machinery. 

IMG_0475.jpeg.3ffed783e5a4ea7222471287f0d4686a.jpeg

this was the photo the lad who I sold to sent me after he got it zeroed :)

8b742d58-fb61-4b44-a3fe-8c3657ed9dc1.jpg.6ca1d744608de6e10716cd5e28905265.jpg

if you get stuck or want any help pm me as its not often I look in this bit!

Thank you mate I really appreciate it. I've sent you a pm. Atb adam

• Like 1
2 hours ago, philpot said:

Nice one Si, it's amazing how boring it gets when you are stuck at home, by the way who shot the target for you ................................................ ?

Phil

? it went to Matt in wales 

• Haha 1