Finally took the 4hr drive to our states yearly fur sale and gotta say it was worth it . Got to meet alot of online freinds face to face crack a bunch of jokes,good times.

Cats went for a high of $75 beaver topped out at $16 and think otter got up to $50 green still kinda low but better then expected

IMG_20220226_092746484.jpg.bae65156e90db0691ca24db4e710084a.jpgAnnnd I need up dropping like $180 on traps snaring supplies and raffle tickets ??

IMG_20220226_124124975_HDR.jpg.b0e136b40d320f2a7e8eabacae5f3b12.jpg

• Like 13

52 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Finally took the 4hr drive to our states yearly fur sale and gotta say it was worth it . Got to meet alot of online freinds face to face crack a bunch of jokes,good times.

Cats went for a high of $75 beaver topped out at $16 and think otter got up to $50 green still kinda low but better then expected

IMG_20220226_092746484.jpg.bae65156e90db0691ca24db4e710084a.jpgAnnnd I need up dropping like $180 on traps snaring supplies and raffle tickets ??

IMG_20220226_124124975_HDR.jpg.b0e136b40d320f2a7e8eabacae5f3b12.jpg

You defo do bring a welcome change to this site wolfdog

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, mackem said:

Beaver castor? 

I read last year that north bay fur harvesters auction had 230+ polar bear pelts in storage they couldn't sell

Screenshot_20220226_183110.jpg

Yeeep lotta guy brought it in frozen. Was selling for an average of $4 an ounce with I a little on the low side

5 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

That trap looks big, for you guys tastes, mate! What gives there?

Yeah it's a bigger one. TS85 strictly a beaver trap. Dude to their large back feet you need to have a trap with a large jaw spread . Other wise that can just step in them set them off and not get caught. Thing is stupid easy to set over you knee though wich I really like unlink some other ones.IMG_20220226_181434114.jpg.f5f4b267aa1a81e35637667c0e3961fd.jpg

And hee a comparison. From left to right you have a Bridger 1.75( fox trap can be used for coyote but on the small side) Duke #2 ( and all around trap) a Duke #4 ( coyote trap ) and the TS85 

IMG_20220226_181318283_HDR.jpg.38c66d1863b9d473c9f95cbbbbc9dd87.jpg

• Like 7

Setting traps over one knee. I've seen it done with long springs. Photographs, anyway.

Having handled various coil springs, like those? It's all just completely beyond me. I've stood on the levers of coils. Could of waited for a bus, standing there.

Got a couple of old B&L Beaver traps here, somewhere. Thought they might have been called " 44's "? Dunno. Can't remember. Think one has teeth. Other doesn't. Both ..... christ, what do they call it? Under springs? Don't think they did coils, back then.

Anyway, same thing. Could never fathom how anyone managed to depress those springs.

4 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Setting traps over one knee. I've seen it done with long springs. Photographs, anyway.

Having handled various coil springs, like those? It's all just completely beyond me. I've stood on the levers of coils. Could of waited for a bus, standing there.

Got a couple of old B&L Beaver traps here, somewhere. Thought they might have been called " 44's "? Dunno. Can't remember. Think one has teeth. Other doesn't. Both ..... christ, what do they call it? Under springs? Don't think they did coils, back then.

Anyway, same thing. Could never fathom how anyone managed to depress those springs.

This n your talking about a double jump or double underspring trap. Like this but two leaf springs ?

full-28397-95250-ddaa8eaa_18ee_41fe_b3d0_cfadc7d97e90.jpeg.1f085f7add93392e7e4eaeb2d726612c.jpeg

Yeah these are a pain to set by hand honestly. Most people just put one foot in the swivel point on the left and kinda kick down on the spring like you'd do if you where staring a dirt bike. Their considered obsolete by alot of people.

But as far as setting coils most of the time you just sit them on the ground fourm you hand into a circle placing then on the springs. And you just push down with you upper body weight and it's usually enough to pop then open. Most coil springs aren't super strong at all. Now ones like the coyote cuffs bridger #5's and similar you just use your feet or a setter

5 hours ago, Lenmcharristar said:

You ever eat beaver meat, not the lady garden kind. Proper swamp rat beaver?

???? But no not yet how ever the first one I catch I'm pulling the back straps out and trying. Eveyone I talk to LOVES IT ! Supposed be one of these wild game meats out there if cooked correctly. There actually a fella who traps them so much for ( in his state their in about every road ditch or creek) he grinds them into burger and it's what him and his family eat alot. Not because he's poor btw ,guy has a white collar tech job the meat is just that good. Actually here's a video from him

15 hours ago, gamerooster said:

I wish we could use the coilspring traps over here, much easier to set 20 than 20 cage traps and a lot safer than snares for none target catches.

Yeah a properly set up foot hold is a great tool. Most of mine are set up with double laminations offset jaws and extra swivels in the chain. Some have shock springs some don't. But let me tell you somtimes I wish they worked the way the antis say they do? Noting like coming to a set for the fourth time in a week to see the same dog just sitting there with the trap on the same foot waiting for you to come release it ?? had one in perticular that would hop in the truck after I released it and get a ride back to the house 

Heck I had a dog who if she was interested in the bait or lure see didn't care. As soon as I'd be done making the set and walk back to the truck, she walk right over get caught yip and just sit there lookin at me wagging her tail ??

• Haha 1
42 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

???? But no not yet how ever the first one I catch I'm pulling the back straps out and trying. Eveyone I talk to LOVES IT ! Supposed be one of these wild game meats out there if cooked correctly. There actually a fella who traps them so much for ( in his state their in about every road ditch or creek) he grinds them into burger and it's what him and his family eat alot. Not because he's poor btw ,guy has a white collar tech job the meat is just that good. Actually here's a video from him

The man lives well, listen to his meat trapper radio. Wouldn't mind trying turtle and catfish trapping like he does.