Christmas trees

1 hour ago, scottpenn28 said:

They tend to run from 1 group of trees to another and from that group to the next, rarely back to fence.

My though was to long net between 2 banks of trees and try push them towards the net 

Sounds like it would be a right giggle with a pack of bushing terriers 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Samrog said:

Ahh. I’m sure you’ll crack it mate you’re keen enough  ?? 
yeah he’s alright he’s only done about  half dozen rabbits so far been taking it steady with him. Gonna start doing a lot more at end of shooting season  til end of  season.  Not been out with the ferrets and him yet. Excited tho. 

Yeah mate I've every faith in her, she has time on her side so trying not to rush it but at same time don't want her not knowing what to if that makes sense. 

Sounds like he's coming on a treat pal! Lovely looking dog too! 

On 19/01/2022 at 11:57, scottpenn28 said:

Any lads on here have much experience of rabbits around Christmas trees? 

Got some permission on Christmas tree farm and few rabbits on there getting at the young trees. Have taken a few rabbits from the Warren's on the outside of the field with the ferrets but got 1 Warren that I have no access too. Been watching the rabbits from that Warren leave home, squeeze under the fence and into the Christmas trees. 

Have attempted to lamp them with the dog, more hopefully than expecting but as I thought would be the case I'm losing them through the trees on the lamp. 

I've heard about people setting up long nets and using terriers to flush rabbits into the net. My spaniel would happily do this but would prefer to use lurcher pup as its enclosed and ideal situation for her to get close to rabbits. Using both dogs is a no-go at the minute as when the spaniel gets hyped up on scent, the lurcher seems to know and turns into a nut job. 

Any suggestions/previous experience be much appreciated before I resort to shooting them. 

Get yourself into the timber,.. lay your nets all along the outside runs, adjacent to the fence line,...you will have some grand sport?

But keep an eye on the webs, because there is often far more than rabbits, lying up, in plantations?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 6
31 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

Get yourself into the timber,.. lay your nets all along the outside runs, adjacent to the fence line,...you will have some grand sport?

But keep an eye on the webs, because there is often far more than rabbits, lying up, in plantations?

PICT0018.tif.jpg

Luckily it's not as large as the one if your picture, else I think I'd need more long nets ?

Have seen plenty other stuff kicking about in the trees, none of which he's happy to see in there! Should certainly make for a good day though

Thanks ?

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

PICT0018.tif.jpg

I reckon I know where that might be. We do a similar place, maybe that place. And you’re right, it is a case of cover all exits, tip the dogs in and wait for the party to start ? 

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, scottpenn28 said:

Will have a look at them but like I said to Katchum, don't really know enough about trapping to think I'd do any good 

Just had a look at them drop boxes, seem like a good bit of kit but not sure how happy land owner will be about me digging a big box into his field. Be worth a mention though I reckon ?

Worth noting as well your boxes might need a drain so worth considering when you’re sighting the box how far you might have to dig a drain away. I inherited some boxes on some land and none had drains some were brimmed full of water others were fine without 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Chevy Chase said:

Worth noting as well your boxes might need a drain so worth considering when you’re sighting the box how far you might have to dig a drain away. I inherited some boxes on some land and none had drains some were brimmed full of water others were fine without 

Tbh I think for this place I'm gonna give it a go trying to push them into the long net. If that fails then guess I'll be shooting them.

Those boxes could definitely be of some use on other permission though so think gonna have a go at making 1 ?

5 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Foxes love lying up in the Christmas trees as well. Small spot we did for years never failed to produce as long as we never over did it, every 2nd or 3rd week and you were sure somebody was getting a run. 

726763a2-c023-472e-9087-e7f2d1e9b2b5_2.24511ed3568a7d05a9166641c9c4578e.jpeg

9 hours ago, dogmandont said:

Foxes love lying up in the Christmas trees as well. Small spot we did for years never failed to produce as long as we never over did it, every 2nd or 3rd week and you were sure somebody was getting a run. 

I walk past it on the regular as is very local, almost everytime I give a quick shine of lamp just to see what's in there, old Charlie is about. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, scottpenn28 said:

I walk past it on the regular as is very local, almost everytime I give a quick shine of lamp just to see what's in there, old Charlie is about. 

I sat last night and tried to coax one out by calling it..... Just sat and watched me?

1 hour ago, Daniel cain said:

I sat last night and tried to coax one out by calling it..... Just sat and watched me?

These trees are located on 2 sides of a main road, ive had Charlie follow me from 1 field of trees, across the main road and into the next patch of trees whilst I've been walking with lamp, muntys and the odd roe are not uncommon either, but they are slight for wary of following ?