Basic retrieval problems

I bought a half collie half saluki/greyhound who is now 9 months old. I originally bought him just as a pet to help keep me fit but would like to do some ferreting with him eventually if i can get him to that point. 

His recall is great if no dogs around, ok if dogs are around and awful if he sees a a squirrel or a deer. Is this about normal at this age or should he be more obedient in said situations? He seems very social compared to most lurchers ive seen previous, for example if he sees a dog on the other side of the park he will run over, 100m to go play bow at it and try get it to play. Another point is he only really responds to me if he can food in my hand, should i phase the food out eventually and how?

One other thing that also concerns me is that his retrieval is not existent most of the time. any advice with that would be great, hell playfully chase toys inside but wont bring back to me most of the time, hell only bring back occasionally if i give him cheese straight after, outside hell chase sticks but rarely bring back, if a another dog has a ball he enjoys taking the ball from that dog in an attempt of get the other dog to play of hell just chase that dog chasing the ball lol. he also once found some rotting animal carcus and trying to get him away from that and continuing with the walk was a nightmare which makes me think he isnt going to want to partways with rabbit if i eventually use him for ferreting.

I also appreciate that he still he needs time to mature. which has me thinking when do lurchers tend to grow up 

Any advice would be great

32 minutes ago, Ripley7692 said:

He seems very social compared to most lurchers ive seen previous, 

I don't get that part Ripley lurchers as a rule are generally very good round dogs .watch Perdys progress on YouTube .and as for retrieving cut his space right down a alley way or a lobby are good places to start and if needs be get down on one knee and use a silly voice if you have to .make everything a game play tug of war but remember he's still a pup and don't over do any training in case he gets bored message casso or neal on here they will point you in the right direction 

• Like 2

Time flies and 9 months will turn into a year then two. I would get a handle on it and stop all the legging it off to meet dogs as bow wow and play can turn into some thing else if things go wrong. My dog is a liability so I am in no position to advise lol but good luck 

• Like 1

Take him some where quiet and away from dog walkers and make retreaving a game and once he looks to be getting bored stop and start again next time out, also use a dummy or tug toy to throw and if dog don't give back just offer him a treat and anything like mine they do anything for a custard cream ? 

I don't no many lurchers that can be called off something when it's in pursuit of prey and that's what a squirrel is.

if I was you I'd get a ferret and get him broken to it and get him out as you might find things click once he as a few rabbits bolted to him ,

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Ripley7692 said:

I bought a half collie half saluki/greyhound who is now 9 months old. I originally bought him just as a pet to help keep me fit but would like to do some ferreting with him eventually if i can get him to that point. 

His recall is great if no dogs around, ok if dogs are around and awful if he sees a a squirrel or a deer. Is this about normal at this age or should he be more obedient in said situations? He seems very social compared to most lurchers ive seen previous, for example if he sees a dog on the other side of the park he will run over, 100m to go play bow at it and try get it to play. Another point is he only really responds to me if he can food in my hand, should i phase the food out eventually and how?

One other thing that also concerns me is that his retrieval is not existent most of the time. any advice with that would be great, hell playfully chase toys inside but wont bring back to me most of the time, hell only bring back occasionally if i give him cheese straight after, outside hell chase sticks but rarely bring back, if a another dog has a ball he enjoys taking the ball from that dog in an attempt of get the other dog to play of hell just chase that dog chasing the ball lol. he also once found some rotting animal carcus and trying to get him away from that and continuing with the walk was a nightmare which makes me think he isnt going to want to partways with rabbit if i eventually use him for ferreting.

I also appreciate that he still he needs time to mature. which has me thinking when do lurchers tend to grow up 

Any advice would be great

One thing that I think works a treat on all dogs and is massive in the gun dog world, is a long lead(line). Don’t know many people who use them with lurchers but I did with mine and seemed to work well. Get a ball or dummy throw it within the limit of how long the lead is. Let the dog go and pick it up if the dog doesn’t come back just rain it back to you then reward. I think the reason it works well is you eliminate the chance of fail. There for you can reward the dog more and sooner, and stops a lot of confusion for a older dog that doesn’t already retrieve. Might help 

• Like 3

Tug training is the best way I have found to teach a pup to retrieve and it’s simple and you can do it sat in the chair in the kitchen. Apart from one ignorant saluki x every other running dog I’ve had has been a natural retriever when brought up with the tug training. 

• Like 3

Loads of good advice ?. The fact that you are bothered to ask is a positive step.

I incorporate all: Tug toys, using a confined space, train without other dogs, long line. I'd add that 6 to 12 months can be unbelievably frustrating as most dogs will be pushing boundaries. Keep calm as poss and I'd  recommend fun and low key reinforcement of sit / down / stop / stay come; every day so at least there is basic obedience. I use treats but also praise by stroking and talk at the same time 

With retrieving I expect 95% with toys like mini tyre (made by Kong, they bounce like bolting rabbit clays and really get dogs attention ) but honestly have mixed results with rabbits to hand, although can always get them to retrieve close. This I suspect is something to do with my body language or actions.

Lastly if it's not already broken to ferrets get on it ASAP, the level of safety you need ferreting when the action is kicking off is perfect, and IMO it's a stage beyond what seems ok if you don't own ferrets 

Best wishes ?

• Like 4
13 hours ago, Luckee legs said:

Loads of good advice ?. The fact that you are bothered to ask is a positive step.

I incorporate all: Tug toys, using a confined space, train without other dogs, long line. I'd add that 6 to 12 months can be unbelievably frustrating as most dogs will be pushing boundaries. Keep calm as poss and I'd  recommend fun and low key reinforcement of sit / down / stop / stay come; every day so at least there is basic obedience. I use treats but also praise by stroking and talk at the same time 

With retrieving I expect 95% with toys like mini tyre (made by Kong, they bounce like bolting rabbit clays and really get dogs attention ) but honestly have mixed results with rabbits to hand, although can always get them to retrieve close. This I suspect is something to do with my body language or actions.

Lastly if it's not already broken to ferrets get on it ASAP, the level of safety you need ferreting when the action is kicking off is perfect, and IMO it's a stage beyond what seems ok if you don't own ferrets 

Best wishes ?

what would you recommend if hes picking up the thrown toy but dropping it once he comes to me for cheese, as in he'll come back to me once i call him but not bring the toy back to me

On 29/12/2021 at 21:09, SheepChaser said:

Tug training is the best way I have found to teach a pup to retrieve and it’s simple and you can do it sat in the chair in the kitchen. Apart from one ignorant saluki x every other running dog I’ve had has been a natural retriever when brought up with the tug training. 

Thanks, could you elaborate on this a bit please, he does love a bit of tug of war but as soon as i let him win he'll go to his chair with the toy and chew/ attempt to destroy the toy. How could i transfer tug game to retrieving skill?

1 minute ago, Ripley7692 said:

what would you recommend if hes picking up the thrown toy but dropping it once he comes to me for cheese, as in he'll come back to me once i call him but not bring the toy back to me

Just drop it near you a couple of feet at most and encourage him to get it if not not play tug with him tease him with it so he wants to play .make everything a game 

• Like 1
On 29/12/2021 at 18:51, Runner96 said:

One thing that I think works a treat on all dogs and is massive in the gun dog world, is a long lead(line). Don’t know many people who use them with lurchers but I did with mine and seemed to work well. Get a ball or dummy throw it within the limit of how long the lead is. Let the dog go and pick it up if the dog doesn’t come back just rain it back to you then reward. I think the reason it works well is you eliminate the chance of fail. There for you can reward the dog more and sooner, and stops a lot of confusion for a older dog that doesn’t already retrieve. Might help 

Thanks, I do have a long line ill give this ago with some cheese tomorrow. what would you do if he drops the toy once he realises im call him back though

36 minutes ago, Ripley7692 said:

Thanks, I do have a long line ill give this ago with some cheese tomorrow. what would you do if he drops the toy once he realises im call him back though

I would play a game with him, drag it along the floor making hissing noises, tease him a little with it.  make him want to have it in his possession. If still no joy I would stop and try again the next day. Or try advice from others on here. Also I think if you are showing him his reward too early as in a piece of cheese he will drop what ever he is carrying as it’s more of a appeal to him. He will lose interest in what ever you are trying to get him to retrieve.  

54763E8F-33ED-451B-9846-2D42A5DB510E.jpeg

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Ripley7692 said:

There's some advice in following replies. I'd add, try in confined space like an alleyway and over a short distance. Definitely make it a game. I'd avoid open spaces until he's bringing objects back. Once they get the idea I don't feed treats unless there's a retrieve, yes I always pet them for coming back but no food. Be prepared that they'll be good days and bad days and don't quit on him or lose your temper. Most dogs want to please us.